Finally the Defensive Edge LRKM is unveiled

Be nice if I could see it , none of the pictures showup for me ?

Here ya go Bumper! Prepair to be amazed!!:)gun)

LRKMWEB-DESERT.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqCMfTZuWB8]2751 YARD PRACTICE WITH 338 EDGE + P , LRKM RIFLE - YouTube[/ame]

Thank you Broz you are a real gentleman . Your right it is quite interesting . A Bull Pup design .
I particularly like the way the forend tube connects with the action in the support of the lower stock rail . That would be more rigid than some others I have seen .
I am only assuming that the forend tube and the lower are 'Two Pieces " .
I reckon they would have to be two pieces .
Nice work , very nice indeed.
I watched the vid and it was awesome shooting but they did have a beautiful calm day to assist .
Still fantastic accuracy for a light weapon with the potential to be even more compact .
The only thing I did not like was the cut away from the actual shot discharging . I like to see that part so I can make up my own mind on how well the gun actually handled under recoil.
Still very impressive . Thanks .

I like to see that part so I can make up my own mind on how well the gun actually handled under recoil.
Still very impressive . Thanks .

Well I have shot that one at 2550 yards and then ordered my own. Maybe that will tell you more about how well it handled under recoil.:) I am very anxious to get mine and start bonding with it.

Jeff gun)----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your a lucky man Broz , I could not afford a gun like that .
When you get it I would be real interested in seeing some internal photos if that's possible. Like don't pull it apart on my account if you don't want to.
I have been toying with the idea of a compact and light bull pup design for a bike gun to hunt hogs and to keep it nice and short but still have a decent barrel length. I would most likely make the cheek rest and butt pad adjustable but it's the trigger actuating system that would have me stumped .
How much is it setting you back?

Shawn-

Are people going to be able to shoot the regular Edge round in a +P chamber with any kind of accuracy? Or is it really a one or the other proposition?
I was thinking some kind of a set up where you use the regular edge in your magazine when doing some spot and stalk and then when you get set up to go, go the +P for your long range shots?

Thanks,

Travis

As far as I can work out , the +P is not a chamber modification other than a longer throat to allow extra powder to be burned .
So my understanding is that you will be able to fire all 338 Edge rounds in it.
This is the developers thread that explains it :--
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/338-edge-p-now-available-defensive-edge-76968/

If it were me buying one I think I would like a throat depth matched to a certain LR bullet and stick with that but I guess they are going for max velocity to stay super sonic as far out as possible . Seems to be working .

As far as I can work out , the +P is not a chamber modification other than a longer throat to allow extra powder to be burned .
So my understanding is that you will be able to fire all 338 Edge rounds in it.
This is the developers thread that explains it :--
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/338-edge-p-now-available-defensive-edge-76968/

If it were me buying one I think I would like a throat depth matched to a certain LR bullet and stick with that but I guess they are going for max velocity to stay super sonic as far out as possible . Seems to be working .

Did you miss post # 19 in that thread?

Jeff

No , I saw that but I don't believe it. There is little you can do to the throat other than a free bore before it to help burn more powder. Either it's a longer freebore or it's sales talk. A slight change in throat angle does not make that much difference to powder burning ability .
Either way you can fire normal 338 Edge ammo in it .
As I said before If I could afford one I would want it throated to a specific High BC bullet and use whatever velocity it could produce .

Edit by Len Backus

Please watch your language and your attitude.

Last edited by a moderator:
Travis,

You could shoot standard 338 Edge ammo in a +P chamber. It will suffer in performance though. If you take a 338 Edge +P chamber and put your standard 338 Edge load that normally runs 2800 fps it will only run 2700 fps or so out of the +P chamber, but you could do it.

Bullet Bumper

I love when people like yourself make statements based on no evidence what so ever. Our +P throating design is patented, they do not give out patents based on nothing as you have stated the +P design is. If it were simply longer freebore I would have said so. Extending freebore and bullet jump will increase velocity but has its down falls as well. I would think that in the future before you slam someone about their products you might do some research and possibly find out what the product is and how it works before you jump to conclusions and start giving opinion base on a guess. It is actions like yours that make me sorry I have internet sometimes.

huh interesting

things like this always reminds me of what one of my college math professors said when I took applies stats.

"don't think about it to much, don't ask me to explain it cause your head will explode, just trust me this is the way it works, it'll all make sense later" that was the 2nd day of the semester, that's the only math that's ever made a **** bit of sense. lol

guess some folks could stand to trust the experts a bit:)

I can't wait to see these new rigs get into the hands of some guys on here to ring them out. Looks like it's going to be a great platform. i'm planning on ordering one, but i really want to see what the performance of a 338 lapua improved in +P looks like first:)

bullet bumper, kind if funny how worked up you are..??
read through the patent info if you want to know more about it. i think you're right to assume there would be work done in the throat, but that was rather predictable. doesn't mean it has to be freebore though.

here's the patent if you want to know more. Firearm Throat and Rifling Method - Patent application

i love new innovation, that's what keeps the gun safe overflowing. thanks for trying something different shawn.

I can't wait to see these new rigs get into the hands of some guys on here to ring them out. Looks like it's going to be a great platform. i'm planning on ordering one, but i really want to see what the performance of a 338 lapua improved in +P looks like first:)

bullet bumper, kind if funny how worked up you are..??
read through the patent info if you want to know more about it. i think you're right to assume there would be work done in the throat, but that was rather predictable. doesn't mean it has to be freebore though.

here's the patent if you want to know more. Firearm Throat and Rifling Method - Patent application

i love new innovation, that's what keeps the gun safe overflowing. thanks for trying something different shawn.
Very interesting ready, now it makes complete sense very ingenious Shawn.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts