Finally here.

Looking good! Yeah, two of my three Kimber's needed a little grinding on the mag boxes. A few also needed a little stock work to float them better. You will get that gun singing in no time! I wouldn't sell mine for 4K.

Worked on the mag box. Increased powder charge. Got froggy and changed OAL which I should not have done. Morons are thick headed. 🙄
20220325_154904.jpg

On the right target the first shot was the "flyer". I don't remember on the left target but likely the same. There is sproinging going on sooooo....I took the scope of and checked all screws and reassembled. Checked mag box clearance no issues there. The barrel at the forend tip was a bit too close so I relieved the channel.

I checked the sides of the the bedding and there was some space that did not receive Marine Tex. It's at the bottom corner on either side. Two grouping (not exactly but close in this case) is a sign of something faulty with the bedding. I'll add some to the bottom corner on either side tomorrow.

Too tired to do it tonight.

Last edited:
On the right target the first shot was the "flyer". I don't remember on the left target but likely the same. There is sproinging going on sooooo....I took the scope of and checked all screws and reassembled. Checked mag box clearance no issues there. The barrel at the forend tip was a too close so I relieved it.

I checked the sides of the the bedding and there was some space that did not receive Marine Tex. It's at the bottom corner on either side. Two grouping (not exactly but close in this case) is a sign of something faulty with the bedding. I'll add some to the bottom corner on either side tomorrow.

Too tired to do it tonight.
Too little amount of information to determine what's happening. Velocity, neck tension, seating, ect. I think that your rifle is a good shooter. Once everything mechanically is set then it's the cartridge. Would like it if you lived close to us. We prep each case the same, ladder load in our shop and shoot out the back door...
Your 280Ai Montana is a GREAT rifle for deer Elk at long range and very easy to carry.
Jill's Montana 270WSM was shooting 1/2" MOA with a few loads of H-4350 and 130ABs. Never did a ladder test. Left it that way. I guess that I should do a ladder test to get it better. It's a hunting rifle and nothing at LR here in the SE. Would be real comfortable up to 500yds no problem. If going out west the 270WSM with 130s or 140s not any issues taking deer or elk out to 800.

Wish I could shoot out the back door at my place! Yeah, a bit short on info so I'll keep posting (to everyone's chagrin) results.

Thanks for the help. Really appreciate it. BTW, I'm too crippled to ever think about going elk hunting. I'll live vicariously through everyone's stories. 👍🇺🇲

Wish I could shoot out the back door at my place! Yeah, a bit short on info so I'll keep posting (to everyone's chagrin) results.

Thanks for the help. Really appreciate it. BTW, I'm too crippled to ever think about going elk hunting. I'll live vicariously through everyone's stories. 👍🇺🇲
Carlos if you live vicariously thorough other stories them I am living through your stories. Don't sell yourself short.

I won't. Just the reality based on my faulty spine and a healthy dose of psoriatic arthritis mixed in for good measure. 😖
Maybe you can help me. I went to Walmart today and was in such pain. i left the cart in the isle, left the store and by the grace of God drove home. then took double meds just to level out when I got home.
would like to know what treatment you have.

Scratched out the bedding around the lug which was a bit loose. Bedded recoil lug area again last night.

Couldn't stand it any longer and headed to the range. Beautiful day. Sixty-five degrees and little wind. I was the only one at the 100 yd range.

Problem solved. Have to go out of town tomorrow so no chronographing until I get back. @Coyote Shadow Tracker

20220331_151251.jpg

Scratched out the bedding around the lug which was a bit loose. Bedded recoil lug area again last night.

Couldn't stand it any longer and headed to the range. Beautiful day. Sixty-five degrees and little wind. I was the only one at the 100 yd range.

Problem solved. Have to go out of town tomorrow so no chronographing until I get back. @Coyote Shadow Tracker

View attachment 354621
Great for a hunting rifle and 280AI
You cut it in half since your last groups. 0.485 MOA
Good job! Like to see FPS next time.

Good for you! I have had this same rifle for a few years, I picked up the early version that has the black/charcoal stock. It shoots well, but I found that I had to slow it down a little to get it to shoot good. Best I could get was about .6 out of it at about 2800fps and a 150gn bullet. But for what it is that was good enough.