Field Test: Five Big-Game *Bullets

I wish someone would do a test from 400 to 800 in 100 yard intervals so those of us who's distance limitation falls somewhere between 400 & 800 yards can make the best choice possible.

AND use ONLY the top shelf premium performance bullets from Nosler, Hornady, Barnes and Swift.

I wish someone would do a test from 400 to 800 in 100 yard intervals so those of us who's distance limitation falls somewhere between 400 & 800 yards can make the best choice possible.

AND use ONLY the top shelf premium performance bullets from Nosler, Hornady, Barnes and Swift.
That would eliminate some of the best bullets on the market which come from small companies from even being considered.

All it would amount to is a "test" which is designed to promote the big manufacturers and keep the competition from gaining market share.

I watched a hunting show where they were shooting long range in New Zealand. They actually talked about the Bergers at long range tumbling and not expanding. They said thats why so many shots on game at long range drop in their tracks because the bullet tumbling thru the animal created more damage than the standard mushroom, when the bullets have so little energy left at long range?

I watched a hunting show where they were shooting long range in New Zealand. They actually talked about the Bergers at long range tumbling and not expanding. They said thats why so many shots on game at long range drop in their tracks because the bullet tumbling thru the animal created more damage than the standard mushroom, when the bullets have so little energy left at long range?
I don't buy it. A tumbling bullet is as likely to underpenetrate and come back out as it is to bounce around inside.

You simply cannot predict how a bent up, tumbling bullet is going to track through a body.

I've had some bullets in the past penetrate 2-6", turn 90 degrees or more and exit sometimes doing very little damage requiring a follow up shot and in one case I was very lucky not to lose the animal completely as it was close to dark.

A tumbling bullet isn't a good thing any way you look at it. I don't like bullets that don't expand predictably. This is why I wont use Bergers. I don't care how accurate a bullet is if it has a history of not expanding, penciling and tumbling.

The ELD-X seems a bit too explosive at closer distances but I hope to see first hand this year. Some of the ELD-X kill pictures I've seen looks like the animal was hit with a mortar round not a rifle fired bullet.

All I know is the ELD-X is the most accurate bullet I've ever shot to date.

I still think the Accubond( Not the LRAB) is the best hunting bullet made.

I don't buy it. A tumbling bullet is as likely to underpenetrate and come back out as it is to bounce around inside.

You simply cannot predict how a bent up, tumbling bullet is going to track through a body.

I've had some bullets in the past penetrate 2-6", turn 90 degrees or more and exit sometimes doing very little damage requiring a follow up shot and in one case I was very lucky not to lose the animal completely as it was close to dark.

I'm not big on the tumbling bullet theory either. I think it is a cop out on underperformance. It might be devastating one time and a total failure the next as far as tissue damage. Also, I had a VERY bad experience with a 150 LRAB out of my 270SS on a whitetail at about 175 yards. It blew half of the shoulder OFF and barely got into the vitals. When they say long range, they mean LONG RANGE! I think they would work great at distance but I won't use them again for any other application. Something the size of an elk would have been long gone!..........Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.