338 sherman field test

That 338 seems to like anything that you feed it! Definitely encouraged by the results so far!

This could be the closest thing to that all around rifle I have EVER built! The 250 Berger gives you 1000 yard plus capability and 4400+ foot pounds for things close up that bite, and all in a carry rifle with a 24"barrel. With bullets from 185 grain mono's to 300 grain thumpers, what's not to like? It feeds like butter through a std. 700 action too:D..........Rich

I wish i had a .338 barrel at bugholes instead of the 30 cal! Guess i'll have to settle for 300 sherman and 225 eld-m. Think i'm going to build the .338 sherman after the 300 & 6.5 sherman are done!!

I wish i had a .338 barrel at bugholes instead of the 30 cal! Guess i'll have to settle for 300 sherman and 225 eld-m. Think i'm going to build the .338 sherman after the 300 & 6.5 sherman are done!!

I had the parts together to build a .300 Win Mag when Rich let me know that he was about to go ahead with the .338 Sherman. I traded my .30 cal barrel for a .338 barrel in order to be ready to proceed.

If you have a good quality .30 cal barrel, my bet is that you will have little trouble finding someone to trade with. I believe the .338 Sherman will show itself to be worth the effort.

Just something to think about...

I could just trade it for a 338 barrel im sure as the rifle is being built at spr (bugholes.com) and i bought the barrel from him(bartlein heavy varmint) but i already bought hydroform dies(which will work for all the shermans), loading dies, and go gauge for the 300 sherman. Already bought projectiles too. If i lived in elk or bear country then i would go for the swap but being that its for whitetail deer and long range shooting i'll stay with the 300 sherman. When i go 338 i want it to be able to handle the heavies alittle better being that i'll have the 300 sherman. Plus 30 cal projectiles are cheaper too.

I could just trade it for a 338 barrel im sure as the rifle is being built at spr (bugholes.com) and i bought the barrel from him(bartlein heavy varmint) but i already bought hydroform dies(which will work for all the shermans), loading dies, and go gauge for the 300 sherman. Already bought projectiles too. If i lived in elk or bear country then i would go for the swap but being that its for whitetail deer and long range shooting i'll stay with the 300 sherman. When i go 338 i want it to be able to handle the heavies alittle better being that i'll have the 300 sherman. Plus 30 cal projectiles are cheaper too.

You won't go wrong with the 300. Very versatile cartridge. One of each is what our wives say !!........Rich

I shot some 285 ELDM's today to see what the heavies would do. I don't plan on going that heavy myself but some others have asked me what I thought about them. I could see using them at close to mid range and causing some major smack down! They did pretty well for no load development at all and put 4 shots into 3/4" at 100 yards with 60 grains of RL17 at 3.502" coal and 2610'. It looks like they would make the 2650' estimate. The 250 Bergers continue to shoot .2-.3" moa just about every time out..........Rich
338 sherm eldm and 250 B.jpg

I got back out yesterday to try the 200 AB's again with N550 and it seems like it is going to do pretty well. I also wanted to state that for those who think some of these numbers are not legitimate, I have at least 12 firings on this brass and some of the loads were hot when I was determining max charges..........Rich
338 shrm 200 AB.jpg

These Sherman cartridges sound very intriguing. However, I am having a hard time finding any info on them outside of this thread. Where would one look to find specs, load data, etc on these Sherman cartridges?

These Sherman cartridges sound very intriguing. However, I am having a hard time finding any info on them outside of this thread. Where would one look to find specs, load data, etc on these Sherman cartridges?

@elkaholic
Rich Sherman, the designer, has all this Info.

He should be along directly.

Last edited:
Do you have any info on the .338 Sherman Shortmag? I'm wanting to build something on a LA Ruger M77, and can only load to 3.430", so the .338 Sherman isn't an option. Are you getting over 2800 with the 250 in the Sherman Shortmag? I would be running a 26" barrel

My .338 Sherman build is on a Ruger M77 MkII action and will have a 26" barrel. I should have it back from the smith pretty soon. I considered the mag length issue with the more streamlined bullets I want to use. I guess I don't see a problem with single loading for a long range shot.

Regular cup and core 200's and 225's, along with CE 200's will mag feed without a problem. A Cutting Edge 200 MTH @ 3100 is not a bad alternative, if you feel the need to feed from the mag.

I don't think Rich has begun work on the short mag version of this cartridge, yet.

My .338 Sherman build is on a Ruger M77 MkII action and will have a 26" barrel. I should have it back from the smith pretty soon. I considered the mag length issue with the more streamlined bullets I want to use. I guess I don't see a problem with single loading for a long range shot.

Regular cup and core 200's and 225's, along with CE 200's will mag feed without a problem. A Cutting Edge 200 MTH @ 3100 is not a bad alternative, if you feel the need to feed from the mag.

I don't think Rich has begun work on the short mag version of this cartridge, yet.

The only problem with single feeding the Ruger is most of the time if it's too long for the mag then it won't eject, and you need to remove the bolt to get a loaded cartridge out, and I just don't want to deal with that...and I want to use the more streamlined bullets, mainly the 250 Berger, that would be about the only bullet I would want to use. We have a 35 Whelen AI, so that fills the gap for a closer range hard hitting cartridge, I want a long range heavy hitter, I'm thinking the 338 ss, 300 ss, or a 300 WSM.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.