7mm Bullets for Big Game

dakor

I am looking for some High BC Hunting Bullets in the 130gr to 140gr weight that can take high velocity impacts if shots end up being close and that can be shot out of a 10 twist rifle. Any Idea's?

If you try the Barnes line, start with the TSX bullet. Barnes changed the nose design and bullets fly faster due to pressure grooves in shank and are more accurate than most Barnes. You must run at near max and then play with seating depth starting at .050 off lands and then going in & out to find the sweet spot. Every rifle shoots best at a specific depth. Watch pressure if you start seating at .030 if load developed at .050. Excellent results at all ranges out to 600+ yds so far.

I guess I should have giving a few more details.
grin.gif
I have tried the the Accubond and Barnes TSX what I looking for is a bullet with a bc in the .500 to .600 range if someone even makes them? I was told to check out Groove bullets but their website is down. Does anyone else know of a custom bullet outfit that makes anything close to what I am looking for? I would be willing to even go up to a 160gr if it had a high enough bc but I really would like the lighter bullet so I can drive them over 3400 fps in my STW. Thank you guys for the replies.

Dakor,

Seems like you've already found the bullet that you're looking for. The 160gr Accubond has a BC of .531. It has already proven itself to be an accurate bullet that will hold together when high impact velocities are encountered.

The Barnes 160gr TSX bullet has a BC of .508. As long as you can get them to shoot in your rifle, I'm certain that they will withstand any conceivable impact velocity.

The 150gr Swift Scirooco would also be a good choice and probably has a BC between .470 and .490.

Frankly, the 160gr Accubond fills your criteria nicely and is the least expensive and easiest to locate bullet of the lot.

If your bent on shooting the 130gr-140gr bullets then I'd go 140 Accubond or 130gr - 140gr TSX.

Just my 2 cents - VH

[ 12-05-2004: Message edited by: Varmint Hunter ]

dakor
If you gun will shoot the heavy 7mm bullets you will be way better off at long range I would look at the 175g SMK bc .608 or the 180g Berger bc of .698 you should be able to get 3000 Fps with either of these bullets. You would have just 24 MOA of drop with the 180g shot at 3000 fps at 1000 yards.
Crow Mag

Dakor, the 156 cauterucio bullets are hand made by Bob Cauterucio. They are great bullets. The BC is 615.

His 176 have a bc of .750 but Bob says a 7 or 8 twist is needed to stabilize them. Some folks here think a 9 twist would work but with a 10 twist I'd try the 156's. If you didn't build the rifle yet then go with the 9 twist. If your shooting inside of 1000 yards the 156's will be fine. I tried 140's in my 7STW, they where too fast. Slow'em down and increase accuracy.

Like I told Bigbore, don't be a velocity freak. Brett Farve doesn't throw a 60 yard bullets pass does he?

Bigbore, glad you are going with those heavier BC bullets.

Does cauterucio bullets have a web page? I did a search for them on Google and did not come up with a home page for them. My rifle does like the 160 Accubond and I get 3252 fps with them and groups under 1/2 inch at 100 yards. I have not had time to shoot them at long range but I think they would do well. I guess I could go with the heavier bullet its hard though when you are hooked on screaming velocity's.
grin.gif
Has anyone tried the 175 Nolser Partition at long range? My rifle loves them and they have a bc of.519 and a sd of.310. As for the berger 180 I dont think they will work in my rifle because I have a 10 twist. I am going to buy some Sierra 175 Match Kings and try them to see how they do.

Dakor,
You might also look at the Lost River Ballistic Technologies web site. They make a J36 hunting bullet that is LONG and all copper with a driving nose tip. BC for the 140 is .644, 160 is .715. I've not shot their bullets, but have seen several good reports.
wink.gif

Dakor, search this site for Bob Cauterucio's phone number. He does not have a web site. He is an older guy. Not the computer type.

Stay away from lost river bullets....they suck!

If you have a 7STW with a 1:10 twist, you are really limited to monometal bullets of around 120gr if you want decent terminal performance on closer shots. Jacketed bullets up to 140/150gr will probably be OK as well but meat damage will be high. There are 120gr turned copper bullets available that will run 3800+ fps from your STW for shooting inside 500 and 130gr bullets for shooting further out. No one bullet will be good at all distances as the requirements are not compatible.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.