Best .338 cal bullet for big game ???

I'm using Berger 250g EH in a 338 Sherman Max this year for the first time. I use bergers in other rifles but first time with the 338 250g.

Berger 250gr Elite Hunter is one of the most accurate and best performing hunting bullets I have ever used in 30 years of hunting big game in Montana. I have been taking animals with many various Berger bullets in 6.5, 30, and 338 since 2006. After many years of evaluating countless kills with many of the great well known and proven Berger hunting bullets, their 250gr in 338 cal no doubt gives exceptional performance on all size animals at any shot angle when compared to the rest.

I am also seeing the same excellent results from the new 30 cal 220gr Long Range Hybrid bullet in my 300 NMI. Have taken 4 animals with it now (4 mule deer bucks and 1 antelope buck) and the performance mimics the 250gr in 338. Excellent penetration, massively destructive internal damage, and very little meat damage on the outside.
I have had perfect performance on bull elk with the 338 250gr but have not taken a bull elk with the 30 cal 220gr yet. Hope to do so sometime soon to see if the 220gr maintains the same excellent performance I have seen so far on deer and antelope.

Last edited:
this sounds interesting.... I have to check out the b.c's. If its in the G1 .6 area it should be a smoke show.

I have run the 250 bergers... they were awesome and I actually preferred them in my .338 RUM, but they were impossible to find so I went back to the 300's.

I have used 270 ELDX the most…and yes they work. I have also used the 225 grain cutting edge laser heads and they are awesome. I have not tried the super bulldozer —but have some—and have been threatening to get some hammer 235 grain bullets for my NM.

The badlands bulldoziers have a great BC,theres a long thread on them here somewhere.Im running some of the 250

Another vote for Barnes 225gr TTSX. Ive killed alot of animals,especially elk with that load. I am going to try Hammers next year though.

I am vowing to myself to buy & try some Hammer bullets in SOMETHING next season
I can tell you from my experience that you will never purchase another Barnes bullet unless that's all you can find because you lost your ammo on a trip and they have loaded factory stuff. Hammers are far superior to Barnes and cutting edge when it come to game.
I'm running the 250ish gr hammer in my lapua improved. Not sure the exact weight off the top of my head.

Seems to me 338's were made to shoot 300 gr bullets, (at least my edge and terminator were ) :)
:)
The farthest I can shoot at my range is 1250 yards I feel the 300 grain bullets really shine 1500 and beyond I myself have tried both but stick with 250 grain burger elite hunters they seem faster and flatter at the distances I'm able to shoot

Seems to me 338's were made to shoot 300 gr bullets, (at least my edge and terminator were ) :)
:)
I'd say the large capacity 338s were made to make the 300+ grain bullet shine. My 338 win mag wasn't that cartridge. I shot some along with even the 285s and wasn't impressed verses shooting the 230/250 class. The 230 ELDs we're the best bullet for me. Getting into the RUM/LM/NM/Nosler really opens up the best performance for the 300s.

There at a lot of good hunting bullets with high BCs on the market these days, but I don't think any of them can shoot as accurately as Berger. Since shot placement is key, accuracy will always remain king.

There's a reason Berger holds so many world records in long range competition shooting. You won't find competitors using Barnes, Nosler or any other run of the mill hunting bullet. Some may use Hornady in competition but they aren't winning much or setting any records. When it comes to accuracy and consistency, you just can't beat Berger. So when you know the level of accuracy Berger can deliver as well as being a very effective hunting bullet, the answer becomes pretty clear.