338 Hornady Match Bullets On Big Game

dakor

I know most guys use the 300SMK. I want to know if anyone has used the 338 Hornady match bullets on big game and what the results where. I was looking at the 250gr HPBT and the new 285gr HPBT for a 338 Rum that I am trying to put together.

Last edited:
My 338's all shoot most 250's very well. However I can not get the new hornady 250 match bullet with the super high BC to shoot straight. I tried it when it came out a couple years ago and no luck with it. The 285 set a world record group and shoots very well from what I hear.

Sorry if that was wrong. I just meant the 285 seems to be shooting very well from reports in. It is using the new jacket from what I hear that is better than the 250 grain. What I do know is I tried the 250 grain in several of my 338's that shoot very well and did good to get a 8" group at 400 yards. I gave up on it.

I have use the 250 grain Hornady BTHP match bullet extensivly on game and can give you a full report on its capability.

First there is two bullets. The old type that may still be found in some gun shops. Second is the new type with the new jacket material.

The old type was excellent on game and expanded and killed very well at long range. If you can find some in the old style bland red box then buy all you can.

The new type now has a thicker jacket which Hornady brags about. It comes in a glossy red box. It is totaly useless as a hunting bullet and will not expand. Do not use it for hunting at long range.

I am not sure about the 285 grain match bullet, but if it has the same thick jacket as the new type 250 grain bullet then it will not be any good as a game getter. Have to get some and test them. Only way to find out.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info. Topshot thank you for the heads up on the new jacket on the hornadys I will look for something else maybe the 250 Matchking or 250 Accubond.

Dakor,
Have a look at the 225 grain Hornady Interbond projectile. I have been doing some testing out of my .338WM, .338 RUM and .338 Edge rifles. If you can get them to shoot in your rifle then they would be excellent.
I have found that accuracy will depend on your throat length and depth to lands.
They shoot very well in my .338WM and .338RUM but the .338 Edge has to much of a jump to the lands with its extended throat and as such does not shoot as good as I would like.
Check out the photo below to see how they expand at low velocity.

The two on the left hit at 1614 fps ave.
The nwo center ones hit at 1373 fps ave.
The two on the right hit at 1228 fps ave.

So at 1600 fps they perform very well. This should get you good performance to 1000 yards with ease.

Note that the listed B.C. of this bullet on the Hornady web site etc is wrong. It is much higher than publicised. Should be up at about 0.530 G1 or .270 G7. This is one sleek and well made hunting bullet. A much better design than a Nosler Accubond IMO.

mypic56.jpg

Last edited:
They shot fine for me. The wieght variation sucked on mine. I got plus or minus 6 grains out of 100. They opened up for my dad very rapidly on a bull elk he shot this year. I was surprised how much damage they did.

Topshot thanks for posting the data and the pic's of the bullets. That is impressive performance from the Interbonds I will have to pick some up and give them a try.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.