Federal Changing Primer Sizes?

Nimrodmar10

This isn't long range, but it's reloading related.

I'm sitting at the reloading bench this morning loading some 45 ACP rounds. I start priming the cases and at about the third one I can't get the primer to start into the primer pocket. I pull it out of the shell holder to check for problems, and I realize it has a small primer pocket. The brass is some I picked up from the range last weekend. I start checking the cases and out of the 200 or so, over half are Federal cases with the small primer pockets. Due to the fact that I already have a bunch of 45s loaded, I haven't reloaded 45s in several years. How long has Federal been making 45 ACP brass with small primers? Are they doing the same with any other calibers? What effect, if any, will it have on reloading data?

I'm sitting at the reloading bench this morning loading some 45 ACP rounds. I start priming the cases and at about the third one I can't get the primer to start into the primer pocket. I pull it out of the shell holder to check for problems, and I realize it has a small primer pocket. The brass is some I picked up from the range last weekend. I start checking the cases and out of the 200 or so, over half are Federal cases with the small primer pockets. Due to the fact that I already have a bunch of 45s loaded, I haven't reloaded 45s in several years. How long has Federal been making 45 ACP brass with small primers? Are they doing the same with any other calibers? What effect, if any, will it have on reloading data?

was the brass mil spec? If so it has a crimp in the primer pocket
gary

Early 2011 was the first time I saw them. Seems to be found on the more inexpensive rounds like Blazer. I can only assume that manufacturers are saving a couple bucks with the smaller primers.

Others have reported that there is no change in loading data and have only measured a small percentage drop in speed. I have passed on reloading the few small primer shells I have found, but when I do I will reduce my load and work back up.

Just adds another case type to sort out when going through brass.

I don't see how.....At my local store, primers are primers. Fed, Fed Gold Match, CCI, Winchester, Rem, they all cost $4.98 a box /100.

If they all cost the same, then I don't see any contributing factor, honestly?

I have also noticed that the cheaper ammo seems to have the small primer pockets as well. I pick up range brass alot, as well.

Winchester, for one Im sure of, has some of their 45 ACP TARGET ammo loaded ( somewhere?) using SMALL pistol primers.

I never realized what was going on until about the 4th time I had to tear my Dillon reloader apart to get it all back right again.

Its not the primers...its the cases

Seems a common problem. A guy I work with actually had to start reloading the small primer cases because he had far more of them than standard cases. He is a new reloader and has only been collecting brass the past couple months. He said all the factory ammo he has been buying is small primered. I didn't ask what brands.........

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.