primer changes

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by sully, Apr 20, 2009.

1. sully

sully Member

this may sound like a basic question but ive only used 215m primers with retumbo for my 30-378 wthby and i can no longer get those. is it ok to substitute 250 cci for this load?

2. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I changed a few loads from fed 215 gm's to cci 250 M's for the same reason. Just could not get them. It all worked out good for me with no noticable difference. I would think the biggerst concern would be,... it could affect the ES of the load. So you may want to chrony a string of the new load to make sure it is with in your tolerance.

So I guess the simple answer would be, both 215 gm's and cci 250's should work fine in your 30-378 with retumbo. If you are close to max with Retumbo I would back off a couple grains for the first test.

Hope this answers the question.

Jeff

3. sully

sully Member

that is what i thought , but had to make sure. Ill back down from the top end on the first 5 string and check things out on my chrono. im still a novice reloader. no primers is no good!! thanks for the info......

4. brentc

brentc Well-Known Member

You'll be safe to work up again, but I've always had the best results with E.S. and S.D. when using CCI primers.