explosive bullet for deer

SNIP

im sure there are times when a little more penetration would be helpful, but im not bear hunting.... a deer is only about 12" wide, so any more than 12" of penetration seems a waste...

I suppose if you give up the quartering away shot that your bullet selection is pretty safe, but if you take that shot and misjudge the wind or an animals speed and hit the onside rear leg going in you will probably wish that you had a bit more penetration.

One point that most folks don't consider is that bullets cause damage by going fast! While the bullet that exits the animal can't do any more damage after it leaves, while it is inside it creates MUCH more damage if it also exits fast! Explosive bullets are slightly different, but their fragments are not.

Take a "perfect mushroom" that many love.
If it stops inside the animal, then the last few inches acted more like a field pointed arrow, and did very little damage for the last "x" inches!
Now if you shoot a radar guided bullet, then use only enough energy to reach and penetrate the heart and then stop :)

edge.

your right. i dont take running shots, and i dont shoot thru brush. i have more than enuf time to hunt, so i dont take bad shots. i dont think this bullet at this speed would be ideal for everyone, but for me, i think its pretty good. i think the 150bt would probably be a little more reliable loaded at 3100 or so in my gun. i assume the jackets are pretty much the same design, so it should still blow up, but maybe not quite as catastrophically as the 125 at 3300... i will get both today since that was my last 125 (little brother used em all up on woodchucks in his 300savage) and try one of the 150's for my last tag. i think they should do the same, or possibly more damage as a 125, but with a little more punch to get an exit most of the time.

i think the 150 or 165 would be better if i had it AI'd. maybe ill have to have it done this winter. anyone with a 30-06ai reamer near north west pa?

Hi.

Im shooting 150nosler partion in 270win this year and it done wonder.
The shoot was taken in my bow spot(50 feets....) and it expend right a way.
The entry wound was golf ball size, took don one lung , the heart was complely gone and a exite wound of the size of golf ball too!!!
Im amaze that it run about 90 feets beafor colapsing...
My hunting budy use 180gr interlock round nose in a 300 savage.
The entrance wound was big as mine but e just zip the heart and big exit wound. The shoot was about 50yds. The butcher ask im with what king of super mag rifle he shoot du to the damage to the meat...
So y would try one of these too in 30-06 if y ad one.

777 Yards 30 cal. 180 TSX one shot Dropped in it's tracks, bullet through the vitails is deadly, seems simple to me

fa7vxj.jpg

338 Federal 210 TSX through the heart of a Zebra aat 100 yards so not high velocity

HuntingPicturesAndBuddy047.jpg

Like in Rel Estate it's location, location, location

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.