ER Shaw Barrels

About 20 years ago I built a custom 350 rem mag with a Shaw bull barrel cut down to 21". approximately 30 deer have fallen to that rifle. My best 3 shot group with that barrel was about 3/8" center to center and 5 shots went under 5/8". I believe that barrel shoots better than I can. Of course its a 20 year old barrel and I only have about 500 rounds thru it.
'

Last edited:
Great for you!!! Check any of the benchrest contest results and out of 100 rifles let me know the number of shaw barrels involved?

i have two rifles with er shaw bbls one 25-06 which was back in the 90's and 257 wby both shoot great long range and up close 25-06 loves sierra 117's and 257 wby i shoot 100 barnes and it shoots great also I have about 300 rounds through the 25-06 still shoots sub at 100 moa and beyond. never fails me in field or range and 257 wby has about 150 rounds still holding in there also. also I know a gentleman that had one also in 257 wby that he was driving the 75 hornady beyond 4000 fps and he loved his also. he has had lilja bbls before this one on that same action plus the regular bbl from wby and he really loved the er shaw bbl he was really happy until it was stolen. lilja bbl shot out about same as wby bbl from factory not that many rounds he figured about 300 max and the er shaw was if remember right around 200 -225 rounds and was still shooting great.

If read on there web site and talk to them they don't clam to be match bbls but they really shoot,also familly member has one in .204 ruger and it shoots great groups also.

I would not hesitate to put another bbl from er shaw on in future rifle builds!!!

They may have made some crooked barrels in the 80's but they have that all straightened out now. I have a 243 that's been rebarreled by them and with a three shot group you can hardly find the centers to measure group size. My dad has one of their rifles in 458 lott and he can shoot it with all three holes touching at 100 regularly.

I have a 240 wby vanguard rebarreled with shaw barrel. I have a 300 wby vanguard rebarreled with shaw, I have a E R Shaw 6.5*06 AI. I have a 300 wby being rebarreled to a 257 wby as I type. sub moa on all barrels if I do my part E M Bork

Put together a budget rifle for a friend 10 years ago for a moose hunt in Canada. Barrel installed and chamered by Shaw in 35 whelen. Quick turn around, rifle worked, moose died. To be fair this rifle was built for shooting inside 200 yards in close wooded country and it did that very well.

I've never had any problems from any Shaw barrel,and they have all shot pretty well.I build all of my rifles off Savage actions,and have Shilen,McGowen,and E.R.Shaw barrels on all of my builds because they offer Pre-Fit barrels that I can install and headspace in a few minutes in my shop.

If Krieger,and other high end barrel makers sold Pre-Fit Savage barrels,they'd sell the crap out of them,but most Savage guy's refuse to pay a gunsmith to install a barrel on their actions.

A Savage action and Shaw barrel is a perfect match. One piece of junk attached to another. LOL.

Regards, Paul

Ha,Ha. I guess you have to "Buy the Best" to make yourself feel good,and think it makes you a better shooter.

There are other actions that are said to be better than Savage,but with the groups that I get with the "junk" as you describe,I guess I'd be setting world record's all the time if I had them.
I own other brands also-Winchester/Remington/Browning,and they don't shoot any better than my "junk" Savages. But,I'm also not a brand snob!

If i'm going to spend the money on a aftermarket barrel it's going to be a top end barrel. The extra $50-$100 is worth the peace of mind.

That should tell you somthing about er shaw and savage rifle customers. There cheep. If you dont want to pay for a good blank and have a quality smith do a match grade chamber that is propery polished with hand laped threads . than you will never shoot better than your crappy barrel from er shaw. Thats why team savage used krieger barrels and has a qualified smith do the work. ( not savage) uses pacific tool and gage floating heads and aftermarkt nuts and lugs.

Yep, savage actions suck. That's why in the first years of the target action, savage used savage barrels and stock actions to win f/tr class nationals. Those rifles sure do suck. Guess my multiple .116"-.125" 3 shot groups prone at 100yds with a factory barrel in my mod 12 VLP are horrible too. Darn savages suck. Wish all those ground hogs shot in the head at 605, 632, and 683 would have known they were hit by stock savage parts. Maybe they would have survived to laugh at me. Oh and that 9.5" group at 1100 yards with 8 consecutive shots would be horrible to shoot with. Sheesh! Savage stock parts suck!!!:rolleyes: Guess I'll have to start buying more savages so you guys don't have to suffer!:D:D Oh, 1.5" 3 shot group at 718yds. No chance to compete with you Remington, Weatherby, Winchester, custom build guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.