Care package from Fort Shaw - 1st. 7mm Allen Magnum

ss7mm

I received the latest care package from Fort Shaw late yesterday and it's a beaut. I've been waiting for many moons to see this one finally done.

Fresh out of the APS shop is the first 7mm Allen Magnum, after Kirby's test rifle of course.

Nesika action
Nesika 20 moa scope base
Lilja 3 groove, #8 contour, fluted, 30" bbl w/Holland QD brake
Chambered for 7mm Allen Magnum throated for 200 gr. Wildcat ULD RBBT's
HS bottom metal w/DBM
Rifle Basix trigger set at 1 3/4 lbs.
Nightforce 5.5-22x56 NXS NP-R2 w/illum. Reticle
Nightforce rings
Scopelevel
ACI
McMillan A5 w/adj. cheekpiece and Decelerator 50% dark gray, 25% black, 25% white
Harris bipod w/Pod-Loc

335714.JPG

335715.JPG

335716.JPG

335717.JPG

335718.JPG

Took some time out this morning from deer hunting and did a full break in plus sighting in w/fire forming loads. Temp was about 38-40 degrees and the wind was blowing about 15-20 mph.

Pictures don't do it justice as it's truly a fantastic rifle. It is proportioned perfectly, handles and shoots like a dream and just seems to be on auto pilot all of the time.

This is a typical fire form load at 100 yards in 15-20 mph winds using bipod off back of pickup.
335720.jpg

This is some 200 yard fire form groups with bipod off back of pickup in 15-20 mph winds.
335719.jpg

On the left is the new 7mm Allen Magnum and on the right is my buddies rebarreled Savage in 270 Allen Magnum.
335721.JPG

Front view of the Allen Magnum brothers.
335722.JPG

I'll report more later when I get to the full tilt loads but for now, since it's deer season, to be followed by elk season, I'll be hunting with the fire forming loads. After hunting season I'll be back at the bench to see what the 200's will do under a full head of steam.

It was a long drawn out ordeal to go from the initial planning stages to the final product but Kirby was super to work with and did a fantastic job. No detail was left to chance and all work is superb. I also bugged Richard of Wildcat Bullets a lot during the process and thanks to him the new 7 gets to digest the big 200 ULD's. If you're looking for something similar, just get your checkbook out, then contact Kirby, and Richard, and then wait. It shoots like a dream with the fire form loads and it'll only get better with the full tilt loads.

If you want to really have some fun, put a 270 AM and a 7mm AM on bipods across the back of a pickup and then pick out little targets at ridiculous ranges and either make them disappear or just simply put holes in the center of them. It just doesn't get any better than this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Great write up. I just finished shooting in my 338 RUM Kirby put a Lilja 30" tube, Holland QD, trigger job, Sako extractor and a custom stock. I put my NF 5.5-22x56 NP-R2 (all NP-R2's are illuminated) and shipped it to Utah for my nephew to use elk hunting. All he could say was wow. All the guys at his range could say was Wow (ditto for my range).

I have the same thing in a 375 RUM from Kirby and 300 RUM. I'm taking the 300 RUM in a couple weeks deer hunting. I planned on sending my brother the 375 RUM (he and his son drew out on a private ranch). My brother said the big RUM would ruin too much meat so he's using his $100 30-06 with $75 glass. His best group at 100 yards with the old-6 was 5". I was getting 1/2" groups with the big RUM while fire-forming new brass.

I'm already saving for the gun you got. I'm breaking tradition away from my RUMs and going with the Allen 7mm uber Mag. I want something that will compete with my 50 BMGs for shooting antelope/yotes at 1 mile.

Envy . . . Jealousy . . . Desire . . . I want one . . . Just a few thoughts than ran through my head as I read. Beautiful rifle!

Wish I wouldn't of seen that!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good looking unit. Also happy to see there is another lefty shooter out there. Your buddy, that is....

Had just about settled on a stock other than the A-5, may still go with the A-3 though. Decisions - decisions - decisions....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Important question: How much does she weigh? as pictured?

Good luck on getting those animals. Let us know how ya do?

That is one fine looking rifle ss7mm, I love that stock with those colors. I am prepping my 300rum from kirby for the upcoming deer season. He builds an incredible rifle!

BEAUTIFUL GUN!!!!!!!!!

That thing is awesome looking ss7mm, **** nice. Hey and this time you put the bolt handle on the right side /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i am sure you will love it
steve

That right there is what gets me out of bed and into class each day.

Your guns so nice I don't even have the words.

Great choices ss and like lerch said you've got a beautiful gun.

Carl

SS7mm,

Glad your happy with the rifle. Its not everyday that I get to play with a list of componants like that. It was truely a fun to build this rifle although a bit nerve racking knowing the first full blown 7mm Allen Mag rifle is going out to a customer. Guess its kind of like shipping your first kid off to school!!

Here is a pic of what I got your rifle to do with fireformed brass. This is a load producing 3120 fps with the 200 gr ULD RBBT. A very mild load and still shoots well.

335779.jpg

I suspect that with a bit of tayloring you will get some consistant hits at VERY long range with this rig!!!

Here is a pic of how the rifle is throated for the huge 200 gr ULD RBBT. The Accubond loads on the left are for my personal 7mm AM and you can see the difference in throat length.

335781.jpg

Even at those fireforming load levels any elk on the planet will be in serious trouble with that 200 gr ULD. PLEASE POST PICTURES!!!

I just wanted to let everyone know that ss7mm was a major supporter in getting the 7mm Allen Mag off the ground and in the fields by this big game season. Had it not been for him, it would not have been out until next summer at the earliest.

Again, I thank you for your support with this project, I think we done goooood!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

The pictures of the 7AM loaded with the 200 Wildcats are worth far more than 1k words! Impressive is not a strong or stout enough term!

Nice work Kirby! I think I may have a friend graduating in May convinced on your 7AM. He has always shot a 243. He knows nothing of reloading and stuff, but he can shoot very well. He wants a flat shooting 7mm round. I have informed him that they don't come flatter than the 7AM; now I have to convince him this is practical for East TX. I have my work cut out for me! A 7RM is more than enough gun; 7WM is over-kill a little more; 7-300WM and 7RUM are more gun; 7AM is the most gun (as far as I am aware)! All men deserve the best, and in light of most = best, 7AM it must be! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If he decides to get serious, I'll put him in touch with you, and ya'll can discuss his intended applications and choices. I don't want to be the reason he would be dissatisfied with one of your firearms, but if he gets it, I get to reload it for him; therefore, I would be in the door to get my own!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That is an absolute beauty! Very very nice looking rig. Man you didn't hold back one bit. Top of the line with everything. How much does she weight as she sits pictured there?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.