7mm Allen Magnum finished.....

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Well, I got a message tonight to go on stand by to head up to Canada whenever I get the word. The plan is to go up for the last two weeks of November but if a big buck is patterned, I will be heading up as soon as I get a phone call to come up and try to hammer him.

Only problem, I just finished the rifle I hope to use for this hunt today!!!

340192.jpg

340194.jpg

The rifle is chambered for my 7mm Allen Mag with a 1-7 twist 3 groove Lilja #7 contour barrel. Fluted with Dans heavy 50 BMG style flutes. A Holland Comp recoil lug and QD muzzle brake are also fitted.

The receiver is a Rem 700, fully accurized of course and converted to single shot with a weldsmith bottom insert fitted.

The stock is a factory Rem Sendero Laminate stock which I pillar bedded and then filled the mag well with a 50-50 mixture of marine tex and #9 lead shot. Not only does this greatly stiffen up the stock for improved consistancy but it also adds a bit of weight to the stock to shift the balance of the rifle back slightly with the long medium weight barrel.

Trigger is a 1.5-3 lb Rifles Basix trigger set at 1.5 lbs even.

The top metal on the receiver is a Nightforce 20 MOA rail base, Badger Ord Max-50 rings and an Xotic USS 4-16x 56mm in the saddles. The scope and rings were borrowed from my 50 BMG so that is the reason for the Max-50 rings. Far more heavy duty then needed here but they were ready to roll so I used them.

Finished weight of the rifle as pictured is right at 14 lbs. Tommorow I will spend the day doing the barrel break in around customers rifle projects and then hopefully on Friday I will get the 105.0 gr WC872/200 gr ULD RBBT load tuned and ready to roll.

This load is a relatively mild load as it has been averaging right at 3200 fps in the new Lilja barrels so we will see how it performs. Hopefully I have a few days to get ready before I get the call. If not the 257 AM will take a ride up north!!!

I will keep you posted as to the results of the shooting and the hunt.

Kirby Allen(50)

Fiftydriver,
My friend, did you think of me drooling as you were writing this post? Please keep us posted! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I almost forgot! Good Hunting to you!!!!!

I'm with Eaglet. Just put on a clean shirt, wiped off my chin and replenished my fluids so as not to get dehydrated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif You are indeed an artist. Good Luck up north. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Festus

Kirby:

Beautiful looking rifle and great list of components. You picked the best chambering to use for your new Whitetail Hammer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Guys, if you think the gun looks great in the pictures, I can guarantee you that pictures don't do justice to Kirby's work. I know, I've been packing one of his creations and it's been working fantastic and is a work of art in the rifle industry.

Good luck on your trip. We know the rifle and bullets will be up to the task. Now your faithful guide up there, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif just needs to find Mr. Big and you're in business.

Keep us posted.

Well good luck Kirby and good job on that beautiful rifle. Is the 270 AM not gonna get to have any fun on this trip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Even if it doesn't get to eat up in Canada I am sure in about 3 weeks it will be doin some chewin down in Oklahoma /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good Luck and dont forget to get good pics

Good Luck
Steve

Varmicide,

Not this time my friend, more central Alberta. I hope to hunt your area someday though. You know any good whitetail outfitters in your area?

Kirby Allen(50)

Eaglet and Festus,

Thanks for the kind words, I will give a complete report when I get back from the hunt, hopefully with some good results and pics if I can make the shot count!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

ss7mm,

Thanks for the endorsement. With the shooting you have been doing lately, maybe you should be on my trigger when that big whitetail shows himself!!!

As far as my guide goes, I have more faith in him then anyone else I know. He also knows I only hope to get a chance at a mature Canadian whitetail, thats all I hope for. If its book, so be it, if not, will make no difference at all to the quality of the thophy in my mind.

Hell, it could turn very warm and I may not see a thing. It is hunting still and I know how tricky mature whitetails can be to put in the back of the truck. The fun is in the challange of getting to the shot.

Once we get to that point, hopefully its a done deal, knock on wood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Just spending two weeks chasing Canadian whitetails will offer a lifetime of memories and the company will only add to it.

I will give a complete report when I return.

Kirby Allen(50)

Lerch,

The 270 AM is ready but I do not think it will go North with me unless I can not get the 7mm AM ready. It has already established a great field record and I have alot of fine customers out there like you and BJ and several others on this board that will be putting the big 270 to the test this season. I have a feeling you guys will offer more field results that I ever could so I will let you guys have the fun with the 270 AM.

Of course ss7mm has already offered a good amount of field results with the 7mm AM as well but I have yet to get bloodied myself with the big 7mm. My 270 AM has already taken alot of fine game.

Keep us posted on your upcoming hunts as well.

Kirby Allen(50)

Well hopefully we won't disapoint you with the 270 Allen Mags. If you are looking for a guide in Saskatchewan I know one you definanltly shouldn't use /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

good luck Kirby
steve

[ QUOTE ]
will get the 105.0 gr WC872/200 gr ULD RBBT load tuned and ready to roll.

This load is a relatively mild load as it has been averaging right at 3200 fps in the new Lilja barrels so we will see how it performs.

[/ QUOTE ]

200 gr high BC bullet at 3200fps is mild?

I can hardly wait till you put some Tobasco on it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Kirby there is one in my back yard. He looks like a 6 year old 4X5 with great mass. He is a very large bodied whitetail. I am 10 miles East of Regina Saskatchewan but it is only a muzzleloader zone so you are out of luck. I also know where there is a very large 5X5 with 2 8 inch drop tines 30 miles south. I saw him almost every day in september while I was crop dusting.

Goodluck talk to you soon

Robin

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts