7mm Allen Magnum finished.....

There has been an amendment to the rifle for the upcoming trip. Called Dan Lilja and had him send me up a Nightforce 3.5-15x 50mm NXS with the MLR reticle as well as a set of medium Nightforce rings.

Just did not care for how high the big Xotic USS had to be mounted to clear the barrel. She will go back on my 50 BMG and the NXS will find a permanent home on the 7mm Allen Mag.

Already got the drop chart set up for the MLR reticle with the load I will be using which is very mild for this round.

Full numbers are for the large hash marks, 1/2 numbers are for the smaller 1/2 mil hash marks. 0.0 is the main crosshair:

Reference line
0.0................................muzzle out to 350 yards
-0.5...............................390 yards
-1.0...............................470 yards
-1.5...............................550 yards
-2.0...............................625 yards
-2.5...............................695 yards
-3.0...............................765 yards
-3.5...............................830 yards
-4.0...............................895 yards
-4.5...............................955 yards
-5.0...............................1010 yards Start of heavy post of reticle

For ranges in between these you simply bracket the buck between the appropriate reference marks and pull the trigger.

When Richard get the heavier jacketed 200 gr ULDs up and running I will step things up to 3300 fps and see what happens, or not. will see how well she shoots at this level.

The MLR is basically the same reticle as the TMR from Leupold. Standard Mil Dot system but with fine lines instead of dots and also has 1/2 mil smaller lines as well for a finer hold for those "in between" ranges. The space between these lines is 1.8 moa compared to 2 moa for the NP-R2 reticle from Nightforce.

Just like the 270 AM using the standard mil dot dimensions, the 7mm AM will easily reach 1000 yards using the mild dot, TMR or MLR reticles. That with a 300 yard zero.

The nice thing is that its midrange trajectories with a 300 yard zero is only 3.6" so there is very little chance of overshooting should a 150-200 yard shot present itself. Out to 350 yards or so, use the main crosshair, past that, let the hash marks guide the bullet out to 1K. VERY fast system to use in the field. Admittedly perhaps not as accurate as dialing in, in theory but plenty for putting a 200 gr ULD through the chest of a big whitetail out to Very long ranges and with no scope adjustment or chance of loosing your zero in the field.

I guess I am just a simpleton but it does work well!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Let us know how the reticle works, Kirby. I just sent off my scope for the Gen 2 Mil-Dot which I'll use the same way as you are above if Leupold drags their feet on the M2 knobs I want.

One note--are you sure the distance between the lines is 1.8 MOA and not 1.8 inches per hundred yards, or 1.72 MOA? Not that it makes a big difference (1.6" @ 1000 yds) I just want to make sure I have things right. I've already modified Dave's spreadsheet to automatically generate dropcharts in Mils that can be taped to the stock.

Can I ask this questions without getting people upset?
What did you set your BC @ when getting these numbers with the 200 gr.? Also whatMV, Temp & elev?
If you think it will stir the pot, please just email me.
Thanks!

[ QUOTE ]

The space between these lines is 1.8 moa compared to 2 moa for the NP-R2 reticle from Nightforce.
That with a 300 yard zero.
The nice thing is that its midrange trajectories with a 300 yard zero is only 3.6"

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't understand the 1.8 Mils between the lines......

I'm with ya the rest of the way.

The rainbow shooter I'm shooting is nearly 6" high mid range zero'd at 300 and hits the 5 mil post at 820 AND takes longer than a hungry fella going after a big Mac tp get there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm thinkin' a 224 otta shot about as flat as that 7 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck on the hunt, I figure you earned it.

Jon A.

I apologize, I typed that wrong, There is roughly 3.6" per 100 yards for each Mil Dot spacing. The MLR is the same system only using fine lines with the addition of 1/2 marks as well.

There is 1.8" between the half marks per 100 yards, roughly.

Sorry for the mix up typing faster then I am thinking!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Ernie,

I will tell you what BC value I used to generate this drop chart. Before I do though, to everyone wanting to raise a fuss about this, these are not scientificly proven BC values. They have been used to produce bullet drop compensation charts for ranges from 300 to 1400 yards though with this bullet so take it for what it is, just a number plugged into a ballistic program.

The data I used was as follows:

3100 fps
45 degrees F
29.92 pressure
3000 ft elevation

BC used .925

I will be testing this though the next week preparing for the hunt so I will let you know if any tweaking may be needed.

Again, for those wanting to throw your BS flags, please do not, this is not what you would call a pure BC value under most of your definitions, at least those of you that would be looking to discredit this number.

I will report soon how close this information was from actual bullet drop. I suspect it will be VERY close to dead on the money as far as bullet drop is concerned.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby, look forwards to the reports on the performance of the 200 grainers. I've e-mailed you re some questions on the 7mm AM but am having problems with my server so my message may have not got through, could you advise? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Kirby

Not everybody thinks that a peice of brass is some sort of family heirloom that must be preserved at all costs. When I was pushing my 7mm Wby, I would load up about 3 grains low and fire my new brass to fit the chamber and then would load to max and get one good firing and then maybe the primer pocket would be tight enough to fire again and maybe not but seldom did a peice of brass make it to a third max load firing. My opinion is that a piece of brass is no different from a primer or a bullet or a spoonful of powder. It is there to be expended. I was somewhat surprised to read that Darryl Cassel loaded the same way. Get one good shot and then throw the brass away.

Any way, the point of the whole post is that I sincererly hope you can get 3300 fps out of a cold weather hunting load with a heavy jacket 200 grain bullet even if it means loosening a few primer pockets to get it.
What is a few dollars of brass against the cost of gasoline and nonresident licenses.

Good luck in Canada.

[ QUOTE ]
I apologize, I typed that wrong....There is 1.8" between the half marks per 100 yards, roughly.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks Kirby. I figured that's what you meant, just wanted to make sure. Let us know how that MLR works out. It looks nice.

Very nice looking rig. I guess when you get the call, they will be giving you a firing solution. Just shoot from your house to the deer in Canada!!! That would save alot with flights and hotels /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hunting in the flat lands of Canada. How far do you plan to shoot? I am sure that 200gr WC will make quite an impression.

Good luck with your hunt and send details. Got lucky myself last week on a nice 4X4 mulie at 94yds. didn't have time to back up for a LR shot but I'll gladly take it.

Enjoy...

Jerry

will you be using the bullets with the sierra or berger jackets? also, have you figured what fps you can get with that 30" barrel? third, i've heard from a VERY reliable source that there is a VERY large deer where you will be hunting.your biggest worry is the distance some deer travel this time of year.hopefully the local girls will keep him at the local watering holes! alberta farmland in mid november might put a damper on your future deer hunting.

Jerry,

I plan on being ready for anything out to 1K before I head up north. Personally I am looking for anything under 700 yards btu want to be ready in case I need to push things a bit farther. No worries about the rifle and round, just not as much time on this trigger as I would generally like.

Ya know what they say, a gunsmiths personal rifle is always the last one built before the season, that was surely the case here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

If ol' daddy big boy shows up at 94 yards I will be more then willing to trip that trigger!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Dave,

These are the old J-4 jackets. We are finding with the 7mm AM that at 3250 fps this jacket is having integrity problems and at times letting loose. Luckily there are very few 7mm rounds that can drive it this fast, well one that I know of.

As such, I did not want to push the issue real hard to stay away from this potential problem which is a problem with any J-4 jacket in a fast twist barrel.

The new jackets will not have this problem as far as velocity limits!!! Should be fun to play with.

I tested three loads out today, 103.0 gr, 104.0 gr and 105.0 gr of WC872. Average velocity roughly 3120, 3150 and 3200 fps respectively for these loads.

103.0 gr made ragged holes on paper at 100 yards. The higher loads were both right at 1/2" at 100 yards for three shot groups.

Since I already had the drop chart figured for 3100 fps I settled on the 103.0 gr load with its 3120 fps average. At 1000 yards this load is still packin 2200 fps of velocity and +2000 ft/lbs of energy. I think it will handle any whitetail at this range if I do my part.

The new 3.5-15x 50mm NXS is flat out awsome. Simply a perfect fit to this rifle. Perfect eye relief, perfect mounting height for this stock. Dropped the weight of the rifle significantly. Also, Dan sent me a pair of the new Ultralight NF rings to try. These are aluminum with Titanium cross pins and base clamps, very impressive rings, VERY LIGHT and very sturdy. actually seem lighter then a pair or standard Burris Signature rings.

Had come customers show up at the shop today so I was not able to get out and test at long range but did get my ammo loaded so hopefully in the morning we will give her a go at long range and get dialed in out to 1K.

I have heard stories of some big deer up in that area. Hope one of these big 200 gr ULDs gets to chew on one of them!!! We will see.

Kirby Allen(50)

I always said LRH is defined by the bullets available. This 200gr 7mm is changing the landscape. I am glad I didn't invest too much in the 30 and 338 cannons.

With the performance the 7 200gr bullet will provide, little more is needed this side of a mile, maybe further. With a BC that high, LR wind drift will be cut dramatically. With the stronger jackets and muzzle velocity around 3200fps, a close shot can also be taken without bullet explosion. That's a whole lot of whoop ***.

All around, a most awesome package. Of all the AM cartridges, I think this is the best simply because of the bullet. I am sure heavier 30 and 338's will come but then you run into recoil and case capacity issues. Short of necking down BMG cases, gets hard to launch these 'boulders' in moderately long barrels.

Would a 350gr 338 arriving at 2500fps offer anymore killing then the 7mm 200gr at 2800fps? Both will hit insanely hard.

Will have to think about building another LR cannon around this bullet. 7 twist, 30" barrel you say? What would you say the recoil is like in your posted rig? 11lbs ready to hunt?

Very interesting indeed...

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.