ER Shaw Barrels

That should tell you somthing about er shaw and savage rifle customers. There cheep. If you dont want to pay for a good blank and have a quality smith do a match grade chamber that is propery polished with hand laped threads . than you will never shoot better than your crappy barrel from er shaw. Thats why team savage used krieger barrels and has a qualified smith do the work. ( not savage) uses pacific tool and gage floating heads and aftermarkt nuts and lugs.

You might say I'm cheap! I just don't feel that I need to pay someone money for doing something that I can do in a few minutes in my shop. I hand lap and polish my barrels,it isn't hard to do.
Since Savage actions have a "Floating" bolt head,there's no need in wasting money to have the action Trued like most other actions need,in most cases.
I always use aftermarket barrel nuts and recoil lugs on my rifles.You don't need a gunsmith to screw a barrel onto an action,set the head space,and tighten a barrel nut.

I have rifles with Shilen select match grade barrels,McGowen match grade barrels,Seekins Precision match grade barrels,White Oak Armament match grade barrels,Wilson Arms match grade,and E.R.Shaw barrels.
They all shoot very good,so go preach your crap to someone that will listen,and care.

If you like giving your money away to a gunsmith,that's you're problem. I like keeping mine in my pocket when I can do the work myself.

If Paul needs a stiller action with a krieger barrel for every gun, let him go. For us normal guys who don't measure with a micrometer, Shaw barrels will shoot better than we can.

I have barrels made from a few different makers. The way Ilook at it is by what im using it for. My 6x45 wears a shaw barrel and Ilike it. I use it for fun at the range and hunting. when hunting I know I must keep my shots at an appropriate distance. If I miss steel at 500 yards oh well I'm still having fun and I have full customs if Ineed to hit that steel. So if spending mmoney on a full custom long range rig. I choose to use a match grade if I'm doing anything but a shaw does me well. Hell may even work awsome in full custom. Just my choice not to.

Hey mark, how's the high end gunsmith business going, booming? It's funny I frequent shooting sites, and have NEVER read your name or your business name. How come, are you not as good as you think you are? Have you been a poser for 27 years? Come clean, we know you are a want-a-be. I have had customs, and without even knowing you, I am sure you would not be able to turn out half as good of a firearm as they can. Simply because they do not brag, boast or run people or their equipment into the ground, but I will. So take a hike you poser......:)

Hey mark, how's the high end gunsmith business going, booming? It's funny I frequent shooting sites, and have NEVER read your name or your business name. How come, are you not as good as you think you are? Have you been a poser for 27 years? Come clean, we know you are a want-a-be. I have had customs, and without even knowing you, I am sure you would not be able to turn out half as good of a firearm as they can. Simply because they do not brag, boast or run people or their equipment into the ground, but I will. So take a hike you poser......:)

This is very poor thinking. 6mm I have a high end rifle by a extremely well known builder everyone knows with a great web site. Problem is it was the worst experience I have ever had with a gun. So many problems I had to pay to have him fix I couldn't believe it. So the way you are going about this is wrong. Just cause a place builds one good rifle and does a great marketing program does not make them better. Not saying he does know his **** but not saying he doesn't. Although he may not cause i don't own but two savages and they both shoot plus I'm getting fed up with customs when these guys with stock savages make me look like I wasted money at the range. lol. Like everything else some time stock works some dont. i like custom guns iI think they are worth the money.

I have definitely made a lot of custom rifles and their shooters look bad with my Savage's that I screwed together. The shooter matters as much as the rifle no matter who made it..... I'm off topic, so I will bring it back, I have never had an E R Shaw barrel, but would own one. I do own pre-fits Shilen, CBI, custom Kriegers, Lawton and many factory on about 15 Savage's. My full customs usually sit. I will be buying a Curtis action to build another, just because I want too... I may have Greg Tannel build me another rifle, the last one was a laser beam. Sorry got off topic again....

The most accurate rifles in the world shoot 1/4 MOA. The kind of accuracy I'm hearing about shaw barrels across the forums is 1/2 MOA.

Everybody knows that the shooter is as important as the gun... If you can afford to have a nationally renowned gunsmith build you a gun, then you probably have written Shaw off without even giving them a try.

I own one of their rifles. Believe it is called a mark VII (might not remember correctly). Anyway it is the savage action with the er shaw barrel. First I emailed and called them about a build for the type of rifle I wanted. They were always very quick to respond and answer questions. The price was someplace close to $1500. I didn't order the rifle as they wouldn't give any kind of a warrenty on the performance of the rifle. A few month later I was on Gun Broker and here was an er shaw just like the one I wanted to order, even in the right caliber (300 win mag). Opening bid was $750, so I opened the bid and ended up with the rifle. You can never own to many rifles and at 750 I was willing to take a chance. It's a 1/2 inch moa rifle and has been on a number of elk hunts. I do like the rifle and it's been a decent rifle for hunting, I probably don't have more than a couple hundred rounds down the barrel and it is now a backup. But for the right price I would take another chance on their products.

I'd take 1/2 MOA for a $750 Win Mag all day. And I'd definitely pay $1000 to have one built to my specs through their shop.

DMJ, how was the fit and finish on the rifle? Can you post a pic, I've never seen a shaw gun.

DMJ, how was the fit and finish on the rifle? Can you post a pic, I've never seen a shaw gun.

They are built on a savage action. The barrel is a spiral flute at 26 inches plus a muzzle brake. The fit and finish I would consider decent. Remember we aren't talking about a $3000 plus rifle. I'm away from home at the current moment. Will try and post some pictures later. It is a good shooting rifle and with the brake very pleasant to shoot.

I am bringing up an old discussion here but have a new E.R. Shaw barrel on an old rifle that I want to tell about. I was wanting to have my late father's old Ruger 77 in 25/06Rem rebarreled to a heavy varminter in 22/250Rem. I checked out some barrel makers such as Hart and Lothar Walther and some others but their time frame was way out there or they don't flute barrels. At the bottom of the list was E.R. Shaw and my smith said he had installed a few of them and hadn't heard any complaints back, so I reluctantly had him order the 26" stainless helical fluted barrel 1/12" twist heavy varminter. The order was slower than what was stated when ordered but wasn't too long of wait. I looked the rifle over after the installation and this gun is well worn and battered but the barrel really looked good to me, but mind you I don't have a bore scope. I mounted my 6-24X50 Burris Blackdiamond scope in Redfield Ruger style rings, which BTW are very hard to center, at least for me. I found this out on it's maiden voyage to the range. Upon shooting it the second try at the range when shooting for groups with 55 grain Sierra flat base SP bullets over H4895 in Win. cases and LRP primers. I was shooting at a 200 yd target frame, which measures 198 yds on the S-I-L's range finder. My start loads were not good and I hoped the groups would improve with higher pressure. The last two loadings were 35.6 grains and 35.7 grains. I let my S-I-L shoot these as I have a bad catarac on my right eye. The 35.6 load didn't show very much promise but then he shot the final 35.7 load. I was watching through a spotting scope and saw the first buller hit low and right, he fired again and I didn't see another hole so I told him to shoot again and I still couldn't find the hole. I had him fire the remaining two rounds at two different targets and on both the bullets hit the same corresponding low and right. Upon retrieving the targets we found that the first target he shot at put the three rounds through one hole too small to measure. I have loaded up some more of these but haven't been back to the range yet to confirm this load. Until this load and barrel are verified I will neither brag nor glorify this barrel, but I am very optimistic. Thanks for bearing with me, Dennis

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.