Dysfunctional Remington 9-1/2 Primers

Im_leary

I am providing this information as a service to the members of the Long Range Hunting Forums so please take these observations in the context intended... as information, not as a spark for a ****ing-contest.

In summary I purchased a brick of Remington 9-1/2 primers from my local dealer in December, 2007. I loaded 800 of these primers into .22-250 rounds over the next few months. When the weather improved to the point that I felt I could do some meaningful load testing, I took these rounds to the range for some intensive testing. What I found was 26 misfires in the first 132 rounds.

Additional relevant information is that the rifle is my old Winchester Model 70 National Match rifle. Prior to being a 22-250, it has worn four different .308 barrels. In the 12,000+ rounds of match competition and practice, it has never, ever, misfired. After I disassembled the balance of the 800 rounds loaded with the questionable lot of Remington 9-1/2 primers, I have loaded and fired 386 rounds. These 386 rounds were loaded using both a new lot of Remington 9-1/2 and Federal 210M primers. There were no misfires whatsoever.

In summary, every misfire encountered was with a round using a Remington 9-1/2 primer from lot #1502. There have been no other misfires before or since.

Essentially, Mr. Conrad's (Remington) response was my gun is broken, have it checked by a gunsmith... and oh, here is $5.00 for your trouble. I called Mr. Conrad and asked him to share the findings of his investigation. Suffice to say, he would not answer my questions. When he reiterated his position that my gun was malfunctioning, I pointed out that his premise; that there is nothing wrong with lot# 1502, even though this malfunction happened 26 times and only when using lot #1502, he became quite angry. When I hung up the phone on him he was still ranting, "... if you know all those statistics, then I guess you know everything there is to know and...". In deference to Mr. Conrad, I do not know everything there is to know... but after spending an entire career as an engineer, I do know a modicum of the science of probability and statistics. That knowledge of statistics would lead me to believe that a 19.7% failure rate, with one specific lot of primers, and in light of a 0.0% failure rate exhibited before and after using that particular lot of primers, the chance that there is a problem with those primers is statistically significant.

If anyone is interested in seeing a photocopy of the letters, please send an email.

I bought a brick of Rem 7 1/2 primers and had 5 misfires in 18 shots.
That happened today and I bought the primers in feb I believe.

Send me a copy of the letter

Just for statistical info, I have fired just short of 500 Remington 9 1/2M primers in the last 6 months and have not had one misfire.

Hope I bought a good lot because I have 3500 of them left!

There were no FED GM215M primers available locally and I had tested the REM 9 1/2M primers and found them to shoot as good as the FED GM215M primers I had been using, so I bought 3 more bricks....

primer problems

hi
i know exactly where your comming from (40 years loading )
about 10 years ago i had the same experience with cc i 200 primers,the cup was too hard & the firing pins would barely dent the cup .after speeking to omark they told me to send some loaded ammo ,fired rounds & some of the existing lot of primers which i did .they came up with every excuse in the book that i was at fault. the ironic thing is all the miss fires i experienced were from four different rifles with no previous history of miss fires .point is forget about getting any compensation or better yet a simple we made a mistake from gun companies. the only thing we can do is what were doing & leave the public know about it.this isn't my first experience in these type situations.gun)

I had a mishap with some Remington percussion caps once, if that relates at all. I had a single shot muzzle loading .50 cal pistol that I decided to deer hunt with several years back. It shot a load of 80grns pyrodex and a Remington cap. I shot this thing dozens of times getting used to the sights and the recoil. The day before season I shot all my caps and went to Wally World and bought another pack. The next morning I had a huge 13 point walk to within 15 steps of my ground blind and stop to grab a bite to eat. I had the pistol up with my hands rested over my knees and was actually smiling thinking "This is too easy!" when I squeezed the trigger...."CLICK!". The deer looked up at me, I slowly pulled the hammer back again and "CLICK!". He just stared at me and in a fit of rage I threw the pistol at him. A week later a guy not far down the ridge on some adjoining property killed him, 160" plus 13point. Half of those caps didn't go off and the boys at Remington got an ear full and probably a good laugh out of it.

Hmmmm sounds like a firing pin and spring to me that might be the culprit. Maybe some testing is in order here as well as a complete bolt stripping and cleaning.

Just a thought---I have seen this happen before.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.