Does the 6.5PRC need a Muzzle Brake?

Why does the concern for others and muzzle brakes always come about?Call me selfish I don't give a crap about my hunting partner in the final moments leading to a shot! Guns are loud to begin with, muzzle blast is their problem not mine! Not in my potential moment of triumph. I'm not catering my rifle's set up around them. I'll gladly buy them ear pro but no one is dictating my rifle's set up minus state laws!

Wow , can we go a week without the muzzle break argument?! It's a personal preference , so why not have the Smith thread the barrel for one and put a thread protector on it. Shoot it without and Uf muzzle jump or recoil is a problem screw one on and done. Seems simple to me.
I think all LR guns should have the muzzle threaded and be supplied with at least a thread protector. That way you always have options to set it up for whatever need. I also think it will help its resale value.

I am legally deaf in my left ear(87% hearing loss) and 70% deaf in my right ear due to brakes and that's with a pair of over the ear muff's for 99% of shooting.
To protect the precious little hearing I still have I use Walkers behind the ear protectors with Walkers sound protection/Enhancement over the over the ear muffs.
Without hearing aids I can not contribute to any conversation.
My next step is implants all due to muzzle brakes and some were not on my guns.
I shot competition in the 70's with cotton in my ear and shooting muff's over my ears and everyone I shot competition with was in the same boat.The point of all this is this:
Now there are in the ear/over the ear and muff's that would have protected my hearing but I felt I did not need all that much protection and now I can't hear.
IF you want a brake use 2 kinds of hearing protection,1 in the ear or over the ear 2 quality muffs.I have seen folks go from not scoring high enough to go to the next competition to being in the competition due to a brake.THEY DO WORK!

Actually, no
Osha stats if any noise is over 85 db then a hearing protection program must be instated that provides training and ppe to reduce hearing los. If you have a time weighted average over 85db then if a hearing protection program isnt in place and people arent wearing hearing protection then sitations/violations/fines are incurred, time weighted over 85db for full shift requires hearing pro for the whole shift ...if you have any single noise at or above 120db it's an automatic violation and hearing pro must be worn during that activity to the extent of wearing muffs over plugs --- this is all of course after engineering controls to reduce the noise levels at the source and management controls to remove the personnel from the noise increased areas

If you really want to be disappointed look at how NRR dB reduction ratings are obtained. By your standards you'd need a suppressor, ear plugs, and muffs to be "safe"

I would put one on my Daisy BB gun. I don't have one on my
.338 but, to me, it doesn't kick that much. My two kids have
a .300 and a .340 Weatherby. Both have brakes and are really
nice to shoot. It's a lot easier to shoot good groups with a brake.
The guides up in Canada didn't like them because of the noise.
Zeke

If you shoot competition, or just a lot you will have permanent hearing loss. You can use muffs and or plugs to get the noise down nearly to supressor levels, which are still too loud without hearing protection. Blame the Government for this loss. It could be pretty much avoided with good supressors and muffs.

If you shoot competition, or just a lot you will have permanent hearing loss. You can use muffs and or plugs to get the noise down nearly to supressor levels, which are still too loud without hearing protection. Blame the Government for this loss. It could be pretty much avoided with good supressors and muffs.
I use my muffs with my suppresser... Bluetooth to some tunes and shoot away

I shoot my PRC with a can, so can't speak as to noise, but I did add weight to my stock to calm the recoil a bit. Mind you, I shoot this gun A LOT. It's not a 10 rounds per year gun, more like 200 rounds per year, so recoil management is important. Love the caliber. Love what it does down range.

You ever seen a sniper rifle? When it's your job, as a professional: If you absolutely, positively, have to get it where it's going...there's no shame in a muzzle brake. It works. Or a 14 pound rig, or both, whichever works for you.

Recent Posts