To muzzle brake or not to muzzle brake?

rharfo

I am shopping for a smith to build my 13 year old son a 280 AI. Should I add a muzzle brake for him? And my daughter is 9, as she grows I may want her to shoot it. I currently have a factory Rem 700 rechambered to 280AI in a HS Precision stock. I don't think there's much recoil but I am 6' 2 250 lbs. The factory gun's action is gonna be donated for the build unless I go full custom. Also thoughts on a stock that I could adjust lenght of pull? McMillan with spacers? I want the gun to end up under 7.5 lbs without scope. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Last edited:
I debated between a 6.5 284 or the 280AI. After explaining to my son that I think the 28 cal will be better for elk and black bear he agreed to go AI. I have both calibers so theres no issue on my end other then suitablility for the bigger stuff. I like the idea of the 28 running 120-160 grain bullets.....

I agree. Put a brake on it. Also, you can load it down to start (with lighter bullets) and load it up as your son gets bigger. You don't need to be at book max to drop critters!

I say no. Noise and muzzle blast will scare a kid just as much as recoil. A better option is to not waste money on a brake and just let the kid shoot milder loads in it until hes capable of shooting full power stuff.

I started both my sons with a 6.5x55 Swede pushing 140gr NPs as their 1st hunting rifle at age 10 without a brake. If I get to do it over again, I'd definitely go with a muzzle brake ... so yes, another vote for a muzzle brake.

Reduced felt recoil and muzzle rise/drop is a big plus.

With proper training, practice, and protections, this 9 year old girl was able to harvest a brute of a bear using the .375H&H ...

http://www.bear-hunting.com/news.cfm?Action=News&NewsFlashID=291
http://www.skinnymoose.com/bbb/2007/01/29/new-world-record-brown-bear/

Good luck!

I don,t like muzzle brakes but there is definitely a place for them and this sounds like one.

Get an adjustable butt stock, shoot lighter bullets , reduce the loads especially when shooting targets,
Place a good quiet brake (Something like the Vias and train your kids to use ear protection all
the time). Later on you can replace the brake with a barrel nut if you wan,t to.

When going hunting you can boost the load a little and they will never know it under hunting conditions
because of the Adrenalin.

The nice thing about the 280 is ,they can grow into it and never be handicapped with to little gun.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

When going hunting you can boost the load a little and they will never know it under hunting conditions because of the Adrenalin.
J E CUSTOM

Excellent point! You're absolutely right, it's not an issue for me afield (1 or 2 shots) ... most of the pounding occurs during range time (most often than not, too many shots :D).

Absolutely brake it, get a good brake side discharge baffle brake so they experience zero concussion and they'll love it and shooting.
I made a point to take my daughter ear muff shopping so she got something she liked and would take with her shooting, she loves hitting the range with me and she'll shoots right with me the only thing having brakes on rifles that we shoot has done is me and my daughter burn more ammo gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.