Need a muzzle brake compairison

James Jones

I'm looking to get a new brake for a 300Mag , the barrel is 28" and it threaded for 5/8-24. I've heard some good things about the OPS brake but was wondering how is compaires to the Vias and Holland as far as the recoil reduction and muzzel blast.

I've got a JP on it right now but it's pretty big and ugly was wanting some thing more contured to the barrel

I have a 300 Jarret with Kenny's brake, and three rifles with Vais brakes. Both give very good recoil reduction, but I prefer the Vais because it seems to me that the muzzle blast is not nearly as loud as is the Jarrett. Vais claims that it is due to the multiporting used in his brake which interrupts and redirects the blast. IMO it works. Shooting the Jarrett (and I assume others of the same basic design) one time without ear protection will make a believer out of you - it is painful! I do not recommend using the Vais without protection, but forgetting the muffs before shooting with the Vais is not as memorable as is with the Jarrett.

I've got an Ops Inc on my 300 WM Sendero and it recoils about the same or slightly less than my Rem VS 700 .308, which is minimal. Very good brake.

I have/had all three.... for a carry rifle or bench gun.. VIAS for a LR rifle/hunting/tactical where you may be shooting off the ground/dirt or whatever.. Hands down OPS.Inc or Badger.. with recoil reduction going to the OPS Inc. This break also moves the sound to the side and forward a bit and isn't quite as loud as som eof the others...

Check out www.muzzlebrake.com. High Performance Gunsmithing in Montana does an excellent job of matching taper and finish to where you can't even tell where the barrel ends and the brake begins. They also provide a thread cap that matches perfectly as well if you want to take the brake off. They guarantee 50% recoil reduction. My largets caliber is 300 Weatherby and I can shoot it all day. email me if you want pictures.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.