Does anyone ever have your shotgun fitted to you?

The year I won my class at the Ohio Cup at Mad River I cut back on Sporting Clays and started live bird shoots!. The options pay a LOT more!
All you need to play that game is a Cadillac with a trunk full of money and two Perazzi bunker guns. LOL, but the bbq is always good!!

Don't expect instant miracles. Most coaches say it takes 5k rounds to get used to a new competition shotgun. Having your current one fitted may shorten that some, but usually not by a lot, if any. In my experience they are right, but it takes even more rounds more than not. I truly believe gun fit and a good coach are necessary to compete at the top levels. When I switched to a Kolar it was late in the season before I won anything with it. People make their own luck in competition and the only way you can buy high scores is to spend a lot of money on powder, and burn every grain of it exactly the way your coach told you to do it. Every practice shot, one at a time, no playing. My coach once told me that most birds that are missed are missed before they are ever called for. This is SO true. Work on your preshot routine, and clear your mind before calling for the bird, then concentrate on the bird. Make it the same for every bird. That alone will pick up some birds for you. Get your gun fitted, and get a GOOD coach. This is NOT the guys you are shooting with. Do exactly what he says and use the money you saved to buy powder.
I dont expect to become a competition shooter just be fitting the shotgun to me, but I know there will be an improvement.

I dont expect to become a competition shooter just be fitting the shotgun to me, but I know there will be an improvement.
Everyone says that.... They just want to get better. Problem is it becomes an obsession as addictive as cocaine and just as expensive. Trust me, that rabbit hole is deep. I never found the bottom. Poor health sent me a rope. I have a new Dr that may just cut that rope and let me fall back in though.

Everyone says that.... They just want to get better. Problem is it becomes an obsession as addictive as cocaine and just as expensive. Trust me, that rabbit hole is deep. I never found the bottom. Poor health sent me a rope. I have a new Dr that may just cut that rope and let me fall back in though.
Only if you let it. I shoot sporting clays a few times a year for fun! All I want is to be the 3rd low score in my foursome, which I usually am. I am not compeptive in any sport. I can't afford to be

Do you buy a rifle that does not fit you and don't make sure it does after? When you sit in a car someone else was diving, do you adjust the seat? Same with the shotgun. MHO

Only if you let it. I shoot sporting clays a few times a year for fun! All I want is to be the 3rd low score in my foursome, which I usually am. I am not compeptive in any sport. I can't afford to be
Neither could I.... That was the problem. I had to win to keep playing

Do you buy a rifle that does not fit you and don't make sure it does after? When you sit in a car someone else was diving, do you adjust the seat? Same with the shotgun. MHO
How far from San Antonio are you?

While I have been lucky and have an average physical make-up that is quite close to the average dimensions of many manufacturers, I do have a couple of custom fitted shotguns. It does make a material difference, and I have used these shotguns almost exclusively over the last 25 years or so.. My only advice "before" having a shotgun custom fitted would be to have your "shooting style/form" evaluated by a qualified individual first.

Last edited:
For years I have loved rifles with shorter length of pull. I stopped to talk to a friend shooting clay pigeons with his new Beretta Silver Pigeon. He insisted that I try it. I hit 4 in a row and was astounded at how well it fit me. I just happened to find one for a great price the following week. I'm loving it. I was shocked when I found out the LOP was around 14-5/8".

Yes, this is quite typical. My rifles all have trigger pulls of 13 1/4"-13 3/4". I've been professionally fitted on two occasions for shotguns and the LOP's for both were set at 14 3/4". I shoot my best with these shotguns. The drops at heel and toe are also less then my rifles producing a straighter stock. Additionally, the stock are bent(cast-off) to align the horizontal point of impact. This not only fits the stock so that when properly mounted, the shot hits exactly where you are looking, but also lessens recoil for fast follow up shots.

I was looking at the CZ Upland Ultralight with the 26 inch barrels. The length of pull is 14.5 inches which seems awful long. Just based on what I have read on how to measure your own length of pull, mine is around 13 inches. Do they expect people to use it with that length of pull or did they intentionally make it that long so it could be cut to a custom length? Not that this is an expensive OU but I was just curious if the more expensive OU's were custom fitted for the user.
Sounds like you answered your own question. Browning does this as well. and yes, they increase LOP so that the gun can be sized down. I've seen this over the past 8-9 years. In fact while at a clinic with Olympic trap coaches, they actually discussed gun fit and a particular Browning trap gun was mentioned as an example of what the manufactures are doing. I suspect CZ has decided to go that route. Feel blessed; now you can shorten it to your like and alter the pitch for comfort.