Does anyone ever have your shotgun fitted to you?

I was looking at the CZ Upland Ultralight with the 26 inch barrels. The length of pull is 14.5 inches which seems awful long. Just based on what I have read on how to measure your own length of pull, mine is around 13 inches. Do they expect people to use it with that length of pull or did they intentionally make it that long so it could be cut to a custom length? Not that this is an expensive OU but I was just curious if the more expensive OU's were custom fitted for the user.
Here's what I did...seems to work for me:
1. Go to Italy
2. Get fit.
3. Order gun
4. Wait 13 months
5. Kill everything that flies.

I had a passion for shooting sporting clays for years. I started shooting shotguns around the age of eight and was always quite good with them. When I started shooting sporting clays I learned that the gun has to fit the shooter, no exceptions or they will never shoot the shotgun well. The shotgun needs to be an extension of your arm, it flows with the motion of your body as you track an intercept the target. It has to point where you eye is looking and it has to do it effortlessly in order to work correctly. If you have to compensate because it is to long or to short or the cast is wrong you will never be an effective wing shooter. You can probably hit squirrels and rabbits and slow moving targets but when it comes to fast moving targets the fit is everything. If you talk to any serious clay shooter, no matter what the discipline, they will tell you that there shotgun fits like a glove. My suggestion would be to find a competent gunsmith in your area and have him measure you and fit the gun to you. There is no better feeling than crushing targets with a shotgun, whether it be clays or upland birds, its just spectacular.

Good Luck

I had a passion for shooting sporting clays for years. I started shooting shotguns around the age of eight and was always quite good with them. When I started shooting sporting clays I learned that the gun has to fit the shooter, no exceptions or they will never shoot the shotgun well. The shotgun needs to be an extension of your arm, it flows with the motion of your body as you track an intercept the target. It has to point where you eye is looking and it has to do it effortlessly in order to work correctly. If you have to compensate because it is to long or to short or the cast is wrong you will never be an effective wing shooter. You can probably hit squirrels and rabbits and slow moving targets but when it comes to fast moving targets the fit is everything. If you talk to any serious clay shooter, no matter what the discipline, they will tell you that there shotgun fits like a glove. My suggestion would be to find a competent gunsmith in your area and have him measure you and fit the gun to you. There is no better feeling than crushing targets with a shotgun, whether it be clays or upland birds, its just spectacular.

Good Luck
Well said.

I've known quite a few guys with Kolars, they are pretty sexy.
I have a kolar custom that has gone a long ways paying for itself. It is a good looking stick with great wood and nice engraving. Not quite as sexy as a high end p gun, but I take it out on every date I can. Sexy can also be needy, and p guns eat springs.

I have a Kolar with a carrier barrel and sub gauge tubes but they cost plenty. There are plenty of good shotguns that don't break the bank!
One year at the Grand I saw a Purdy 28 ga. side by side but 28K was a bit more than I had

Good Luck
Like you I started early using shotguns, didn't own a rifle until mid twentys. Started shooting sporting clays in my late thirtys and and had a OU fitted ! I've put on some pounds in the last fourty years and it doesn't point like it had before.

Fitting (with a TRY-gun) and bending a shotgun buttstock will greatly improve your wing shooting IMO. Especially if your torso, head, neck, arms are a bit longer, shorter, bigger, smaller than whatever is considered average/norm by the manufacturer.

I need far more "cast off" than a factory gun offers.

Like you I started early using shotguns, didn't own a rifle until mid twentys. Started shooting sporting clays in my late thirtys and and had a OU fitted ! I've put on some pounds in the last fourty years and it doesn't point like it had before.
Yeah sometimes the years aren't so kind to us. I have put on some additional poundage as well. Luckily most of it is around the mid section so the old scattergun still fits like a glove.

Yeah sometimes the years aren't so kind to us. I have put on some additional poundage as well. Luckily most of it is around the mid section so the old scattergun still fits like a glove.
I can still knock down some doves , but can't take pounding from 12 gauge ! I really miss it. Shot a sweet little 28 gauge last summer! But I'm71 and my reaction time is way to slow now. But its still a blast to shoot. Got good shot guns to pass down but only one young man in the family is even remotely interested in gun sports and it involves a AR.

Last edited:
Biggest problem with gunfitting is expense. A complete fitting including shooting in multiple sessions and a custom stock costs more than 99.5% of the shotguns sold in the US. Also, mostly competition shooters and their close friends see the value of going to the trouble and expense. Culture thing I guess. In Europe a larger percentage of guns are fitted. Those folks don't have a safe full and they are prized possessions. Here we can have all we want and few could afford to have them all fitted. However, those who have gone through the process understand it and the value. They can also get their shelf guns to fit better with shims etc.