Anyone have a Mossberg 500 slug gun?

AJ Peacock

A friend of mine is looking at this shotgun in 20ga and was wondering if I could do some research. My first thought was to ask here.

Anybody with any info? He can get a combo with a rifled barrel and smooth barrel for a little more tha $300

Thanks,
AJ

They make a great cheap deer gun! I hunted with a 500 12ga for 10 years. It shoots the plain winchester 2 3/4" (the ones in gray box not black one) very well. My Dad has a 20 ga 500 and he has to shoot 3" federal sabots to get them to shoot well. Has done him well for many years.

I'd tell him to buy it then go get a box of every type of slug readily availiable and shot them with a lead sled so you don't have a sore shoulder. I can shoot that slug gun an awful lot with the lead sled protecting my shoulder.

I had one that had a real problem extracting empties and was basically a single shot. I had a hard time with the dealer and the warranty so I sold it and went to a Remmington and had much better results. I might try one for birds but not for deer myself.

What does he shoot for a shotgun otherwise?
Had a great little 20ga with a short barrel that shot slugs into very small groups BUT I cut my teeth on a Winchester 1200 and could never get used to the differences in the actions. Finaly broke down and bought a slug barrel for the 1200 and sold the Mossberg to a neighbor who still uses it for deer every year and couldnt be happier with it.

I used to hunt with a Mossberg 500 and had trouble shooting a 7" group at 100 yds. I traded it in on a 12 Ga. H&R Ultra Slug setup and don't regret it one bit. My 12 Ga. H&R Ultra Slug shoots cloverleafs from a sandbagged benchrest at 100 yds all day long! As I understand it, the 20 Ga. version of the Ultra Slug has registered a considerable number of problems. It appears that H&R hired either an idiot or an I-dont-give-a-**** worker for their 20 ga. line (probably an Obama voter). I have three buddies who all own and use the 12 Ga. version of the H&R Ultra Slug and none would consider parting with their Ultra Slug guns. Just avoid the 20 Ga. version but the 12 Ga. version can't be beat.

I hunted with a mossberg 500 12ga for a lot of years, it did ok but never great with slugs.I Then moved on to the h&r ultra slug 12ga which shot real well but I got tired of the recoil of a 12ga.I now hunt with the h&r ultra slug 20ga and love it. Not to sure what problems oldbastard is talking about but i have had no issues with it.The mossberg 500 is a very good all around gun on the cheap side but if you are looking for great accuracy with slugs i would look for a dedicated slug gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts