Does anyone ever have your shotgun fitted to you?

JimFromTN

I was looking at the CZ Upland Ultralight with the 26 inch barrels. The length of pull is 14.5 inches which seems awful long. Just based on what I have read on how to measure your own length of pull, mine is around 13 inches. Do they expect people to use it with that length of pull or did they intentionally make it that long so it could be cut to a custom length? Not that this is an expensive OU but I was just curious if the more expensive OU's were custom fitted for the user.

I don't think fitting is as common as it should be, but it's definitely easier to cut the stock down than make it longer.

For me shotguns have always been about fit. I went to an outdoors show in PA with all the major manufacturers there. I must have shouldered close to 30 models in one day before I felt like I had zeroed in on one. The Franchi I got includes shims that goes between the stock and the action to adjust drop and cast. Once I figured out which shim fit me best I was hitting consistently and wasn't getting smacked in the face anymore.

In short, if everything other than the LOP fits you I'd get the gun and have it shortened. If the drop or cast aren't right, I'd keep shopping.

Most commercial sellers produce stocks to closely fit the most number of buyers. Thus, for most, they will shoot it as is, but for those of us who prefer to be better and more consistent shooters, we have them fit to our lengths and other. My trap and skeet stocks are adjustable with hunting stocks either adjustable or fitted properly.

I don't think fitting is as common as it should be, but it's definitely easier to cut the stock down than make it longer.

For me shotguns have always been about fit. I went to an outdoors show in PA with all the major manufacturers there. I must have shouldered close to 30 models in one day before I felt like I had zeroed in on one. The Franchi I got includes shims that goes between the stock and the action to adjust drop and cast. Once I figured out which shim fit me best I was hitting consistently and wasn't getting smacked in the face anymore.

In short, if everything other than the LOP fits you I'd get the gun and have it shortened. If the drop or cast aren't right, I'd keep shopping.
EXCELLENT advice!! If the gun fits you well you will shoot better, end of story. I've read of stock bending with heat and oil on an O/U. With a pump or auto fitting is relatively easy with shims and or recoil pad change for LOP.
A tool that everyone has is a drinking straw that can be taped temporarily to top of rib. Throw the gun up and close the off eye and see if all your seeing is front bead. It has been useful for most shooters I know.

I was looking at the CZ Upland Ultralight with the 26 inch barrels. The length of pull is 14.5 inches which seems awful long. Just based on what I have read on how to measure your own length of pull, mine is around 13 inches. Do they expect people to use it with that length of pull or did they intentionally make it that long so it could be cut to a custom length? Not that this is an expensive OU but I was just curious if the more expensive OU's were custom fitted for the user.
In short, take what you read about shotgun LOP with a grain of salt. Yes, it does matter - but more importantly "fit" may differ depending on whether it is used as a field gun/sporting gun or mounted competition gun. Does it shoot where you look? Is it easily and have repeatable mounting? Is it comfortable to shoot?
IMHO, you can make any gun "fit", but it still may not shoot where you look without doing something uncomfortable or simply being uncomfortable. You'll know it when you find it.

My old man was a wood worker and I remember him cutting down the stock on my first shotgun. Over the years he would drill and dowel a few more inches onto the stock as I grew. I'll have to ask him if he still has that old scatter gun. Dropped a lot of birds with that Franken-gun.

Just my Savage Renegauge which came with a box full of shims, recoil pads & some angled spacers. (What's funny is it fit me perfectly out of the box) Have an O/U that needs some adjusting though.🙄

Had a friend who cut his off twice & it's still too short!

🤣

LOP depends on the method used. I'm 5'7 in work boots. I use 15.25 lop. More importantly is the 5/16 of cant and the drop of the heel and toe so when I mount my head stays straight up the comb hits my cheek and goes boom. The fit should center your pattern on a pattern board with eyes closed once you line up. Where the pattern centers determines what needs to be done. The man that fitted Kimberly Rhodes was the man that fit me when I shot competitive. In a hunting gun that is light longer will help you shoot lower if you are shooting over your targets with upland birds or passing ducks

LOP for a shotgun is longer than for a rifle because you hold it differently. It also changes depending on the amount of clothes you have on. Good rule of thumb on an o/U is you want an inch of clearance between your nose and your thumb holding the gun. Shotgun fit is third behind form and having a consistent gun mount. Without these prerequisites you are wasting money on a gunfitter. You can tell a lot about how a gun fits at a pattern board. Set it 20 yards or closer with a fist sized spot to aim at. Use the tightest choke you have and light loads. Concentrate on the spot raise the gun and slap the trigger. Pay no attention to the bead. Do this several times. Should hit the same place consistently. If not you have an issue with form or gun mount. Fix that then you can adjust the stock to shoot where you are looking.

Another tip. If you simply cannot keep from looking at the Xmas tree ornament on the end of your barrel when doing this, wrap your thumb over the rib on your hand holding the forend and block your view of it.