Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?

Do you use a scope level to keep your rifle level?

• Yes, of course!

Votes: 887 49.7%
  • No, I don't shoot over 300 yards.

Votes: 162 9.1%
  • No, but I really should use one.

Votes: 737 41.3%

• Total voters
I like it especially since it folds away but, it also looks like you could check level w/o changing ckeek position. Thanks for responding.

my191145, sounds like you do alot of 1000 yard benchrest competiton. What ones have you been competing in and how'd you do?

No I have never shot benchrest. I shoot service rifle and long range steel targets with a bolt gun.

I am just a guy who practices sound marksmanship and can take my custom .260remington and hit anything I want out to about 1100yds, with or without wind.

Unknown Distace shooting is what I mostly do...in about 3-4 minutes I can quite easily rangefind 6 different (MOA) targets at various distances between say... 320 to 900yds using my (Leupold Mk4 M2), figure the dope for my calculated distance by using my written data book, read the wind and hold for each shot and achieve a first round hit. There is absolutely without a doubt no need for those dumb gizmo levels. I purposfully have canted my rifle at 900yds and still made the same hit I did a few seconds earlier when the rifle was not canted. Explain that?

-Troy

Last edited:
No I have never shot benchrest.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry I thought you had BR experience and had first hand knowledge/experience as a top competitor in BR and what it takes when you said the following:

a level is a gimic unless you shoot 1000yd benchrest; and even then it is kind of stupid and not at all needed if you simply focus on your reticle.

Again sorry for the misunderstanding I thought you statement was based on facts but, I stand corrected and now understand it's just your opinion. Thanks for sharing.

Got 3 for $11 each off of ebay. One in 11mm for the airgun for future field target, and 2 in weaver/picatinny for an AR and bolt. Wanna practice right.

No I have never shot benchrest.[/QUOTE]

Again sorry for the misunderstanding I thought you statement was based on facts but, I stand corrected and now understand it's just your opinion. Thanks for sharing.

Well it is a fact that when I noticed I was canting my rifle it did not result in miss at long range, not opinion but indeed fact. It is a fact that the levels have only recently shown up in catalogs and being advertised to new shooters, and only recently being used in competition. How have men shot very well for decades and decades, without them?

Here is where I eat crow....

I just today spoke with a friend I met recently. I have spoken with him a few times in the past about shooting and gunsmithing and I respect his opinion (John Whidden). He did tell me it will make me a better shooter by using a small level to ensure I am holding the rifle true. He mentioned that it did help him become a long range champion shooter. I really haven't had too much trouble hitting a 10-12" plate at 1000yds in under 12mph wind however some of my misses could probably be avoided with the use of a level he told me. So I will be buying a **** level, I hate it but I will buy one and then face all my friends who I previously told them I would laugh at them for getting one, geez just wait till I show up to shoot with one.... my reputation is done at that point...

-Troy

Last edited:
my191145, smart move, just tell your friends that in 1000 yard BR matches the difference between 1st and 2nd often comes down to a group that's 1/10" smaller....a level could have been the difference. Let them poke at ya, laugh along with them and don't give it a second thought.

:)
Here is where I eat crow....

I just today spoke with a friend I met recently. I have spoken with him a few times in the past about shooting and gunsmithing and I respect his opinion (John Whidden). He did tell me it will make me a better shooter by using a small level to ensure I am holding the rifle true. He mentioned that it did help him become a long range champion shooter. I really haven't had too much trouble hitting a 10-12" plate at 1000yds in under 12mph wind however some of my misses could probably be avoided with the use of a level he told me. So I will be buying a **** level, I hate it but I will buy one and then face all my friends who I previously told them I would laugh at them for getting one, geez just wait till I show up to shoot with one.... my reputation is done at that point...

-Troy

Troy,

Just tell them you did not want to make fun of them and the only way
you figured you'd be able to do it would be by putting one on you rifle! :)

I would think it would be interesting to do a poll on what levels are preferred for those of you that are using them and any pros and cons that go with them. For us guys that live in the sticks, you do not get to look at most products until the brown truck comes down the road. I don't currently use them but I think that I should be, just don't want to have a half dozen sitting in my reloading room because they weren't what I expected.

Eaglet, I was trying to read the name on yours. I have one monted to the barrel of my NF that was on my 375 AM but figured yours would work better since its higher off the barrel and rotates more with canting. Who makes it?

LR3

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts