DIY Scope mounting question?

BrowningBoy

I have a Nikon Monarch and the scope caps are level on the monarch, if i use the scope turrent caps as a guide for the level, would that work ok and how precise would it be.

should I use loctite for rings and bases, if so what kind

Thanks

I use the scope cap as level. It's the only option I can think of to mount the level.

I use blue Loctite on the base screws and nothing on the ring screws.

Most people use the turret caps to place their level for mounting, on most scopes that is the only option. I alsoo use the loctite on bases but not rings. You might as well get a lapping kit to lap those rings. I will never mount another scope without at least lightly lapping the rings. This helps ensure proper ring alignment for a stress free fit around that expensive scope, and if done correctly will completely eliminate ring marks on the scope.

I have a level mounted to my picitinny rail. I then take an edge of a garage or hang a plumb string about 50-100yds. away and level my vertical crosshair off of that. That way I know when my bubble is in the middle my crosshairs are good. Check out Darell Hollands article here on recticular perpendicularity. +1 on the Loctite for the bases and lapping the rings.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.