DIY Scope mounting question?

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by BrowningBoy, May 17, 2010.

1. BrowningBoy

BrowningBoy Member

I have a Nikon Monarch and the scope caps are level on the monarch, if i use the scope turrent caps as a guide for the level, would that work ok and how precise would it be.

should I use loctite for rings and bases, if so what kind

Thanks

2. I use the scope cap as level. It's the only option I can think of to mount the level.

I use blue Loctite on the base screws and nothing on the ring screws.

3. MSLRHunter

MSLRHunter Well-Known Member

Most people use the turret caps to place their level for mounting, on most scopes that is the only option. I alsoo use the loctite on bases but not rings. You might as well get a lapping kit to lap those rings. I will never mount another scope without at least lightly lapping the rings. This helps ensure proper ring alignment for a stress free fit around that expensive scope, and if done correctly will completely eliminate ring marks on the scope.

4. moombaskier

moombaskier Well-Known Member

I have a level mounted to my picitinny rail. I then take an edge of a garage or hang a plumb string about 50-100yds. away and level my vertical crosshair off of that. That way I know when my bubble is in the middle my crosshairs are good. Check out Darell Hollands article here on recticular perpendicularity. +1 on the Loctite for the bases and lapping the rings.