Scope mounting question

SouthTXBowhunter

I'm planning to move my Nightforce 3.5-15x56 NXS onto a Remmy 700 Sendero in 300 win mag and I'm unsure whether I should install a rail (20moa) on the rifle or if I should get direct (action) mounting bases? Is there an advantage to one method over another?

What would you suggest?

Thanks for any help!

The rail will give you more travel for long shots but more weight over something like the talley lightweights. I prefer the talley's but on one of my savage rifles I only had 11 moa left using them so I went with a 20 moa rail to get over 30 moa. It may be a hassle but you could mount the scope and sight it in with standard mounts then see how much travel you have left. If you have enough for your purpose then you could leave it alone, if not install the rail. One good thing about the rail is once you are mounted and level you can move scope from one rifle to another rather easily and quickly.
my .02, gary

Having used both systems, I agree that you can save some weight by using a lightweight ring and base system.

With that said, I prefer a rail and ring system. It leaves you with more options if you decide to change your setup later on. A larger or smaller diameter scope only needs a new set of rings. If you change the rail to 0 MOA, you can use the same set of rings.

AND, I think a rail and a set of tactical rings just looks cool! gun)

Thanks for the input fellas. I think I may try installing a 0 MOA rail first and just putting the scope (as it currently sits in the Larue LT-104 mount) on the rifle, and see how I like it. I know it's going to be a heavy setup but it's a quick solution. Besides, there's NO "light" setup with that scope! LOL! The LT-104 has 20 MOA built into it already. This way, I can put it back on the AR easily, if I want to, and I'll have a detachable scope - making storage a little easier.

Thanks y'all!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.