Scope mounting question

Rohrk

I installed an new Nikon Monarch 5-20 on my new Remington 700 classic in .338 win mag using Leupold rings and two piece bases. I zeroed +3.0 @ 100 yards.

Issue: My elevation setting on the scope is on 4 or 240 clicks with this zero. One would think there would be a way of adjusting the elevation setting to zero once you are sighted in? Is it standard practice to just use the 4.0 for my zero?

Any input would be appreciated.
Kevin

It says that after the reticle has been adjusted to the point of impact, hold the grip with your fingers to avoid shifting the alignment grip and then turn the screw in the top of the grip COUNTERCLOCKWISE with a coin. Then lift the grip UP and align the (appears to be a black triangle) with the INDEX MARK.

It may happen that the (appears to be a black triangle ) cannot align with the index mark because of the coupling pitch on that shaft.

And by securing that grip with your fingers to avoid shifting the grip...screw CLOCKWISE with the coin until the grip is firmly secured.

Yes, this allowed me to set the turret zero mark on the indexing mark for the scope but is seems I am stuck leaving my elivation zero set at four turns. I ran into another guy at the range with the same scope, his zero for elivation is also at four turns.

I don't get it, seems I should be able to sero a new scope on zero without shims or something.

Thanks much for your time.

So lets clarify what you are saying: Did you dial the scope up or down 4 turns to zero ? What is the value of 1 rotation ? Usually it is 12 minutes but I think on your scope 1 click is 1/8 min. Your scope only has 34MIN of total elevation travel, so not much at all.

Did you mount this scope on a 20Minute rail ? If so, you would be lucky if you were able to zero at all, theoretically doing that would be impossible. According to the specs you only have +17 and -17 minutes total travel.

Regardless, it should not have required so much elevation to zero anyway. Are you SURE you have the right bases for your rifle ? You are SURE that your bases have no cant built into them ?

Tell us the leupold part numbers for your bases so we can help you.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts