Scope Mounting Question

Hikinghunter

Troubleshooting. Took my rail off and found it lots of bore cleaner underneath. Guess it migrated up through the screw holes. Will putting thread locker on the screws prevent this? If not, any other ways to keep it from happening? Doesn't seem ideal.
IMG_1471.jpeg

Lock-tite 545 will seal the threads as that is what it is designed to do, but it's not really a thread locker. Has a thread locking function about equal to the lightest blue compound, and likely a little less than that.

As long as that fluid isn't causing/allowing the screws to loosen and isn't getting into other areas in the action where it might be a problem I'm not sure that I'd worry about it.

Maybe from a spay on or heavy oiling on the external parts?

By the way, which end of the rail is most of the oil…chamber or bolt?
I'm sure it's coming from the chamber. I use wipe-out, and have let it foam into the chamber a few times. Didn't know it would migrate up through the screw holes. I only see it on the chamber end.

It's not holding zero, hence the troubleshooting.

I see that often when mounting new scopes on customers guns. Not usually bore cleaner but spray on oils. If it's oil it is no problem, but if was ( is) bore cleaner....could cause pitting over time. I lock-tite my bases , not just the screws and you don't see it anymore. Word of caution before using J.B. or lock-tite or any bonding compound on your Bases....How many of you put a LEVEL on Your Base first on flat surface...not too many I'm guessing.....check them....hard lesson I learned....and expensive too!

I see that often when mounting new scopes on customers guns. Not usually bore cleaner but spray on oils. If it's oil it is no problem, but if was ( is) bore cleaner....could cause pitting over time. I lock-tite my bases , not just the screws and you don't see it anymore. Word of caution before using J.B. or lock-tite or any bonding compound on your Bases....How many of you put a LEVEL on Your Base first on flat surface...not too many I'm guessing.....check them....hard lesson I learned....and expensive too!
Wouldn't putting on loctite then torqing down the screws put the base at level anyway? (incrementally, like a sane person, not cranking one screw down to full torque while the others are loose) I don't like the idea of the base actually bearing loctite. I just want to fill up the gaps so crud doesn't get in there.

Most use lok tite.... many like me use j b or similar... easy to get off with iron....
Lap rings....
Use rings w/o bases...like talley.... newer ones are proved in the middle...