Did some shooting yesterday

remingtonman_25_06

Yesterday I spent the majority of the day cleaning my 7 RM barrel and loading up some new loads and going and testing them out. I also got my rifle back from my smith complete with a Holland muzzle brake. I am going elk hunting Nov 4th, so I'm kinda in a hurry to get a new load figured out and the drop chart. Anyways, I am using 175g SGK's under RL-22. I loaded up 3 loads the night before using 61, 62, 63g. 61g shot the best by far. As I went up in charge weight, groups opened up. So I figured I would work around 61 as that gave me a 1" group at 100 yards. Soo, back to the bench. I loaded up 3 more laods, this time 60.4g, 60.7g, and again 61g. The 60.4g shot the best with 4 shots going into .4", and the 5th opened it up. I dont normally do 5 shot groups, I just had 5 of that load, loaded up for 2 barrel foulers. Anyways, the 60.7 and 61g load sucked. From 60.4g, to 60.7g was a big difference. So I think I might try the low end of 60g and hope to be in the middle of the sweet spot, that way if I"m either high or low a tad, I'll still be in there. Velocity is a slow 2800fps, but I was kinda expecting that. I also had about 5 other loads to shoot that I already knew were contenders. I tried 162g amax with 61g RL-22 and it shot a nice .4" cluster at 2875fps. Once again, quite slow, but expected with Rl-22. Seems to shoot accurately at the lower end of the scale /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif So that led me to try 162g amax w/Retumbo. I went 71.5g and 73g. 71.5g shot a .9" group and was going 3075fps. 73g shot a .8" group and was going 3175fps. That load seems a little hot maybe??? Its 300fps faster then the Rl-22 load. I also tried one of my 140g btip loads consisting of 68.5g RL-22. It shot .6", first 2 touching, and at 3250fps. Also tried my 168g Berger VLD load and it shot .9", first two touching at 3000fps. I can say I'm pretty happy with the brakes performance. It dont kick at all, especially since I"m firing off a lead sled as well. I can pretty much see my own impacts at 14x if the range is over 400 yards or so. Not to bad, definately got rid of the muzzle flip, which I hate. I have the target with all the groups shot on it from yesterday, but the camera's out at my parents house. I'm going to go load up some more and test out 400 yards today, so more testing to come.

By the way thanks for your encouragement with my new 25 06. I have'nt given up on it yet. My groups tightened up a bit when I got away from the ballistic tips. But I'm stil working on it.
I'm also heading East on the 4th. I will take my 300 win mag. Using 168 VLD's. Which I love in this gun.
Well not much help, but thanks again.
Good luck with your elk.
Tim G.

Tim- So what bullet are you playing with at the moment?? Also what powder?? I cant believe your 25 is not shooting btips. I might try some Sierras, if you haven't. Nosler and Sierra 9 out of 10 times produce the most accurate hunting bullets, especially btips and gamekings. If your rifle dont shoot either of those types of bullets, I'd bet somethings wrong with your rifle. But, my older rem 270 would not shoot btips either. Thats the first rifle I've had that wouldn't shoot btips. I thought something was wrong with it. So I tried 140g and 150g sierra gamekings, and wah lah, .5" groups, and hitting a 15" steel plate very consistently at 800 yards. Just gotta play around a little. What are you going hunting for?? Those 168g VLD's should do a number on any deer, dont know if I personally would use them on elk, but thats not to say they wont work.

Remington 25 06, After trying the Nosler BT 115 and the 100's w/IMR 4350, RL 22 & 25 the lighter bullets got even bigger groups. I bought factory 120 gr. hollow points and I tightened up my group, but not as good as I want. I've ordered some 115 Berger VLDs and I'll work on it after elk season.
I leave Tue. for the Northside unit. and I do use the 168 bergers. They haven't let me down. My 300 loves them for long range stuff. Good luck. Let me know how you do.
Tim G.

Hey Rem_25-06,
Watching your progression of the 7 RM. I have been working up a 9 1/2 twist 29" 7WSM this summer and although not exactly the same case, things look similar.

I found 70gr H1000 at 3060 is where this one likes to run the 162 Amaxes and 67.5 H1000 at 2930 with the 175SMK.

I had mixed results with the 180 Bergers similar to you with two in the same hole and one out at the lower charges. They topped out at a sticky bolt 2960 just as the groups were starting to shrink with 68gr H1000. They shot fair with 68 grains Retumbo at 2880 but opened if I went any higher.

Overall in this case Retumbo was giving me mid 20s ES and the H1000 single digit.

It looks like your RL22-162Amax load is a little light as to why it was so much slower than the Retumbo?? Your loads of 60.4 with the 175's and 68.5 with the 140's would in theory put you around 64 with the 162's? Just an observation, didn't see where you had gone higher than the 61.

Anyhow good luck in finding the magical combination. Enjoy reading about somebody else with the LR disease. Fun ain't it!

For the 25-06 load. I wouldn't give up on the Btips until I tried some H4831sc behind them!

tim g how did the 115 Bergers do in your rifle, I just sold my 25, but never really had much luck with the bergers in it. I have a buddy who shoots the 115 bergers and gets along great, if you don't mind sharing info I would like to know what your load was for the vld's.

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.