deer antelope caliber

liltank, do the JLK bullets do anything like the Bergers on game?

I can only assume so. I have not personally used this bullet. I suggested because of having the highest BC in a production bullet. Sounds like they are difficult bullet to get a hold of though. There are some custom bullet makers out there that can make a heavier higher BC bullet for the 25's. Other guys that have commented on using other calibers in the JLK have had good success with their bullets. I wouldn't hesitate to use them. You should probably limit yourself to 300yrds and over for the JLK. I would use a heavier constructed bullet from 0-300yrds so you don't get a grenade effect.

Tank

For deer and antelope at long range I'd prefer the 6.5 to the 6mm.

If a long barrel & heavier gun wouldn't bother you I'd look at the 264 win mag.

If I was looking for something lighter with a 24" barrel I'd go with the 6.5-06 or 6.5-06 AI.

If you want something different a 6.5WSM would probably be the perfect choice, shorter stiffer action & the speed of a magnum. From the performance of the other WSM's it would probably do well in a 24" barrel also.

Either way you get excellent BC & wind resistance with good velocity.

The 6.5 WSM seems to be a reasonably popular way to go, the RUM based 6.5 sounds like minimal gain for the price you pay in powder burnt and barrel life. I would go with the 6.5 WSM and neck down some Norma 270 WSM brass!!

If you are going to build a custom rifle for deer/antelope and want a smaller caliber then the cartridges I have used are:

240 Wby with 30 inch 1-8 twist barrel and 115 gr Bergers at about 3250 fps. You can match that with a 6-284, 6-06 or a 240 Gibbs etc so the exact flavor is up to you. The combination is easily capable to ranges beyond 1000 yards for antelope. I have not shot any of the eastern whitetails with it beyond 300 to 400 yards because of terrain limitations not because of cartridge limitations.

I shoot a 257 Wby with a 28 inch 1-8 twist barrel and it stabilizes both the 130 gr and the 142 gr Wildcat HP RBBT bullets. Accuracy is excellent. It will easily take elk out to the range you want to kill antelope. It is also capable of antelope beyond 1000 yards. You should contact Paul to see when he is going to make some bullets before you build the rifle and preorder enough for the rifle - maybe 500 - 800 bullets. I prefer the 130 grain bullets with the Wby case capacity.

Product Display

4-D Products Rentals

If it's between the WSM and the RUM I'd say go with the WSM hands down. The RUM is a barrel burner in 7mm and I can only imagine it would get worse going further down. Also, unless you had a barrel over 30" I don't see how a case to capacity would get close to burning all the powder. I have yet to verify this for sure but I've heard a lot that a round is more consistent when it is closest to capacity. Makes sense to me as at capacity you have a solid block of propellant but if it's half full you have variable air voids.
However, I don't have any hard evidence that the WSM could be run to capacity out of a barrel under 30". It's just my intuition that it would be at least closer to capacity than the RUM.

Mostly I am just extremely interested in the 6.5 WSM and would love to live vicariously through your build!:)

Some other food for thought.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/6-5wsm-vs-270wsm-48504/

6.5 Wsm - Shooters Forum

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/6-5wsm-48304/index2.html

I've got a 6.5 WSM and love it. Basically duplicates the 264 WM in a short action. Having said that, the 257 Wby out to work well also. Serious point blank range with 100-110 gr bullets. Just depends on how you want to approach it. Lighter bullet at higher velocity or heavier bullet with superior BC at a little lower velocity. I wouldn't bother with the 6.5 RUM for 600 yards and in. Like others have said, it would be a real throat burner.

Well I have been running and running the numbers and the 6.5 rum is a waste of time to 600 may just use the 7mm. But to a 1000 the 6.5 would be sweet. To throw another one into the mix I might build two. 6.5 Rum and a 243 WSSM in a AR15 platform.

Well I have been running and running the numbers and the 6.5 rum is a waste of time to 600 may just use the 7mm. But to a 1000 the 6.5 would be sweet. To throw another one into the mix I might build two. 6.5 Rum and a 243 WSSM in a AR15 platform.

Check out the 6mm 40 Turbo in the AR, when I get a chance to build an AR for coyotes it's what I'm doing!! 6mm Turbo 40 Ackley AR-15 Review
I've seen several people say the the 6.5 STW is about the top end for the 6.5's while still getting some barrel life to enjoy laser like shooting.

I am currently building an Antelope only rifle and I chose the 6.5x47 Lapua. And here is a few reasons why. 1. Case is a shortened .308 Win case so I will not have seating depth issues with VLD bullets in short action magazine. .125" freebore specifically for the Berger 130. 2. Extremely efficient so I won't have to use a flag pole length barrel to get good velocities. 3. Cartridge designed for 300-600 meter competition but can be shot farther. 4. Barrel life will keep me shooting for years to come. I shoot alot and I won't need to worry about burning out the barrel. I could go on and on but this is just a few reasons why I picked the Lapua. Let us know what you decide and why.

Looking for another new gun to build. Trying to have 3 guns that will cover all game. Well I have way more than 3 already but wanting 3 custom rigs. Well I just got a 338 edge. I have a smoken tack driving .223. Edge I havent shot yet. That leaves me with nothing in between my other factory rifles consist of 30-06's and 308's, 8mm rem mag. I do have a 6.5x284 that I haven't shot yet. Its a rechambered jap arisca. Anyways I was thinking of some thing in the 6mm fam, or 6.5. Just looking for a 600 yard rifle, maybe further. Calibers I am thinking about are 243 rock chucker 6x47 and I thought about necking down a 7mm RUM to 6.5 and shooting 140 grainers. I have a barreled 8mm Rem Mag action waiting for a project. Any other options guys

How do you know it's tack-driving .223 if you haven't shot it yet? I recommend shooting the rifles you already have before looking for more, but maybe I'm a little too practical. I just got a .280AI in hopes that I will fall in love with it and use it for all future deer, antelope and maybe even elk cartridge. I did this with much deliberation over what I really needed to get the job done without overkill. I hope that I am right.

How do you know it's tack-driving .223 if you haven't shot it yet? I recommend shooting the rifles you already have before looking for more, but maybe I'm a little too practical. I just got a .280AI in hopes that I will fall in love with it and use it for all future deer, antelope and maybe even elk cartridge. I did this with much deliberation over what I really needed to get the job done without overkill. I hope that I am right.

If you reread the post it says (edge I haven't shot yet). But that is right after the 223 part. The 223 shot 3 shot group at 200 that measured .4 something outside to outside. I haven't shot the 6.5x284 yet, but I wouldn't trust this gun yet. Old jap arisca, kind of a neat gun but have to see how she shoots. Maybe a back up rig. The more I think about this subject the more I really start to think, how far am I really going to shoot? A lot of the choises are pretty close at 600 but at 1000 some shine better. I like the idea of a laser round even with shorter barrel life. It helps you negotiate the wind better and also drop.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.