Wyoming Antelope and Mule Deer

6mm06

I am new to the forums and just trying to get acquainted, so I thought I would post a link to a video of our Wyoming hunt in 2010.

The first antelope shot on camera was taken at 360 yards with a .300 Rem. Ultra Mag and 168 gr. Barnes TSX. The mule deer was taken with a Remington Sendero 7mm STW at 138 yards, not a long range at all. Both of these kills are a good representation of what we have seen with the Barnes TSX bullets. The next antelope was taken with a .257 Arnold Mag. (264 Win Mag necked down to 25 caliber) and a 100 gr. Sierra SP.

While my son and I generally prefer larger calibers, I am fully aware that they are much more than needed for antelope. I've taken about as many antelope with a 25-06 as anything else. I just like the way the heavier calibers put them on the ground.

The Barnes TSX has really impressed us. One shot drop kills is the norm. We only had two walk / run about 25 yards out of about 10 kills. All others hit the dirt instantly.

I love the 7mm STW cartridge. Does anyone else have experience with that round?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-IBMIyUpvk"]Wyoming 2010 - Vance Video Productions - Mule Deer and Antelope Hunt - YouTube[/ame]

Regards to all.

I am new to the forums and just trying to get acquainted, so I thought I would post a link to a video of our Wyoming hunt in 2010.

The first antelope shot on camera was taken at 360 yards with a .300 Rem. Ultra Mag and 168 gr. Barnes TSX. The mule deer was taken with a Remington Sendero 7mm STW at 138 yards, not a long range at all. Both of these kills are a good representation of what we have seen with the Barnes TSX bullets. The next antelope was taken with a .257 Arnold Mag. (264 Win Mag necked down to 25 caliber) and a 100 gr. Sierra SP.

While my son and I generally prefer larger calibers, I am fully aware that they are much more than needed for antelope. I've taken about as many antelope with a 25-06 as anything else. I just like the way the heavier calibers put them on the ground.

The Barnes TSX has really impressed us. One shot drop kills is the norm. We only had two walk / run about 25 yards out of about 10 kills. All others hit the dirt instantly.

I love the 7mm STW cartridge. Does anyone else have experience with that round?

Wyoming 2010 - Vance Video Productions - Mule Deer and Antelope Hunt - YouTube

Regards to all.
Enjoyed the video.

As for the STW, I've been shooting one and having a love affair with it since about 1990.

As for the bullet, with shot placement that good it doesn't matter much what pill you are sending down rage at those distances.

Nice shooting.

Welcome.

Guys, I appreciate the good welcome and hope to really enjoy these forums. Also glad you enjoyed the video clip.

Here is my last "western" video, 2011. The antelope was taken with the 7mm STW and 140 TSX at about 185 yards. It hit the ground so fast is bounced. The coyote shooting was done in New Mexico with Tony Tebbe, and the missed one running was in Arizona with Brian Brooks and Randy Beecroft. We had a great hunt covering three states.

Nice to meet everyone, and thanks for the info about the STW. Don't know why this is posting two video clips.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw my dad shoot an antelope when I was a kid with a .378 Weatherby mag. I was facing it, my dad was 90 degrees from me and shot it brood side. I kid you not I saw the skin stretch out like a tent on the bullets exit about 2 feet. Would have made an excellent slow mo video. It was only a flash, kinda thing that makes you ask "Did I just see what I thought I seen?"

My dad had magnumitis, the smallest he ever used was a 7mm mag. I shot a .243 when I was a kid and still do. Most of the time it puts them down like the hammer of God. One day I might use something bigger but antelopes are such tasty animals I wouldn't want to waste even 1 fork full.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts