Best place to hunt for Mule Deer & Antelope?

G

I'm in the process of putting a 2006 hunt together for my Dad 70, my 25 year old son, and myself 50; for Mule Deer & Antelope. I'd prefer Texas to avoid out of state license fees, but sometimes quality can outweigh the fees. Where would you suggest I look for this hunt??? Thanks...

Cap Rock outfitters in Pampa TX. They have hunts all over outside of Amarillo. Tell Wayne you want to go to the JA Ranch down by Clarendon. It's all free range with big mulies and Auodad sheep. They do antelope and wild hogs also. They are a good bunch of guys.

I'd say your best bet would be Wyoming. Montana offers overlapping seasons but it's not during prime time for either animal. New Mexico may also be another option. However, I thought you asked what the "best" place was...I don't think NM deer hunting overall would qualify it as all that great.

MIDMOBOY,
Thanks for the information. I'll contact Wayne and see what he has to offer in the area you mentioned!

Big Sky,
I appreciate your input as well. Although I've hunted for 40+ years, I've never hunted Mulies or Antelope, and appreciate any good experiences you've had in the past.

[ QUOTE ]
Montana offers overlapping seasons but it's not during prime time for either animal

[/ QUOTE ]
Doesn't need to be prime time - both species are ez to get in Montana. Elk and bear are more work.
I think there are plenty of deer in Texas - ask George - he might know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here's the deal with Montana. The best time to hunt mule deer if'n you want one worth taking a photo of, is during the rut. That is basically the last two weeks of November. If you want an antelope worth taking the best time is the first two weeks of the season which occurs during the middle of October. If you wait until the end of the antelope season to kill a buck (beginning of November) you run an extremely high risk that many of the bucks will have shed their horns. This happened to some out of state friends of mine this year. I begged them not to come out that last part of the season but they insisted that they wanted to combine deer and lopes. The ended up just looking for any antelope with horns let alone a trophy. The latter part of the season is no time to be picky. Granted the deer season is open during that time, but there is no rut going, deer are generally spread out all over the place, and the it's very likely the temperatures could be very hot. If you are serious about a decent mule deer it is a lousy time to hunt compared to the last two weeks of November. I agree with b1g b0re that elk and bear are tougher to get, but that's not the subject of this thread. I also agree to kill just any antelope or mule deer is relatively ez as he put it. However, to kill a mature mule deer or antelope isn't exactly a cake walk and requires a lot more effort. If you hunt during the times I suggested it will definitely stack the odds in your favor.

Guys,
Thanks for your replies.... Apparently I need to do some speed reading on both species, and probably plan 2 separate hunts. Any more advice is appreciated...

One last thing. If you are going to apply for Montana this year the due date for deer applications is only a few weeks away. I believe the deadline is right around March 15th. Antelope aren't due until June 1st and the applications for them aren't out yet as far as I know. Yes, two seperate trips would up your odds of taking mature animals. Granted a guy could get lucky and kill good bucks in less than prime hunting conditions, but why do that when you can stack the odds in your favor.

Here is some eye candy for you from this year's hunts. I pretty much kill bucks like this every year. Some folks may kill bigger, but most folks I know would be happy with these on a yearly basis.
AntelopeTroy2.jpg

MuledrTroy.jpg

Big Sky,
Awesome pics! I don't know about everyone else, but I'd be tickled with some of those!!!! Good Shootin'

I went to Wyoming for a Mulie & Antelope combo hunt last year. Had a great time. Got a terrific Antelope and Deer.
Went the first week of October. We were just outside of Casper with Cole Creek Outfitters. Great Antelope and a good mulie will be around the 150 class. My gunsmith lives there and he turned me on to this place. It was my first western hunt so a 150 deer seemed great to me....and if you've never shot a mulie it is a nice head. He told me of another place in the area called Q Creek. It was $1000 more for the mulie hunt but he said the heads are real nice, about 170's. Next hunt I probable go with the Q since I've already got one under my belt.

As far as the Antelope go, 80% of the Antelope population live within a 300 mile radius of Casper, WY. Plenty of trophy animals. We drove from Denver to Casper and saw tons of Antelope along the way. (The 300 mile radius is what the guide and others in the area told me, based on what I've seen I have NO reason to doubt them.)

If you've never been out west hunting be careful....you won't want to come home!

Big Sky,

Don't hold out I want to here the particulars on those kills. Very curious About those 3 lopes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I agree. Anybody that has pics that good, has got to have a great story to go with em!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts