deer antelope caliber

midwesthunter

Looking for another new gun to build. Trying to have 3 guns that will cover all game. Well I have way more than 3 already but wanting 3 custom rigs. Well I just got a 338 edge. I have a smoken tack driving .223. Edge I havent shot yet. That leaves me with nothing in between my other factory rifles consist of 30-06's and 308's, 8mm rem mag. I do have a 6.5x284 that I haven't shot yet. Its a rechambered jap arisca. Anyways I was thinking of some thing in the 6mm fam, or 6.5. Just looking for a 600 yard rifle, maybe further. Calibers I am thinking about are 243 rock chucker 6x47 and I thought about necking down a 7mm RUM to 6.5 and shooting 140 grainers. I have a barreled 8mm Rem Mag action waiting for a project. Any other options guys

6.5x47 would get my vote. Small rifle primers are everywhere and you won't give up much to the 260Rem. It is a very accurate caliber and with the 123grn bullet or 140grn. you will shoot as far as you need to take game.

My first thoughts though before I read what calibers you were looking for were the 270 or 25-06 category. Just a thought. Both smoking calibers and perfect for deer/antelope to 600yrds+.

Tank

6.5x47 would get my vote. Small rifle primers are everywhere and you won't give up much to the 260Rem. It is a very accurate caliber and with the 123grn bullet or 140grn. you will shoot as far as you need to take game.

My first thoughts though before I read what calibers you were looking for were the 270 or 25-06 category. Just a thought. Both smoking calibers and perfect for deer/antelope to 600yrds+.

Tank

I thought about the 25-06 or 25-06AI but like the better bullet choices of the the6mm 6.5mm family.

how about a 6.5 WSM? I've been very interested in what I've read about them. Seems that it would be perfect for deer and antelope with 140 grain pills and the cool factor would be up there as well:).

I thought about the 25-06 or 25-06AI but like the better bullet choices of the the6mm 6.5mm family.

JLK makes a .500BC 108 grain VLD in .257cal. As fast as you could push that with a standard or AI 25-06, you are going to negate the wind factor (unless it is up to 15+mph) to 600yrds.

Just checked with JBM. Max point blank range is 389 with a 270 and some change zero. Your comeupit's is around 7.3 MOA with a muzzle velocity of 3300fps in an Ackley Improved 25-06. You only push 3.3MOA with a 10mph 90deg angle wind at that range. Just some food for thought. I found loads much faster and they were with 115's and not 108's. So I am guessing you could push that thing pretty hard. Closer to 3500 or 3600 fps. Check out Reloadersnest.com. You can look at practically any caliber you desire and find loads for it.

Tank

A 270 WSM will knock a deer or antelope on it's nose in the 600yrd range, actually may be a little over kill :D

+1 with Bigngreen. 270wsm would be my first choice hands down and fits the bill exactly to a ''T'' for what your looking for. Plus it can be used on critters as big as elk if you want, and as small as coyotes if you want. IMO the perfect ''go-between'' from your 223 to your 338.

Looking for another new gun to build. Trying to have 3 guns that will cover all game. Well I have way more than 3 already but wanting 3 custom rigs. Well I just got a 338 edge. I have a smoken tack driving .223. Edge I havent shot yet. That leaves me with nothing in between my other factory rifles consist of 30-06's and 308's, 8mm rem mag. I do have a 6.5x284 that I haven't shot yet. Its a rechambered jap arisca. Anyways I was thinking of some thing in the 6mm fam, or 6.5. Just looking for a 600 yard rifle, maybe further. Calibers I am thinking about are 243 rock chucker 6x47 and I thought about necking down a 7mm RUM to 6.5 and shooting 140 grainers. I have a barreled 8mm Rem Mag action waiting for a project. Any other options guys

I can only wish that I have your dilemma. :rolleyes:

I agree with Biggreen and winmag. 270 WSM is perfect for your parameters, next up would be the .280 Rem. The thought of a custom 6.5 WSM is pretty cool too, but I would go with the 270.

JLK makes a .500BC 108 grain VLD in .257cal. As fast as you could push that with a standard or AI 25-06, you are going to negate the wind factor (unless it is up to 15+mph) to 600yrds.

Tank

Good luck ever getting those bullets. I ordered some in Feb. and had to cancel my order last week because he could not tell me when he would be able to fill my order. He said that he cant see making .257 bullets in the near future because of the demand for 6mm and 7mm.

Anyway i vote for the 243 Super Rockchucker. With a 1-8 twist. I have one in a 1-10 but wish it was a 1-8. Shoots superbly out to 800 yards plus you can get 25-06 brass anywhere to neck down. I am only able to shoot the 90-95 grain bullets because of twist rate but can get over 3500fps with the 95 bergers. Dropped a big doe last year at 300 yards with one well placed 95 berger.

Just checked with JBM. Max point blank range is 389 with a 270 and some change zero. Your comeupit's is around 7.3 MOA with a muzzle velocity of 3300fps in an Ackley Improved 25-06. You only push 3.3MOA with a 10mph 90deg angle wind at that range. Just some food for thought. I found loads much faster and they were with 115's and not 108's. So I am guessing you could push that thing pretty hard. Closer to 3500 or 3600 fps. Check out Reloadersnest.com. You can look at practically any caliber you desire and find loads for it.

Tank

I have a Sendero 25-06AI that has slayed alot of Antelope. I is a good choice out to 600 at least. A 6.5-06AI would do better over 600 due to bullets, but it has done very well.

liltank, do the JLK bullets do anything like the Bergers on game?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.