Custom rifle for someone paralyzed

Thanks guys, I talked to David a while back and had asked him about a system that I had found on the internet and he told me basically "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Seems he has gotten his wife to go out and do the set up with him in a couple blinds he can access and when I talked to her, she seemed to enjoy it. Only thing is that apparently where they live, last winter she about froze her tail off from the wind coming down from Missouri and she told me she was going to upgrade her winter clothing this year....LOL

Also, just found out from my brother that somehow (?) they extracted sperm from David and artificially inseminated so there is going to be a little David or Sharon or whatever in about 7 months....Love it! He'll be a great dad!

Thanks for the follow-up and I guess no one needs this thing so will put it back on the shelf for now! Have checked both sites and will forward the info to David.

Thanks again,

Packrat aka Bruce

Pack Rat The system you showed in the pictures is set up semular to one of our H.E. Instructor had on his wheel chair. When I seen him shooting from it he was skeet shooting. I believe the Tripod System you show would be better for rifle shooting, would be better because it would bypass motion of the wheel chair. Great idea.

Seems to work, especially after David had the legs bent down so it could be anchored into the ground by stepping on the foot pads. I just wish someone needed it. Oh well, maybe later someone will. so will just hang on to it for now.

What I liked about it is with the vertical adjustment wheel it can be set to the individual shooters height, and David swung it across horizontally on his second hog and was leading it slightly. Dropped it while it was still moving. Never saw a grin so big. It really made all of our day's.

Thanks for the response.

Packrat

I'm paralyzed from sternum down (T5 compete) from a similar motorcycle accident.

I was mostly a bowhunter until I was paralyzed. Since it's harder to get close to critters, I got into long range hunting. It somewhat leveled the playing field for me.

The two things I do that really help:

1. I shortened all my stocks to 13.25" LOP since it's harder for us to really shoulder the gun.

2. I had a fabricator build a few collapsible tables to put inside blinds. Since we don't have use of abdominal muscles, it's hard for us to get steady on tripods. Getting a good rear rest is invaluable.

The local gun store shipped the rifle the other day. It is most probably at your store by now.

There is no charge from this end. The guys on this end are decent fellas.

However, the guy on your end is a dink!

Also, you will notice that there are double dovetail bases on it. This'll prevent the bad experiences I had with other less robust mounts.

Good on you Roy,that's a wonderful thing you have done.Hope the rifle works out for the Op.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.