Custom rifle for someone paralyzed

USMC-0311-SemperFi

After 6 yrs in the Corps 2yrs with 1/4 , followed by 4 with 3rd recons FRP my first gun I obviously purchased was an AR15. But even that has its limitations when it comes to long-distance shooting. So I am now looking for something to really test myself and push my limits well beyond 5-600 meters. I came across JAE and really like the tactical look their stocks have, and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on this stocks as well as the rest of the rifle? I'm not looking to have the most expensive rifle however I am willing to spend a good deal. At the same time I prefer quality not quantity, I'd rather have a single long distance rifle that that has top of the line pieces, rather than 3,4 or 5 off the shelf rifles so higher end parts stocks, barrels, bolts, optics, fairly light weight, etc. I'm not trying to say that off the wall rifles aren't good guns, I am paralyzed from my chest down so I would just prefer something that is more custom made for my shooting situation. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Need a bit better description of what you need.

"I would just prefer something that is more custom made for my shooting situation." isn't fully understood.

If I may ask, what caused your situation?

And thanks a ton for you service........

Welcome to LRH. There are a ton of folks here that will be happy to go out of their way to assist you with what you are looking to accomplish with regards to a hunting rifle. Sometimes this is more conveniently accomplished in person than over the internet however, this site is a great place for information. Perhaps if you share your general location someone my offer the time to visit and assist with what you are looking for in a rifle to accommodate your requirements.

Again, welcome to LRH, thanks for your service, and best of luck on your quest for a new hunting rifle.

Welcome to LRH.
I shoot tactical competition. I built a tactical rifle last year, using a McMillan stock for the foundation. The McMillan stock is quite nice and I'm not sorry I made that purchase. However, if I had been acquainted with the JAE previously, I'd have chosen that instead.
When I compare the features of both stocks, including options, and look at the cost difference I believe the JAE would have been a better choice. It'll be the stock of choice for my next build.

Thanks for posting a reply, as for my injury I was riding my motorcycle on to base for morning formation when I got side swiped buy a U haul truck and was knocked into a 90 foot ravine. I live in Missouri, in St Charles County. It about 45 min northwest of St. Louis. I also have property in Warren County, 10 min east of Warrenton exit193(hwy47) towards hawk point / bowling green. As for "custom" I was referring to JAE's remington700 stock that has an option where you can have a piece that connects to a monopod which they consider a "customized" stock that I need because I can't hold the rifle straight out and also needs to have iPods for shooting of a table or bench because with my chair often times I cant get my legs under tables. Also, a barrel that is a little lighter but won't sacrifice distance or accuracy, as well as a good long distance scope that is a little lighter, basically anything to cut weight even a half pound here and there for me makes a huge difference for me. If there is anything anyone knows about that would make shooting for someone in a wheelchair easier would be a great help! Thank you to those of you guys that have replied!

A tube gun stock like Mak or CCS
Got X Ring | Got X Ring? Competition Machine, Inc.
Products
XLR Industries | pricing
Might be better suited due to the flexibility of mounting rails in different positions to accommodate your situation more easily. Not to mention your familiarity with the ar platform's ergonomics.
The rest of it action barrel caliber and glass will depend on budget parameters.
Peirce and Borden both make tube chassis specific actions. There are round washer lugs also available for the 700 remington/clones as well.

Thanks, I will check those out.

Tell ya what I'll do.....

I have a Remmy 700 338 RUM with a Holland QD Brake.

With 101.5 Gr 50 BMG she pushes the 300 Berger OTM family of bullets into bug holes @ 2735 FPS MV.

Sub 0.5MOA on a regular basis if the driver does his part. I and others have shot her to 1177 busting rocks.

Harvested one cow elk with here. At short range.....:rolleyes:

It has a black tupperware stock and is certainly light.

Can shot it prone all day with no after affects.

She has a solid follower glued in. Thus she's a single shot.

So a Navy dude and say he did somethin' nice for a Marine I'll offer her up to ya.

You pay shipping costs and if you like her she's yours. Other wise send her back.

No scope or base on her.

If interested lemme know..

Contact your Wildlife Department or state Hunter Education group. If you meet there requirements contact Wounded Warriors. There at one time was some grant money to help physically challenged hunters adapting firearms and wheel chairs so they could hunt. Some gunsmiths have done conversions for some of our special hunt people either free or at a great rate. Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

I was watching a hunting show and they advertised a mechanical rest, It moved in every direction. It looked to be real solid. They held video cameras and rifles to shoot. It attached to treestands or benches by clamping. It would probably attach to a wheelchair. The only problem is I don't know what it is called. Maybe somebody else saw it or you could research the internet. Matt

Several years ago, my Grand-nephew David (Army) came back from Afghanistan with some pretty severe injuries including only the use of his Right arm. Before he had left, he had wanted to go Hog hunting with us in Texas, but it didn't happen within the time frame where he could go before he had to leave.
After about a year in the Hospital, he was released, but when we talked to him on the phone, you could tell he was kinds depressed, so my brother and I decided to take him Hog hunting.

When we got down there, the main problem seemed to be that with only a right arm, he couldn't hold a rifle, so we had gotten several shooting sticks and figured we'd figure out a way to hold them up so he could get a shot off at the hogs. Didn't work at all, was way too unstable and as a matter of fact, both my Brother and I blew off shots so he would not feel so bad about not getting a hog since none of us did. I went back home to Arizona and both of us were racking our brains on how to support the rifle and still give him some movement to adjust his aim. what we finally came up with is shown in the following pictures. First, I had a plate made for the top of my Surveyors tripod where the top, adjustable portion of my Primus Hunting shooting stand (I had won it in a raffle) could be threaded onto the plate. Cost me $20.00 when the local fabricator found out what it was for, so I ordered 2, just in case. The plate was designed to fit over the top of the David White tripod and then the top portion of the stand was threaded into the plate. By extending the legs and spreading the legs of the tripod real wide, we got it low enough to run his wheelchair under and since the shooting stand was not only vertically adjustable, but would swing 360 degree's he could lead a moving and at least get off some shots at it.
Worked like a charm...He got 2 hogs that trip and immediately cheered up.

Anyway, here are a few pictures i took today to show you how it worked. The old Mauser was put on the chair trying to show side swing, but didn't quite work out the way I hoped. Will label them as I go.
DSCN0902.jpg......DSCN0903.jpg...DSCN0906.jpg
the plate with bolt welded on -- Top side of plate -- Primus adjustable rest with the base pieces removed

DSCN0899.jpg....DSCN0883.jpg

David White tripod with plate set on top -- Wheelchair under tripood

Because of download limitations am going to continue in another post!

Anyway to continue,

DSCN0885.jpg...DSCN0888.jpg...DSCN0894.jpg
Trying to show rifle swing range --Wheelchair Fit under tripod -- Lower leg of tripod

Anyway, I picked up an extra tripod at the swap meet, took it to Texas and we all had a great time. the reason i am showing the lower leg of the tripod, is that when David got back to Arkansas, he had the aluminum lower legs heated and bent about 60 degree's down, about 1'-0" above the ground to make the tripod more stable. It made the collapsed tripod a little longer, but it is a lot more stable. We got him a Primus Shooting stand (About $75.00) and since then, he has taken several deer locally.

Now what this is all about is that I still have one of these plates, made up (I ordered 2) and if someone wants to claim it, send me a PM and a address, and will mail it out. HOWEVER, it will NOT work with some of the other shooting stands as I had to special Order the nuts to weld onto the plate because they are a really weird Metric size, and took me 2 weeks to get them.

Anyway for what it is worth!

Packrat

Very nice Packrat that made me think of the new one Cadwell makes. It is the same concept with the legs but does hold the whole rifle in the cradle. Hope this helps, you may want to look At PDC custom stocks ,very light nicely built.

Seeing as how ya'll are get'n innovative: Check this.

I did a review of the system a while back and it proved, with personal motivations/innovations, quite acceptable.

Modification of the RATS for this particular situation seems quite reasonable.

R.A.T.S

I use it for a range of rifles and shooting situations.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.