Creative ways to cut weight?

Scopes are heavy, so a lighter one can cut a lb or more in some cases. Actions, bolts, and barrels are heavy by design and necessity.

Stocks don't add that much, but I have seen some forends hollowed out under the barrel and in the butt, only saving at most a few oz and reducing the strength and vibration absorbing properties.

A sling can add 4-12oz in most cases.

Bipods are heavy for the same reason the action is. It has to hold up to some abuse. Would I be interested in a lightweight bipod? Maybe, if it doesn't cost too much. I don't usually use it anyway, except when shooting prone or from a bench. I hunt for food and most of my shots are offhand or braced against a tree.

It's hard to get a good rifle under 7-8 lbs. lighter weight increases recoil.
Going off your last statement powder choice can do the same! Exiting gas pressure vs exiting gas volume. There is a line where they intersect on certain barrel lengths? LA magnums are more noticeable.

The light rifle is already built,running it 11 years.All the above except standard action,Alum. bolt,Lonewolf carbon /glass stock,Light for size 3-24x52 scope,safari sling lite.My bipod 13 oz. on hip belt pack,ran nothing the rest of my 58 years and had no problem.Im vested in my setup,which Ive used extensively in past 11 years on multiple rifles.I shoot off rock or log,root many times and being able to have the bipod legs go either direction is very important to me,and adjustable,and stout.I can live with it,shave on pack,clothing ,knive,lazer,most items.But am very happy with my bipod. Ive also shoot game out to the 600 mark when I ran a Snipepod,very lite,not near the stability.If snows deep may shoot off my trekking poles Leki carbon.If im packing spotter I can shoot off my outdoorsman or other lighter tripod with interface to my rail. Ive seen sheep rifles in the 5 # range,how light do you need?See alot of light builds with heavy big scopes
You're making a smart move by finding a setup that works and sticking with it. Hard to do these days when there's so much cool gear coming out

Seems out of the box these days. Working out makes the rifle feel lighters believe it or not…

Everything has give or take…be it weight, durability, performance, and unfortunately aesthetics is something people in a market consider with varying consideration.

There are some universally bad ideas in different disciplines but generally, there's a matter of what give and takes you are willing to live or die with.
Working out, nooooooooo..... it makes too much sense lol

If I were trying to shed mere ounces to save on weight I think you'd save a few by dropping the M5 trigger guard and magazine out and installing a bdl style floorplate. The magazines are handy but do add weight. I run mags on most of my rifles but truthfully even after the shot I slowly open the bolt to catch that precious brass!
That's a good idea! Is it very labor intensive to do that swap?

Wait when you say "we" do you work for that company? I did not particularly like their attitude on social media and that alone will keep me from buying. They're also made overseas.
Yeah, I disclose that in the 1st sentence. One of our goals next year is to bring some manufacturing and better distribution over here stateside.

I agree with the working out. I've been working out for the past year. I feel alot better overall. My rifles feel lighter. I honestly think I shoot better.
That makes sense because if you're in better shape then you'd be able to recover quicker from huffing and puffing up a hill

Scopes are heavy, so a lighter one can cut a lb or more in some cases. Actions, bolts, and barrels are heavy by design and necessity.

Stocks don't add that much, but I have seen some forends hollowed out under the barrel and in the butt, only saving at most a few oz and reducing the strength and vibration absorbing properties.

A sling can add 4-12oz in most cases.

Bipods are heavy for the same reason the action is. It has to hold up to some abuse. Would I be interested in a lightweight bipod? Maybe, if it doesn't cost too much. I don't usually use it anyway, except when shooting prone or from a bench. I hunt for food and most of my shots are offhand or braced against a tree.

It's hard to get a good rifle under 7-8 lbs. lighter weight increases recoil.
The Javelin Lite bipod is 6 oz., about $150, and you can use it on as many is as many of your rifles as you get an adapter for. Another option I've seen but have not personally tested is the new 20 oz stock from Peak 44. Weatherby is just now using them, and it looks like they are half pound lighter than even most carbon stocks.

For me if the rifle is already built light, it'll come down to lighter weight scope rings and bases. Ditch the heavy steel stuff that you don't really need, get a lighter smaller scope, it's a lightweight rifle after all, don't think I'd be trying overly long shots with a lightweight rifle. Then again lightweight rifles can be something of individual interpretation. For me a lightweight rifle comes in somewhere under 6lbs bare, closer to 5lbs if I'm being picky, that should come in well under 7lbs scoped and loaded.

To me the perspective that you could lose more weight on yourself and not spend money is a cop out. I'd rather do both, be in better shape and carry less weight in gear. Sure being stronger makes things feel lighter, for a while, but the lighter weight gear will still feel even lighter. For me it's more about miles than weight. If I can lose more weight in both my gear and myself that means I can go more miles before getting worn out. Even if you're in the best shape you could possibly be in why carry heavier gear just for the sake of it?
I'm seeing the recommendation over and over for lighter scopes and rings. It's sounding like this would be the number one tip

Ditch the huge scope, ditch the heavy barrel, ditch the bipod. Put a 3.5-10 or 2.5-8 leupold in Talley rings on a tikka t3 in whatever caliber strikes yours fancy. Weight saved and still good to 500.
I see Tikka recommend all the time. Is that because they're one of the cheapest ways to start a custom build from? Is it because they have good triggers, or a floating bolt head that doesn't require a gunsmith to blueprint and lap the action?

I don't know what works for others, but if I hunt with my 12+lb rifle, after a day or so, if I switch to my 8.5lb rifle, it feels like it weighs 5lbs!
I regularly hunt with heavy rifles, up to 18lbs, which I trek in to an area strapped to my pack, then shoot from prone.
My 44 mag lever gun only weighs in at 5 3/4lbs, it is a dream to hunt with, but a pain to carry without a sling.

Cheers.

Full disclosure, my first idea is a product I rep, but I would like to end up exchanging ideas that could help all of us shed ounces off our shooting rig. My question is, what are some effective and possibly unorthodox ways to lighten up our hunting irons?

It always seems crazy to me that people spend $700 for a carbon stock, $1500 for a titanium action, $800 for a carbon barrel, do all kinds of metal skeletonizing, then hang a 1 pound bipod off the forend. A friend was complaining that our Javelin Lite and Pro Hunt bipods are expensive, but at only 4-6 ounces, I can't think of more cost-effective way to save weight on his rifle.

What kind of out-of-the-box ways have you guys found to lighten up a rifle?

View attachment 303395
Loose the bipod and use a stump, stick,grassy knoll....or backpack!

My Browning Mountailn Ti weighs 5.5 lbs without scope. Tally rings and Leupold 40mm 13 oz. scope . I use a homemade safari sling. It weighs just a few ounces, and is by far the most comfortable way to carry a rifle for quick use. I'm 67, and hunt rough country. A light rifle is a joy.