Cougar Hunting

It's been my experience that cats take a long time to come in to calling. They tend to come in from behind when you are using too much volume. You will see them just appear seemingly out of nowhere and just setting or laying staring at the sound. Often the only movement you will detect is their tails moving, they will look like a rock that just showed up and wasn't there when you started calling. Because of this a lot of cats that are called aren't seen by callers I believe. We as callers see the fast-moving coyotes and then the fox, before the glacial moving cats. Just my thoughts.
Thanks Dave.

What I would recommend is whenever you get a little new snow is to ride the logging roads looking for fresh tracks then do some calling. I live in Orygun too so there are as many cats as ever in the mountains & foothills. Attached photo is not me. Cat was taken in foothills not far east of Seattle. A big tom. Hunt with a partner!
That's a
Big Boy there.

I live in Northwest Alabama and have seen mountain lion on two separate occasions. I know I'm gonna stir some controversy by saying that I've seen a solid black one that might have weighed 100lbs while sitting in a shooting house deer hunting. It was chasing a doe that weighed probably 60lbs. It was 18 steps at 8:40 in the mourning. Another hunter saw it the next day standing in the middle of a gravel road. I know they say they don't exist. I'm sorry to say I know 1 did and will take a polygraph to prove it. If I fail it I'll pay if I pass the person that questions my credibility pays. I also have a game camera photo of one 20 plus years ago and if I can find it I will post it. I showed the photo of it to game Warden. After staring at it for 5 minutes in silence he said, all I can say is they don't exist. I put the photo in my shirt pocket then he asked to see it again, I said politely, see what? It don't exist and I got up and walked out.

I live in Northwest Alabama and have seen mountain lion on two separate occasions. I know I'm gonna stir some controversy by saying that I've seen a solid black one that might have weighed 100lbs while sitting in a shooting house deer hunting. It was chasing a doe that weighed probably 60lbs. It was 18 steps at 8:40 in the mourning. Another hunter saw it the next day standing in the middle of a gravel road. I know they say they don't exist. I'm sorry to say I know 1 did and will take a polygraph to prove it. If I fail it I'll pay if I pass the person that questions my credibility pays. I also have a game camera photo of one 20 plus years ago and if I can find it I will post it. I showed the photo of it to game Warden. After staring at it for 5 minutes in silence he said, all I can say is they don't exist. I put the photo in my shirt pocket then he asked to see it again, I said politely, see what? It don't exist and I got up and walked out.
You should send the pic to Clay Newcomb. I loved his podcast on black panthers.

You should send the pic to Clay Newcomb. I loved his podcast on black panthers.
Unless he believes they exist I won't waste my time. I will say what I saw if not a mountain lion could be the elusive Florida black panther or jaguar. All I know is how cat don't grow knee high and weigh in around 100lbs.

Unless he believes they exist I won't waste my time. I will say what I saw if not a mountain lion could be the elusive Florida black panther or jaguar. All I know is how cat don't grow knee high and weigh in around 100lbs.
He 100% wants them too. He did an episode on southern jaguars and I remember talk of black panthers and the mystique around them. They even made a hat!
It's called the Bear Grease podcast.

I live in Northwest Alabama and have seen mountain lion on two separate occasions. I know I'm gonna stir some controversy by saying that I've seen a solid black one that might have weighed 100lbs while sitting in a shooting house deer hunting. It was chasing a doe that weighed probably 60lbs. It was 18 steps at 8:40 in the mourning. Another hunter saw it the next day standing in the middle of a gravel road. I know they say they don't exist. I'm sorry to say I know 1 did and will take a polygraph to prove it. If I fail it I'll pay if I pass the person that questions my credibility pays. I also have a game camera photo of one 20 plus years ago and if I can find it I will post it.
I showed the photo of it to game Warden. After staring at it for 5 minutes in silence he said, all I can say is they don't exist
. I put the photo in my shirt pocket then he asked to see it again, I said politely, see what? It don't exist and I got up and walked out.
How do you look at a photo of it and say it doesn't exist? There's the old joke about the "local yokel" who sees a rhinoceros at the zoo; and says, "ther ain't no sech animal."