First cougar called in

gunaddict

My friend Randy and I went cougar calling Saturday. No snow!:cool: First 2 stands calling no luck. 45mins calling.
3rd stand we walked out this ridge approx 500yds and set up. We were approx 100yds from a 10yr old unit on the ridge. We were using a portable blind. Started calling at 11:10am with the Foxpro fawn bleat and approx 11:40 a caught movement real close. I noticed a ear then it's face. Holy **** that's a cougar. I started shaking violently, from my feet to my head. I am trying to get my **** together:rolleyes:. I move my gun slightly as I feel the whole blind is moving:cool:. I look through the scope and I can barely see the cougar, the netting from the blind is blocking my objective lens. So I move the gun slowly again, and the cougar catches the slight movement, it takes 2 steps directly towards me. It is fixated on me now. Eyes are locked in at my direction, Randy says at this time the cougar uses sometype of cougar screaming lingo. I don't remember cause I am shaking so bad, adrelinen is pumping and I am just trying to make the shot. So I put the cross hairs on the chest of this cougar, take a really big breath, exhale somewhat and squeeze the trigger. Cougar downgun) The blind goes flying and the high fives start. And then I tell Randy I need a chew. As I just quit the day before.:) The cougar was 20 steps from where I shot from. I used a 270WSM 130grTTSX.
I had left my pack with camera at the truck . Well that won't happen again!. So we dragged the female cougar approx 400 yds down to the road. I think it will weigh between 70 and 80lbs. That's where we took pics. Going to do a full body mount. Have to take it to Oregon Fish and Wildlife Monday morning to get it checked in.

Attachments

• Todd's cat 028.jpg
    Todd's cat 028.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 135
  • Todd's cat 033.jpg
    Todd's cat 033.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 128
  • Todd's cat 044.jpg
    Todd's cat 044.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 133
That's awesome. I bet your cremaster muscle contracted during that whole deal as well. Good job!!!!

Wow! Nice work, I am interested in your scouting. Have you seen cats out there before or just calling where you saw sign? I would love to give it a try but it sounds like it takes a lot longer sets and probably tons of scouting to make it happen.

That is.Cool! Congrates! Now you can start your own forum called " Short Range.Hunting" or how to ruin your shorts hunting . Very exciting hunt! again Congrates!
Rupe

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.