Cougar

rotorhead

I have a friend that cougar hunts and it looks like I might be able to go up and hunt with him this year. I am looking for the preferred cartridge form some of you who hunt cougar. We will be hunting spot and stalk.
Thanks in advanced.

Rh

Rh,

Spot and stalk is a tough way to do the cougar thing. Shooting one out of a tree is a bunch different than having an unknown distance, angle, wind, etc.

I'd pick whatever rifle you would use for a yote sized animal but with a bullet that held together a bit to avoid severe hide damage. One of the solid copper bullets that sheds or not sheds its petals should work fine.

I've used the Lost River J-36 # 3200 fps on yotes at distances from 40 yds to way-out-there with great success in a 270 Win. Exit hole never any larger than a quarter when shot through the rib cage.

Good luck.

Buddy of mine uses his Ruger MK 2 hunter that shoots 22 LR.

Both of us are wanting a 10/22 mag, lots of pop and pterry light really. Another friend that does control hunts uses a 204 Ruger but I have not seen any of the holes made by that round, might be big might be small.

Whatever you get, make it light.....you will probably end up chasing the cat a ways.

Joe Oakes

Thanks guys, I have been wanting to build a 204 ruger but I think all the bullets will cause too much damage. I might have to look into the 135 berger. anyway
It sounds like my swift will be just the ticket. I just wasn't too sure how tough the ole cats are as this would be my first venture for cougar.
My friend uses a 270 but he is a two gun man 270 and 338 and he doesn't have any want for another gun. Every year he sends me a list of the ammo he wants with fired brass and I put it together . I asked if he would like me to show him how to load and he said nope . He is a hunter through and through not particularly a gun nut.

Thanks for your input
RH

First, where are you gonna be hunting cats at ? I can tell you spot and stalk on mtn. lions is extemely tough and not to rewarding.

You need to go with a guy that has good dogs and put them up in a tree.

Here in Wyoming, anything smaller than .23 caliber is illegal to use. check your states regs.

Lots of great cat hunting here in Wyoming....

Good luck....

About good hunting, are you talking about the cat's hunting or the hunter's hunting?

A fella about a mile from me has a small elk operation. He also has a large brush pile.

His dogs were going nuts at the brush pile.

Momma cat has stashed two kittens (I'm talking cougar here!) in the brush pile.

Its an exciting neighborhood where I live. Every thing from me shooting, a dirt track neighbor firing up his machines and now Mtn Lions doing sleep overs......

A good way to hunt them is to find a fresh kill and predator call them. I would think to spot and stalk them would be **** near impossible. They are pretty elusive. We have been fortunate to take one and see three in the last couple of years. We have way to many around here and they are putting a hurt on the deer population. I wish they would let poeple hunt them with dogs again in Oregon. It would put more venison on my plate instead of a cats belly!

mmmtaste like pork

Don't let all that kitty meat go to waste. Its actually pretty good. Dosn't even taste like housecat! My friend gets them quite a bit, I thought he was nuts at first. He handed me some delicious "smoked pork" he told me it was cougar, I said no way. Later he had me try some seasoned breakfast sasauge made from real cat. Talk about good!

Thanks for the info. I will check the regs. He lives in Washington state but I'm not positive where exactly he hunts as he is on the eastern side. He is an arborest/ tree guy, and **** hard to get a hold of this time of the year.I probably won;t hear from him until the end of august.

Rh

I'll give the old cat a place on the grill at least once but more than likely twice you know if it tastes like crap I'll think there must be a better way to cook it and try again.

We took 2 longtails this winter (150 and 140 lbs). The first with a 160 Accubond out of a 7RM, and the second to a 140 Accubond from a 7mm-08. For the type of hunting you are looking at doing I would take the old deer rifle.

Recent Posts