Cougar Hunting

Years ago my mother who's gone on, told my dad that she saw an armadillo. I remember like it was yesterday he replied.....I don't know what you saw but it wasn't no armadillo. We don't have those around here. The very next morning there was a dead armadillo in the road in front of our driveway. My mother and I sure had us a good laugh.

I've seen a bunch of stuff in the last 8 years it seems most folks still don't believe happened, and a bunch more stuff that was proven wrong that is still believed to be true.

So there's that...

Southern Jaguars? Sure way more believable than most of what they're telling you to believe is true these days.

I remember as a kid the Game Warden told us the Lion that broke the Doe's neck in our sweetcorn didn't exist either. It didn't exist when it came back either. But my Dad and me with dogs chased it for 2 days back deep in the mountains.

Dad did the same with each of my sons many years later and decade apart. He wasn't a big fan of killing them, not against it,, just not a fan.. He changed his mind after one killed a $15,000 colt.

I live in Northwest Alabama and have seen mountain lion on two separate occasions. I know I'm gonna stir some controversy by saying that I've seen a solid black one that might have weighed 100lbs while sitting in a shooting house deer hunting. It was chasing a doe that weighed probably 60lbs. It was 18 steps at 8:40 in the mourning. Another hunter saw it the next day standing in the middle of a gravel road. I know they say they don't exist. I'm sorry to say I know 1 did and will take a polygraph to prove it. If I fail it I'll pay if I pass the person that questions my credibility pays. I also have a game camera photo of one 20 plus years ago and if I can find it I will post it. I showed the photo of it to game Warden. After staring at it for 5 minutes in silence he said, all I can say is they don't exist. I put the photo in my shirt pocket then he asked to see it again, I said politely, see what? It don't exist and I got up and walked out.
Black jaguars are known to exist. It's the melanistic phase.
But not black cougars (mountain lions, pumas).

Last edited:
Well I have heard that, but never had proved to me. They say black is a recessive color in Leopards, maybe thats where the Jaguars came from and maybe Panthers from Lions.

Per request

Attachments

• 20231121_082239.jpg
    20231121_082239.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 53
I have personally witnessed, along with my brother, a huge bobcat turn from a shiny jet black to a normal gray color as we drove closer to it. He thought it was his black lab Ranger that had went missing 6 months before. I said that is a BIG CAT. As we went from 130 yards to about 10 yards on a very over cast cloudy day his "appearance" went from jet black to whitish gray. I think most black panther sightings are probably regular tan cougars but for whatever reason (lighting etc) they appear black.

NOW I once had a chat with THE Warren Haslouer of the Smokey River Bluetick kennels. This man had treed and killed probably 150 cougars in his lifetime. He even went down to old Mexico with his blueticks and treed a Jaguar back in the day.
I asked him about black cougars. He then told me a story about a hunt in Idaho where they were on top of a deep steep canyon. The dogs went down through canyon and ran a pair of big cougars up the other side of the canyon. He said the sun was shining at his back and the cats were in bright clear sunshine as the top of the canyon was treeless about 400 yards away. One cat was normal colored the other was a shiny jet black. They didn't tree either cat but said they spent several weeks trying to find it again.

I can believe that the way the light hits things they tend to be seen as a different color, I have things that do that, look blue in some lighting situations then black in other light.