Cost of a new scope?

That is a lot of money, especially when there are so many reasonably priced excellent scopes out there. For hunting I've gone back to 1" Leopold 3x9x40 on a model 7 7mm-08 and love the glass and the fire-dot focuses your aim hunting. If you're going titanium I thing you want some weight savings. The leupold has as a mil-mil reticle/turret and weight is 13oz. I know it is inexpensive, but I use 15x56 Swarovski binos for sex appeal.

I would still say buy what you like that is reliable - from a hunting rifle prospective. Just because I can afford Swarovski z-8, I prefer the Leupold VX-5 in most cases. I love the 3-15 range for most hunting situations along with the firedot and their CDS system. Some may not like that configuration at all. Point is, find what YOU like and trust and then look at the price tag, not the other way around.

There is a quote attributed to J.P.Morgan that pretty much covers buying anything.
Rifles and Scopes included. Shooting and Hunting today are hobbies more than necessitys like Fishing and Golf. I mean we don't have to hunt our daily bread like
150 years ago. The price of one guided Elk trip would stock the pantry for a year
for a lot of families. So if you have it and want to spend it..I say do it!

Last edited:
In todays standard a $3000 optic might be considered frugal now that there are $5000 and $7500 optics / Cnd funds on the market... I guess that they are the best of the best,,, it won't be long before we see these cost sky rocket into the $10 or $15 G price tag... One can only guess...

This is fine and dandy when a person can afford it,,, one would think that the average person is still in the $1000 range,,, purhaps the majority of folks are spending less than that... I don't know since my shooting leed and I along with a few other shooters have optics above and below the one thousand mark...

Its not that we are cheap or want to be frugal,,, its that we have to be since our funds are limited to what each of us can afford...

I said this on another thread a few days ago,,, spend what a person can afford with in their there own budget,,, use the extra cash to go hunting,,, scouting,,, living off grid,,, camping and fishing along with lots of other things out-doors...

Yes,,, there's nothing wrong with buying in on the top quality,,, it has its benefits,,, but sometimes life deals us cards of limited funds... The fellow on limited income,,, the dad mother raising a family,,, and so on... The hand of life we are delt with...

I'll stay on my frugal optic and rifle costs till the end game,,, both of my close friends are doing the same thing,,, Ha...

We are """short range""" target shooters below the 1700 meter mark,,, and chase the big game hunting stuff... Lots of old school packages that seem to get it done...

Of course I own 1 safety Queen rifle that was with in my budget at the time,,, but normally I run with my $1000 rig becuase it's fun to pack all year long,,, I suppose it was valued at $4800 last year,,, but its just another well used rifle and optic like the rest of my irons... Same for the other package I'm building this winter...

The build will come in at $3200 Cnd funds,,, I'll most likely use one of my well used chunks of glass that are now worth $4 or $500 bucks...

Bought and paid for... The glass is fairly clear and they still track ok...

Yuppers,,, playing with in my budget allows me time to get out for the late season Elk hunt coming up,,, good times fore-sure in my out-door activities...

Cheers from the North

First priority is good glass. Priority 1A is light weight. This is my first foray into dialing with a big game rifle so it needs to work so I know any problems are me.
Owning quality LRH scopes that range from 24oz to 39oz, I have come to realize that the added weight of less then one pound and and 1-2 inches of added length in most LRH applications is more of an illusion as to help or hindrance, then a reality. Generally, the increase in weight is due to more reliable/higher quality components, greater durability, and in the case of dimensions greater range of adjustment and optical quality. These differences become very noticeable as the hours in the field are accumulated, and the relatively small increase in weight and mass go un-noticed. My viewpoint on scope-weight/mass has changed over time, I now find myself using my top tier "light scopes" more for mid range applications. While there are many good choices available, the Nightforce ATAC-R checks all the boxes for an excellent balance of glass quality, mechanical reliability, feature selection, price/value, and top quality service(if ever required). If your shooting is not up to par......there is little to no chance this scope is the culprit......IMO.

Last edited:
I'd have to put my vote in with several here on this post. The Leupold VX6 is my top choice for hunting rifles. The weight is reasonable compared to A1 glass. Beyond the gold ring it has been the gold STANDARD for hunting scopes in the USA.
Now binoculars and spotting scopes A1 Glass is always in fashion.

I heard one should spend 1 1/2-2X as much on a scope as for the rifle. I'm scraping together enough to get a Weatherby titanium 6.5 RPM for over $3,000. I have never heard of a $6,000 scope. What do I do now?
I heard one should spend 1 1/2-2X as much on a scope as for the rifle. I'm scraping together enough to get a Weatherby titanium 6.5 RPM for over $3,000. I have never heard of a $6,000 scope. What do I do now?
There is no longer the need to spend thousands of dollars on optics like there was a short time ago.
You can get the features and benefits you are looking for at less than a thousand dollars today.

There is no longer the need to spend thousands of dollars on optics like there was a short time ago.
You can get the features and benefits you are looking for at less than a thousand dollars today.
there is also no need to buy a Yukon Denali when you can make do with a KIA for thousands less. Same comparison. Same difference. Bigger, heavier, does more, costs more. You can use this same comparison with pretty much anything you buy. What about rifles. A $300 rifle will shoot just as far as a $3000 one.

there is also no need to buy a Yukon Denali when you can make do with a KIA for thousands less. Same comparison. Same difference. Bigger, heavier, does more, costs more. You can use this same comparison with pretty much anything you buy. What about rifles. A $300 rifle will shoot just as far as a $3000 one.

truth

Here's a little story to chew on. When I got my new rifle, I had to replenish funds before I could buy the scope I wanted for it. I did all the load development with a 6-24PST I had laying around. I was happy and thought I had it shooting pretty well. When funds became available I sucked it up and bought the K525i. As soon as I started proofing it at distance, the rifle suddenly started shooting better. It already had over 100 rounds on the barrel so that's not it. Anyone think it might possibly have anything to do with being able to see the target better? I didn't expect it but it happened. True Story.

I thought this was about optics.
You are correct, some models of entry level rifles are extremely accurate but the optics is a huge part.
You can not hit it if you can not see it clearly with definition.

the champ,
I was so happy to see that info on the new z8i I called Swarovski this morning. A customer service representative told me it has the same glass as the z5 line. Then he continued to tell me all Swarovskis use the same glass. I had four z5 5-25X52. Two had glass that was about the same as my Leupold VX-6 4-24X52 and my Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. Two weren't even close.

A buddy brought two of his Swarovskis to check for low light:. A z8i 2.3-18X and a z6 5-30X50. The z6 was like the two z5s I couldn't stand. He sold it the next week. The z8i was absolutely outragious. It lasted twenty minutes longer than the z5, VX-6, and the 6500.

The weight on the one you mentioned works but I don't want to gamble I get one of the rejects. If there was a place to compare some before purchasing I would be willing to drive two or three hours to put them side by side with my 6500. If it was as good as my friend's z8i I would bring it home.

That notion applies to individuals making a purchase on a middle of the road rifle somewhere between $500-$1,000. THe mindset was that you should be spending somewhere between $1,000-$2,000 for a scope. THe thought analysis came from people paying $800 for a rifle and then spending $200 for a scope, didn't make sense.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.