Cost of a new scope?

You boys are very gracious to offer to sell a scope for the right price. I saw a S&B for $4,500 or $5,400. But it was way too heavy for this rifle. The glass was fantastic. Noticably better than my beloved Bushnell.

There is one I think is worth saving for. It is only twenty-four ounces! Put that in some Talleys and I have a carry weight way under seven pounds!

Good thread. To me paying more for the glass than the rifle just doesn't make sense. That said, I'm usually maxing out at 400-500 yards. I remember when Leupold was the bees-knees. I still like them and have quite a few. I also have a FFP Sig- sayer Tango 4 and a couple of Vortex HSTs. I realize their limitations in low light conditions and can see where a Nightforce would be nice "out west".

I'm in the market for a new scope to put on a Sako Finnlight that I hope to get soon. Good luck finding a nice silver finish scope anymore. I found a "Barska". Hope I can do better than that.

This saying is most useful for the crowd who buys off the shelf budget rifles...if you buy a 300 dollar 700, put a 300-500$ swfa 3-9,1-4,6 and it's a good saying. If you're spending 3 grand on a rifle it's less important(not having a good scope, but having one more expensive than the rifle). 2 main things you're buying with a scope, and a third kind of.

1.Reliability/durability- this is a must and without it your entire killing device is literally useless.

2. glass quality/comfort - "some" is a must, these days a 300$ swfa has "great" glass that you can kill an animal @1k with.

3. Weight - matters to some, costs a ton of money if you want to keep #1

You can buy a scope that will track for well under a grand. You can buy a scope that won't for under a grand or over. You can buy a scope that's glass looks like unicorns gave it a spit and shine and also still is durable, this is where big money comes in. You can make it light-ish if you really want to toss money to the skies.

This saying is most useful for the crowd who buys off the shelf budget rifles...if you buy a 300 dollar 700, put a 300-500$ swfa 3-9,1-4,6 and it's a good saying. If you're spending 3 grand on a rifle it's less important(not having a good scope, but having one more expensive than the rifle). 2 main things you're buying with a scope, and a third kind of.

1.Reliability/durability- this is a must and without it your entire killing device is literally useless.

2. glass quality/comfort - "some" is a must, these days a 300$ swfa has "great" glass that you can kill an animal @1k with.

3. Weight - matters to some, costs a ton of money if you want to keep #1

You can buy a scope that will track for well under a grand. You can buy a scope that won't for under a grand or over. You can buy a scope that's glass looks like unicorns gave it a spit and shine and also still is durable, this is where big money comes in. You can make it light-ish if you really want to toss money to the skies.
The best part is that manufacturers are figuring out how to give us all 3 for less and less $$$ every year it seems.

The best part is that manufacturers are figuring out how to give us all 3 for less and less $$$ every year it seems.

Yes, we are in good times for optics, and hopefully they will continue to be pressed.

My biggest current gripe is the cloak of reliability from a vocal social media customer base that barely uses their equipment. It sounds rude and I don't mean it to be, I just am not interested in reliability testimonials by Josh Joshinson whose rifle leaves it's safe once a year to sit on a range bench and then twice in the fall to a heated deer stand.

OP, Tangent should have their hunter series out this year, if you're looking to spend money I would check it out.

One thing that you do have to admit. It doesn't make since to purchase a quality rifle then put a $39.95 piece of glass on it, then wonder why that expensive rifle won't shot. I don't pretend to know half of what a lot of people on here know. But when people ask me about rifles I try to remind them that the scope is probably more important. Rich it sounds like you are getting a very nice rifle I know you will enjoy it. And like several others on here if you really need help finding a $6000 scope I'm willing to do what I can to assist. Lol

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.