Cost of a new scope?

A quote from an old writer "Hell I Was There", likely applies to many of us. It's hard for me to even look at some low end scopes having had issues with them decades ago. Likely not a fair comparison to todays products from the same manufacturer.

Watching scopes become available for the needs of top tier shooters, you can't blink. Only 1 SHOT SHOW from "obsolete".

A quote from an old writer "Hell I Was There", likely applies to many of us. It's hard for me to even look at some low end scopes having had issues with them decades ago. Likely not a fair comparison to todays products from the same manufacturer.

Watching scopes become available for the needs of top tier shooters, you can't blink. Only 1 SHOT SHOW from "obsolete".
I remember when Elmer wrote that book. Had to order it mail order because it wasnt available in stores where i lived. Quite a colorful guy. Hagel and Ruark were my favorites along with the two Ackley wrote. Showing my age...

A very close friend of mine is one of Swarovski's field reps. I'm going to ask him if they are the same glass since there is a difference in the amount of light that passes through them. The Z8i has a 93% pass though which is higher than the Z6 or the Z5. The Z6i 2.5-15x56 has a 91% where the rest of the Z6i models have 90% light pass through. The Z5 and Z3 series also have 90%.

I saw some comments the other day on defective or 'not up to par' Swarovskis. I've had a bunch and still own quite a few and never seen one that didn't live up to their reputation. I was pretty much convinced the Z6i 2.5-15x56 was the best low light scope they had and didn't think the Z8i was going to out perform it. Well even with my 66 year old eyes it did.

I really liked the Z6i 2.5-15x56. When I got it the reticle was a BRi which I really didn't care for so I had Swarovski add the Ballistic Turret to it so now it has both systems. I used it with the BT and it is very clear and precise. In fact I had it on a 204 Ruger in a Blaser R8 and was able to shoot a group measuring .26" at 100 yards. Had quite a few that were well under 1/2" but that was the best of the bunch. I'm definitely not like most of the guys here in that these days I hate to shoot so I shoot very little. I suspect most of you'll could do one hole with that combo. For me that was exceptional. I do limit my hunting to under 500 yards.

Did you by chance discuss your Swarovskis that are dark with their Reps? They'll gladly have you send them in for an inspection, cleaning, etc., which is no charge. Their customer service is outstanding and never a hassle. I've never had an issue with one but have sent several in for additions, reticle changes, replacing target turrets with hunting turrets, etc.

I do have a z5 5-25x52 with the BRXH and am either going to trade it for one with the BT or sell it and buy one with the BT. The BT system works on any power where the BTi/BRXH/BRX has to be on full power which doesn't work in extremely low light.

Also most any dealer will take a scope back if you're not satisfied with it for whatever reason. Must be returned in 'new' condition but that's easy enough to do.

Lots of good glass out there. Good luck on whatever you decide to use.

Even the least expensive rifle (other than an AK 47...:confused:) will outperform a shooter than don't get out and practice and I don't mean punching paper at 100 yards either. Heck, I have a handgun that will do that everyday.
I have a 1000 yard handcannon. :) It's a XP-100, sporting a Heavy Hart barrel and launching a 117 Berger out of the 25-06.......no need for a muzzle brake either. :cool:

Try sticking to a good Leupold. You won't get a situation in the US for S&B to make a difference. After 45 years with Leupold on my service weapons and 55 as a hunter, my choice is easy. Best service as well.
TRUE about Leupold, however I LOVE the reticles offered by Vortex! ;)

Thank you for checking with the rep. I had trouble believing the guy on the phone.

Long day yesterday but I did get in touch with him. Phone connection wasn't real good since he was out in the boonies at a shoot. He did clarify that the Z8 and the upper powers in the Z6 have High Definition (HD) glass which is a different glass than any of the other lower powered scopes. In the Z6 lineup the 1-6x24, 1.7-10x42 and 2-12x50 do NOT have the HD glass. Starting with the 2.5-14x44 and up through the 5-30x50 the Z6 models have the HD glass. I knew this at one time and forgot it over the years... so now it makes sense that I can see extremely well in low light with the 5-30 as long as I keep the power range turned down between 5-8, maybe up to 10 depending on available light.

The Z8s all have the HD lenses so they do provide for a lot more light pass through. Not guaranteeing that I heard him right but from what I gathered the HD has more 'crystal' in it which allows for the light to go through better. One comment I found on line in an ad stated that the HD glass enhanced the contrast and resolution as well as virtually eliminating color fringing. They allow for razor sharp focus of an image to the extreme edges of the FOV. In laymen terms it gives you a full picture without the dark edge around the FOV. That part I can attest to. A fellow hunter looked through one of my 5-30x50s a few years back and said that it was so much clearer and precise than what the naked eye could see. Most good scopes tend to clear things up better than what our eyes see but these go further than any others I've seen. I especially like not having the black edge around the picture.

I did have a Zeiss HT 3-12x56 a few years back and in low light the Z6 2.5-15x56 was a tad clearer than the HT. Plus the Swarovski had a focus for the eye and a parallax adjustment allowing you to fine tune what you were looking at. The Zeiss gave you a choice of a fine tuned target or a fine tuned eyepiece. Later their V8 models gave you both but I'm committed to the Swarovski models especially with their weight advantage over the V8 Zeiss models. Have several friends who love their V8 models. Never even looked through one out in the field so I can't say anything either way.

I mentioned that you'd experienced some issues with Z5s, etc., with less light and he said that was very unusual and indicated something was amiss and to send them in and have them gone through. They pride themselves on having an excellent reputation for service, etc. They don't want any of their optics out in the field to have issues since they would reflect back on the company in a negative light.

Next time your at a large show where Swarovski has their own display you might want to go visit with their reps. They know their products and usually have some on hand that you can put your hands on.

Hope this helped...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.