Cost of a new scope?

I spent about $3500 on my new rifle this year. I decided to treat myself to a great scope for it. I bought a new Kahles K525i for it. The scope was less than the rifle. I am not sorry. It is a great scope, and a real pleasure to use.

You need to put a scope on that's at least the same quality as your rifle. Doesn't have to be as expensive. You start to find quality around $1500 range then you can go as high as wallet will let you.

I must be doing it wrong in the F Class shooting world,,, we attached a $1000 chunk of glass to a $4800 rifle and placed 3rd over all in the FTR 308 category...

Guess if we would of done the $15.000 dollar optic we would of won... LOL

The 1 to 1 1/2 X's thing is only a rule of thumb,,, most folks in competition will dump endless funds since its all about winning when they can,,, don't get me right or wrong since I don't follow along with what other shooters do...

Unless my Leed wants to change things up... Ha... In most cases we hold even with the old school ideas...

Purhaps the hunting class folks are buying into the high costs,,, I like mid range frugal in that category...

The trick for me is to find good glass and cross hairs that will consistently track,,, I'd like to drop $5 to $7+++ G on a optic,,, but it ain't going to happen... Ha...

Find what you can reasonably afford and give it a go... I'd rather spend more money using what I own then working alot more hours to pay for stuff that I can't use since I'm working more to pay for it...

Maybe the old 6 power Weaver was all I needed all these years... LOL

Cheers from the North

You boys are very gracious to offer to sell a scope for the right price. I saw a S&B for $4,500 or $5,400. But it was way too heavy for this rifle. The glass was fantastic. Noticably better than my beloved Bushnell.

There is one I think is worth saving for. It is only twenty-four ounces! Put that in some Talleys and I have a carry weight way under seven pounds!
..All ******** aside I know you want to keep a hunting rifle weight down.Ive got scopes over $5k and some as low as $500. But for hunting I have 3 that are not too heavy and for long range hunting.A Leupold 6.5-20x42..a SWFA 3-15x42 and a Primary Arms that is my favorite Long Range Hunting Scope GLx-6-24x50 FFP Illuminated and the last scope is not too heavy..Good Luck

Probably not too hard to find a scope 1.5x more expensive than your rifle. Most will be nearly 1.5x the weight of that new Weatherby! Fuzzy math I know.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts