Confused! lots of customs for sale?

When I first started hand loading I decided it would be best to only have 1 or 2 "calibers" to have to load for so I traded the wifes .243 for a .270win since we had one already, and I had a couple .308win's so I was just going to keep things nice and simple and not have to buy a whole bunch of reloading equipment....boy was I kidding myself. $1000 in reloading crap later I realized I was fooling myself. I blame you people. Now I'm planning on getting a new .243, I have a .264 barrel blank with no real clear direction in mind, .223 ,22-250, the new fad gun(for the wife) I won't spell out cuz that horse has been beat to death. And now i just gotta have a 7ss, and really thinking the 25ss looks intriguing. So yes, i blame you all. The bug done bit! Still haven't become comfortable with spending big money on a custom action, but it's only a matter of time. I'm crazy enough that I want to pull apart my rem 700 and try to blueprint the action myself, and then cut that blank i got into a 260rem. Cuz why not? And since I'm not just quite there on my machinist skills, will end up running the remage style setup as it's more forgiving in the headspace department. I dont want to do any of this because I'm too cheap to pay a gunsmith(but I kinda am), but rather because I cant imagine how thrilling it will be if I can pull off a sub MOA build that I did everything myself. So everything everybody has said about building customs being fun and then move on to the next, I totally get that. I just think I'll be the crazy guys with gun safes lining every wall cuz I dont like getting rid of a rifle.

When I first started hand loading I decided it would be best to only have 1 or 2 "calibers" to have to load for so I traded the wifes .243 for a .270win since we had one already, and I had a couple .308win's so I was just going to keep things nice and simple and not have to buy a whole bunch of reloading equipment....boy was I kidding myself. $1000 in reloading crap later I realized I was fooling myself. I blame you people. Now I'm planning on getting a new .243, I have a .264 barrel blank with no real clear direction in mind, .223 ,22-250, the new fad gun(for the wife) I won't spell out cuz that horse has been beat to death. And now i just gotta have a 7ss, and really thinking the 25ss looks intriguing. So yes, i blame you all. The bug done bit! Still haven't become comfortable with spending big money on a custom action, but it's only a matter of time. I'm crazy enough that I want to pull apart my rem 700 and try to blueprint the action myself, and then cut that blank i got into a 260rem. Cuz why not? And since I'm not just quite there on my machinist skills, will end up running the remage style setup as it's more forgiving in the headspace department. I dont want to do any of this because I'm too cheap to pay a gunsmith(but I kinda am), but rather because I cant imagine how thrilling it will be if I can pull off a sub MOA build that I did everything myself. So everything everybody has said about building customs being fun and then move on to the next, I totally get that. I just think I'll be the crazy guys with gun safes lining every wall cuz I dont like getting rid of a rifle.

I tried the "one-gun one-caliber" route, it worked until one day while in a gun shop I found a rifle, in a caliber that I'd always wanted to try, at a price I couldn't pass up, with my name on it. We all know what that is like right!??:rolleyes: Did you mention the famous 6.5 Creed, probably not because you already have a couple of versatile .270s in your safe! ;);)

Last edited:
I don't feel there is one reason for you seeing a lot of 300 magnums for sale when you looked on the used gun market, it is winter and every winter spikes the urge in some to build a new rifle, that being said some go smaller to get away from recoil, as long as the gun will be able to still do the job that they need it to do and others may want to go bigger, something that will allow them to shoot even farther ! Many long range hunters are going to the 338-378 or larger or equivalent rifles to shoot out past 1500 yards ! Many are making the mistake of going too light for Elk with their choice of rifles, while their choice will kill elk in most cases they are under gunned if a not so well placed shot occurs and they are inevitable if they shoot at enough of them, an unseen limb or the animal move at the instant the trigger is pulled can all make a good placed shot a bad one, what I am saying is things that we can't control can happen ! I for one would rather be over gunned than under gunned and cripple an animal ! This is only my opinion ! And also next month you may look at the same place and notice there are more small to mid sized calibers on the market at that time ! Nothing more I feel than coincidence at the time !

Be careful. This is a chronic disease that can be lifelong and cost$$$ to treat.

As a teen, I started loading for 12 ga and 30-06, but then a 38/357 came into my life. Then
A 9mm model 39-2, and then as the decades passed, the disease grew worse. Now, I load for 48 varied cartridges, cast bullets for a dozen or so calibers, swage jacketed bullets for rifle and handgun calibers, make numerous wildcats and special purpose rounds, etc, etc.

I have come to accept this disease is going to be with me until death and have embraced my fate. YMMV

Last edited:
I tried the "one-gun one-caliber" route, it worked until one day while in a gun shop I found a rifle, in a caliber that I'd always wanted to try, at a price I couldn't pass up, with my name on it. We all know what that is like right!??:rolleyes: Did you mention the famous 6.5 Creed, probably not because you already have a couple of versatile .270s in your safe! ;);)
That was the "the new fad gun(for the wife) I won't spell out cuz that horse has been beat to death." I bought a CM for the wife so I wouldn't have to admit to owning one on here, but just had to try it out.

That was the "the new fad gun(for the wife) I won't spell out cuz that horse has been beat to death." I bought a CM for the wife so I wouldn't have to admit to owning one on here, but just had to try it out.

This is wayyyy too funny!!! As the wise man always says, "That's a hornet's nest that I'm not gonna kick!!!" I only threw the 6.5 Creed in with the .270 Winchester comment to get the ball rolling here. I think that there are some really "short" calibers (WSM RSUM) stuff that has some good ballistics, and I do like the 300PRC, however believe that there's not enough difference from the 300WinMag to make me go out and have to purchase a rifle in that caliber. I'm pretty much old school, believe that if one were to compare the older cartridges/calibers to the "new" designer ones that are being promoted today there's really not enough difference to warrant changing over if one considers the distances being hunted at and the game that is being harvested.

Human nature seems to dictate that the next best gun or caliber is just within reach. After looking a lifetime, i have made full circle, and started using my 270 win and 35 whelen. The long range bug bit me about 30 years or so ago. Not many scopes or the bullets to accomplish my goals then.
Now my new challenge after retirement and less spending cash has got me to taking guns off the pawn shop shelf, and getting them to shoot well with good accuracy. Bedding stocks and floating the barrel with good handloads has opened up a new world.
Bullets now adays are a lot better than they were 40 years ago. If you can get everything just right (great handloads). A lot of guns that were not keepers now with proper handloading are definitely keepers.
Chasing down the next adventure begins in gun magazines and now the internet has opened up the world, to a lot of new calibers, and gun styles.
When the 7mm rem mag came out in the 60's, i like a lot of other people believed what they read before chronographs came about. Now with chonographs in just about every reloading room. Now we finally know the truth. Gun writers fan these flames and the next best thing is always just around the next corner. The gun companies love this because it means new sales. Even the old thutty thutty is making a resurgence here in the southeast. Cheap ammo and good guns make this possible.
Now adays long range shooting and hunting is more in vogue. Usually an exotic caliber, and bullets get the nod today. I like to see this because a new generation is getting interested in all things guns.

Human nature seems to dictate that the next best gun or caliber is just within reach. After looking a lifetime, i have made full circle, and started using my 270 win and 35 whelen. The long range bug bit me about 30 years or so ago. Not many scopes or the bullets to accomplish my goals then.
Now my new challenge after retirement and less spending cash has got me to taking guns off the pawn shop shelf, and getting them to shoot well with good accuracy. Bedding stocks and floating the barrel with good handloads has opened up a new world.
Bullets now adays are a lot better than they were 40 years ago. If you can get everything just right (great handloads). A lot of guns that were not keepers now with proper handloading are definitely keepers.
Chasing down the next adventure begins in gun magazines and now the internet has opened up the world, to a lot of new calibers, and gun styles.
When the 7mm rem mag came out in the 60's, i like a lot of other people believed what they read before chronographs came about. Now with chonographs in just about every reloading room. Now we finally know the truth. Gun writers fan these flames and the next best thing is always just around the next corner. The gun companies love this because it means new sales. Even the old thutty thutty is making a resurgence here in the southeast. Cheap ammo and good guns make this possible.
Now adays long range shooting and hunting is more in vogue. Usually an exotic caliber, and bullets get the nod today. I like to see this because a new generation is getting interested in all things guns.
Hell, in Alabama, the woods never changed, so it never stopped being popular. :D Just about everyone I know started out hunting as a kid, using an old Marlin 336 .30-30 Win. I know I did...With it's old 1960's Galaxy 4x fixed-power and see-thru rings. ;)

Also, on your factory shooter endeavor, a good hand-lapping of the bore makes a night & day difference in both accuracy and how easily it cleans up and how little copper it will collect.

The goal was always to learn how to hand load on my 308, then switch over to my 270 and see what I can out of her. Dies are sitting there in the drawer, but still havent got where I want with the 308. Hopefully get a new scale off ebay if I win the auction in a couple hours then get me back on track and get the 308 where i wanted to be. Then I want to start playing the 270 because let's face it, at least half of us have some unexplained love affair with the old 270

I think it is partially because of man's desire to "see what is over the next mountain". Without that drive, we would still be in the horse and wagons. The desire to continuously improve, coupled with our chase of accuracy nervana and perfection would be my guesses. Plus, the simple fact that guns are fun and intriguing... and most of us can't afford them all, so we "switch out" occasionally.

This is wayyyy too funny!!! As the wise man always says, "That's a hornet's nest that I'm not gonna kick!!!" I only threw the 6.5 Creed in with the .270 Winchester comment to get the ball rolling here. I think that there are some really "short" calibers (WSM RSUM) stuff that has some good ballistics, and I do like the 300PRC, however believe that there's not enough difference from the 300WinMag to make me go out and have to purchase a rifle in that caliber. I'm pretty much old school, believe that if one were to compare the older cartridges/calibers to the "new" designer ones that are being promoted today there's really not enough difference to warrant changing over if one considers the distances being hunted at and the game that is being harvested.
The 300 RUM is quite a bit more than the 300win. mag , as for both being 300 magnums ! It also has a lot more recoil then the 300 Winchester Magnum and that needs to be considered too, a break on the RUM is a big help !

When I was young I bought a 7mm RM, I just looked at what would shoot fast and flat. Years later I wanted to build up a 7mm RUM, for the same reasons but never had the money (thankfully). When I finally had money I got a nice Tikka T3 Lite SS in 30-06 and reloading equipment. I wanted a light weight mountain rifle I could load for inexpensively with the most bullet options that could kill anything near and far.

Now I wan't to build up a 280AI, someday.

When I was young the weight of the rifle never mattered. Now it does. Thus recoil does. In 10 more years I will be shooting a youths .243 probably :-(

I just spent a few minutes looking through the classifieds and noticed there's a whole lot more custom rifles for sale than factory it seems, and lots of higher powered rifles and fewer low powered. So it's got me thinking, it could be just that everybody here gave up on factory stuff long ago and doesn't have any of those left to sell. That's one possibility. But the big caliber and magnums has me wondering is everybody selling off their custom 300wm's to get into a 7ss or something like that? Do people buy big and then regret it? Just curious if it's a trend, or just today.

For the price of a lot of factory guns these days, it makes more sense to just build a semi custom rifle. The easiest way to finance a full custom rifle is to sell off the semi custom you had built a year or so ago. The long range shooting community is growing so right now you're seeing more people who've sold off their factory guns to build a semi custom, and now they're selling off their semi custom to build a full custom.

As far as caliber goes, I think it's just a bi-product of a new batch of shooters getting into the sport. The larger guns are just too expensive to shoot for shooters who're just getting into the sport. How many folks in their early 20's can afford to go shoot a 338 Lapua on a regular basis? You'll get young guys who're looking to for the ultimate long range rifle so the they drop their whole budget building a 338 of some kind and they're into it $3K. What they didn't account for is the cost per shot after the gun was built. I don't think it has as much to do with an inability to control a large caliber, they just can't afford it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.