Confused! lots of customs for sale?

birdiemc

I just spent a few minutes looking through the classifieds and noticed there's a whole lot more custom rifles for sale than factory it seems, and lots of higher powered rifles and fewer low powered. So it's got me thinking, it could be just that everybody here gave up on factory stuff long ago and doesn't have any of those left to sell. That's one possibility. But the big caliber and magnums has me wondering is everybody selling off their custom 300wm's to get into a 7ss or something like that? Do people buy big and then regret it? Just curious if it's a trend, or just today.

Having worked in a gun store before... I can attest, that LOTS of people want to be Rambo and buy the biggest **** rifle they can because they think it will make them cool, or look like a badass, or someone recommended they buy it, and they don't know anything about guns... They shoot less than a box of ammo through it, and bring it back for something smaller because it hurts to shoot it. There's lots of barely used magnums, ultra-mags, lapuas, etc... sitting on used gun racks across the country at discount prices, and still collecting dust.

Personally, I'm not recoil-sensitive, but it seems a lot of folks are.

That being said, I think a lot of the guys on here just like trying different stuff. They'll build something and shoot it for a while, then they get the itch to try something else, so they sell the old rifle, and build a new one. Sort of like I do with cars & trucks... I buy a new one, drive it a few years and keep the miles down on it, then when a new one comes out that I like, and I find a model with all the options I want, and get the deal I want on it, I upgrade to the new model. :D

For me it's like I was with motorcycles as soon as I finished one I already had ideas for the next? The first one was fine though. I only have 4 customs 22-250, 6.5 X 284, 300WM.338L Like I said I have a 6.5 X 47L (no CM ) in the advanced planning stage?
But I have a good mix of calibers?

Years ago when I was younger I felt I needed a .338 for my elk hunting. As the years went by I went down in cal . For the last 20 years or so I found that the 6.5's like the 6.5x55, 260 Rem., 6.5-06 will accomplish the same task with milder recoil . Far more enjoyable to shoot in my opinion. . Perhaps others have had the same experience & sold off their heavy hitters. Many times some need money & might feel a custom rifle will bring them a larger amount than a factory. Maybe.

Factory rifles are not the quality than a good long range hunter needs. Its not so much the caliber as it is the accuracy needed for the longer shots.

And as Mud said, Lots of people just buy because it sounds cool or is the biggest. some do think that a custom rifle will automatically make them shoot better, but most of these folks are not skilled enough to make it a benefit to them. I have had many factory rifles and many of them were match grade and some have shot well, even 1/2 MOA, but none have consistently shot groups less than 1/10th MOA.

So If a person is truly a long range shooter and plans to hunt over 7 or 800 yards for real, then he is going to build a custom rifle. And even though we can dream and talk about extreme shots, most of the time those shots don't present themselves very often. So the best we can do is to practice and build a extremely accurate rifle so we can be ready if a long shot presents it's self.

The only other reason to own a custom is the pride of owning a one of a kind.

J E CUSTOM

This all makes sense. I might get there one day. My problem is every gun I've sold or traded I've regretted, so now I'm just a hoarder, or on my way to becoming one anyway. Lots of you guys got me beat hands down on that one haha
That makes 2 of us... I'm the same way. I always regret when I sell something I didn't really want to, but needed to free-up the funds for something else (robbing Peter to pay Paul). So, now I just hoard/collect guns, and save up for the next one, even if it takes a few years in between builds/buys.

I think most of the big magnums being sold here are being replaced by Creedmoors since they kill just as well with half the recoil and twice the accuracy.
Partially true...The 6.5 CM has firmly established itself as an extremely accurate chambering without a doubt. I even own a couple. Twice as accurate compared to a magnum built by a tier one builder? That's not exactly accurate. Ask dudes who run a Ryan Pierce build, or a Accurate Ordnance, or a GAP, and on and on.

Straight 7mags, 7WSM, 28N that are mechanical feats of engineering will produce 1/2 MOA or even better. Same for .30 cals by same builders and alike.

Your statement doesn't carry the water, unless you meant a 6.5 CM coming out of a cardboard box will likely print better than a mass produced magnum. Chances are good you may be right on the accuracy part.

"Killing well" is subjective. Aside from dead is dead. You hit any thing in the eye, and it's drt...

Stoning an elk at 750 yards with one and done from a magnum versus hitting an elk with a 6.5 CM at same distance but elk runs 50-60-70 yards then piles up. They only common denominator is it's dead, but not killed better.

If the post was sarcasm...I'm Laffin... 6.5 Creedmoor, unicorns, rainbows and lots of pixie dust all go together, along with the 270 Win.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.