Confused! lots of customs for sale?

A bit of toppic... Over here in South Africa everything is getting more expensive deu to the weakening rand and import tax. I boght a ruger 338 win mag as n large game rifle(not big game. Kudu, gemsbuck, ex.) Exelant rifle. But deu to the rise in ammo cost, i do reload, but stil. The 338 win is just to expensive to shoot so it sits in the safe. I use my 270win now.

The one thing my first custom did was make to make factory look boring. Not to be a snobby or anything but I have a few factory rifles and will never let them go. Now I am trying to go back and make my main ones custom. I also remember a time I wanted everything I saw now I just want a few I see. Don't know what happened must be getting old. Once the custom bug bites I think it's hard to go back. Just my opinion

I can't seem to let go of any gun I own. That never even comes to mind when I make a purchase. I can't afford $3+k guns unless I give up hunting or eating.......and I didn't get to my size by missing meals!
I'd venture to say that lots of folks who have that same opinion could sell some of the guns they own and don't shoot, to afford a custom that they might actually shoot.
I've personally gotten more out of focusing my efforts on 3 really nice rifles than 15 mediocre ones.

Addressing the original post. I think once you make the commitment to get into custom builds it's easier to stay on that level of gun. You buy/sell/trade just like a $600 rifle and it doesn't hurt as much. Even for a poor boy like me..

Having been testing and evaluating rifles for twenty years I can say that when you buy a custom rifle you are getting maybe another 1/2MOA in accuracy and bragging rights. Factory rifles are more accurate than they were twenty years ago. Ammunition is more accurate due to better bullets. I own some custom and factory rifles that shoot equally as well. Face it when you buy "custom" you are buying a name, maybe a little better accuracy and better resale if the maker is known.

To me a real custom is where you choose the caliber and all the parts to meet your needs.

Well I'm going to say the Custom Build Bug got me when I joined here ! I was a complete gun buyer before no customs just nice looking factory Rifles . Now I cant wait to get up in the morning to see what was posted for sale ! I didnt just get bit I was swallowed up !! My latest two are parts from lots of members here !
I'm working on two 338's right now . One in a Benchmark 30 " in 338 Rum and the other is a 30" Proof in 338 Edge ! Yes the 338 bug attacked me also , I'm sporting 6 right now and still looking ! I do have the wicked 6.5 Creedmore in a Ruger Rpr but havent chamberd a round yet . I just cant let go of the big boys yet !
Spring Bear is just a month away or so and No way is the Creedmore getting used !! Lol
Anyway Thank you guys for selling your parts !! It keeps me busy .

RumMan

I just spent a few minutes looking through the classifieds and noticed there's a whole lot more custom rifles for sale than factory it seems, and lots of higher powered rifles and fewer low powered. So it's got me thinking, it could be just that everybody here gave up on factory stuff long ago and doesn't have any of those left to sell. That's one possibility. But the big caliber and magnums has me wondering is everybody selling off their custom 300wm's to get into a 7ss or something like that? Do people buy big and then regret it? Just curious if it's a trend, or just today.

People will always complicate things unnecessarily.

Well I'm going to say the Custom Build Bug got me when I joined here ! I was a complete gun buyer before no customs just nice looking factory Rifles . Now I cant wait to get up in the morning to see what was posted for sale ! I didnt just get bit I was swallowed up !! My latest two are parts from lots of members here !

Anyway Thank you guys for selling your parts !! It keeps me busy .

RumMan
I've had stop watching the classifieds daily....too many awesome deals pop up at 5am. I was just minding my own business the all the sudden my gun closet is overflowing with spare actions and barrels and triggers and rings. I'm like granny with the home shopping network!

Having worked in a gun store before... I can attest, that LOTS of people want to be Rambo and buy the biggest ---- rifle they can because they think it will make them cool, or look like a badass, or someone recommended they buy it, and they don't know anything about guns... They shoot less than a box of ammo through it, and bring it back for something smaller because it hurts to shoot it. There's lots of barely used magnums, ultra-mags, lapuas, etc... sitting on used gun racks across the country at discount prices, and still collecting dust.

Personally, I'm not recoil-sensitive, but it seems a lot of folks are.

That being said, I think a lot of the guys on here just like trying different stuff. They'll build something and shoot it for a while, then they get the itch to try something else, so they sell the old rifle, and build a new one. Sort of like I do with cars & trucks... I buy a new one, drive it a few years and keep the miles down on it, then when a new one comes out that I like, and I find a model with all the options I want, and get the deal I want on it, I upgrade to the new model. :D
Mudd's last paragraph is me totally.
I've bought and built rifles, then I work getting them to shoot a few different bullets, ringing out all I can from them with the common rifle accuracy techniques, bedding, etc.
After that, I'm bored with the rifle. It seems when I get one shooting really well, then it no longer teases my brain, so I sell it. I have sold "used" rifles that only had a 50 or so rounds thru it doing load development.
Basically, I buy a rifle, reload and get the best data possible for it. Then I sell it at a discounted price, with all the load work done. Lol

Having worked in a gun store before... I can attest, that LOTS of people want to be Rambo and buy the biggest ---- rifle they can because they think it will make them cool, or look like a badass, or someone recommended they buy it, and they don't know anything about guns... They shoot less than a box of ammo through it, and bring it back for something smaller because it hurts to shoot it. There's lots of barely used magnums, ultra-mags, lapuas, etc... sitting on used gun racks across the country at discount prices, and still collecting dust.

Personally, I'm not recoil-sensitive, but it seems a lot of folks are.

That being said, I think a lot of the guys on here just like trying different stuff. They'll build something and shoot it for a while, then they get the itch to try something else, so they sell the old rifle, and build a new one. Sort of like I do with cars & trucks... I buy a new one, drive it a few years and keep the miles down on it, then when a new one comes out that I like, and I find a model with all the options I want, and get the deal I want on it, I upgrade to the new model. :D

Hi Mudrunner, I have a similar story about large calibers. When I first started black bear hunting I wanted a large caliber rifle. I have a safe full of Ruger 77 tang safety rifles, so started looking for one in a large caliber. One day I found one in a gun shop at a pretty good price, did some horse trading and bought it. Took the rifle to the range to sight in the scope ( couldn't wait), fired four rounds, put the rifle back in the case and took it back to the place where I bought it. That SOB of a rifle kicked more that two mules with steel snowshoes on!!! Traded back the Ruger 77 in 30-06 that was part of the horse trading, had it rebored to 35 Whelen and never looked back. In this particular case, I found that sometimes bigger isn't always better; the Whelen gets the job done just fine and it is easy on the shoulder.

I've had stop watching the classifieds daily....too many awesome deals pop up at 5am. I was just minding my own business the all the sudden my gun closet is overflowing with spare actions and barrels and triggers and rings. I'm like granny with the home shopping network!

You're looking in the wrong section at 5:00 AM, you have to look in the larger gun safe classifieds first.:rolleyes:;);)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts