Common Question

John M
I read your bowhunting story about trying to help the kid, You can try to act mean but it is obvious that in person you are pretty nice guy.

Conservation of momentum is very simple mathmatically. Doesn't involve calculus, differential equations nor numerical analysis. All of the data needed for the calculation is available on this forum from people who are well known for honesty.

Run the numbers yourself and you will see that he bought the right gun.

P.S. Anybody who knows as much as you about bowhunting should have already told the guy he did all right with his gun selection. And don't give me all of this tracking BS because if you bowhunt you track and are good at it.

PSS - MIT ??? You should have gone to a good school like the University of Alabama where we know how to play football.

BuffaloBob, I am a nice guy. Sometimes I use sarcasm as humor and it doesn't translate well over the computer.
You actually sound like a nice guy as well.

I re-read my last post and see that it came a cross obnoxiously. I was trying to be funny.

I said before that the 257 wby will work. Just not the best choice.

As far football I went to Nevada-Reno in the mid-80's when it was still div2. Played Mike linebacker there (sometimes Ted in the 3-4)and when I was in HS as well. I still rattle when I walk!

Alabama? I would have gotten my head handed to me!
NY boys DON'T go to southern schools.
(see more sarcasm!)

I loved playing the game and still do. Except now its touch football on the family holidays. Most people have no idea what is really involved in football. Its literaly like a war with generals on either side orchestrating the battle plans.
And the soldiers have to be trained, conditioned, diciplined, and prepared.

By the way, the bowhuntimng kid was a real putz!
We weren't tracking deer, we were walking back to where the trucks were parked and spotted them ahead of us.

John

I entered what you said into my computer and here is what came back

****RUNTIME ERROR********

*****DATAFILE : LINE 300 (FOOTBALL PLAYER) CONFLICTS LINE 400 (pHD APPLIED MATHMETICIAN)

****REENTER STUDENT ID # AND RESUBMIT WATFOR/FORTAN IV JOB ****

Maybe you are not old enough to remember the old computer punch cards. Just a little funny about stereotypes.

Anyway back to the subject:

Inelastic deformation can use up all of the momentum of a bullet. I am going to put some Nosler Accubonds in a bench vise tonight and whack them with a 3 pound hammer to try to understand how much momentum is lost on a well constructed game bullet. Same thing with a varmint bullet. Arm speed with the hammer is a critical question. Dropping a brick from a known heigth might work but the impact has to be exactly perpindicular. Nosler Accubonds are not cheap either.

I think what I have done so far will hold up anyway but for best results with the smaller caliber when one is operating on the edge of success one would want to consider bullets where there is minimum momentum loss from bullet shape and weight change.

Slightly different subject--

Do you remember Gar and the Marlim? Go look on your wall or in the garage or (in my case) the washroom at some of the racks you have and think what you had to know about hunting to get those racks. After that, go else where on the forum and breathe in deeply through your nose and see if you smell fish. Just my opinion!

Arm speed should be similar if you could line the bullets up and hit one after the other. Similar to E.O. Thorps theory about roulette where he states that the dealer spins the ball almost exactly the same speed every time thru repitition.

I developed a theory called "time isolated statistics". But, every mathmatician disagrees with me. I still hold to it. If you ever want to talk stuff like that, drop me an email. Its hard to find people that even know what you are talking about. Even if they never played football!

Credentials being checked, eh? Whatever?

Here's the deal; for separating the pepper from the fly [censored].

In discussing the merits of the cartridge (ie: 257 Wby) we also need to consider the potential of the firearm in question, and it's (suit)ability as a 600 yard deer rifle. Be serious, guys.

Good hunting. LB

Paul,

I don't know if you are still listining through all of this bull but if you are I wanted to throw my opinion in. Chances are the deer you are hunting are not alberta giants weighing upwards of 300lbs and like you said the maximum distance you will shoot is 600yds.

I think you caliber is definantly okay for this range for hunting whitails at this range. Just use a good bullet and reloading would really help.

As far as it being a skinny barrel gun no one here knows if it will shot accuratly this far, including myself. You will have to work out to this range and simply practice, then you will know.

Good Luck and send us some pics of the big deer you kill with it.

Good Luck
Steve

I have made a 1 shot kill on a small fork mule deer at a measured 604 yards with my 25-06 and a 115g BT. The buck was hit in the shoulders and went about 20 yards or so then died. It had roughly right at 1000 lbs of energy at the deer. Thats what I go by. Obviously the .257 Weatherby Magnum is gonna out do the 25-06 by at least 200fps. It is at least a 700 yard killer in terms of numbers on a computer screen, but if thats what everyone insists on going by, then by all means the 257 WM will kill farther then the 25-06. Funny how some say its no more then a 300 or 400 yarder, but I'm only shooting at the largest a big 4x4. Usually my bucks dress out at 120 lbs.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.