Christianson arms 338 ultra mag

Clemensp06

Does anyone know anything about Christianson arms weapons? I want a caliber for a 1000yd elk gun and am thinking about the 338 Remington Ultra Mag. I don't want any wildcat stuff because I want to be able to buy factory ammo if needed. What do you guys think about the caliber and gun company?

If it were me, I would stay away from Christiensen and use a reputable gun smith. If you have to have a carbon barrel, I would suggest a ABS barrel. 338 RUM would get her done but dont overlook the 300 RUM. You will get identical velocity with 200 grain bullets and the 300 RUM 200 grainers have a much higher BC than the 338's. A 200 grain ACCUBOND is plenty for elk and at 300 RUM velocities with its high BC, 800-1K at elk altitudes will be plenty of ooomf.

PS, Welcome

Well, I own a Carbon Extreme in 300WSM and haven't had any problems with it. However, I know a man who has a 338 mag [ not sure if it's win or ultra] and I believe he just travelled to the factory to talk to somebody in a most personal way as he has recieved no satisfaction with the gun or service. I won't buy another, I already knew that a Light Rifle would Recoil, and let me tell you it does. Can't say I'd enjoy the Ultra Mag in the same gun. I think that I'd look to Kirby Allen or Shawn Carlock on this site and have them put one together for me. They will put a better barrel on the action you choose, it will be true and you won't have to wonder if it will shoot when you get it. Just how I would do it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Mark

Do-not-buy-a-rifle-from-Christianson-arms.-Have-Kirby-or-Shawn-build-you-one-of-their-custom-rigs.-You-will-get-a-true-custom-rifle.-If-I-were-you-I-would-either-go-with-the-338-Khan-by-Kirby-or-the-338-Edge-by-Shawn.-Kirby-is-currently-building-my-338-Allen-Mag-which-is-a-408Chey-Tac-necked-down-to-338-and-Improved.-It-will-shoot-a-300grn-MK-at-around-3500fps.-Have-fun-and-good-luck.

Wildcat

I'll tell you about the Christensen Carbon Extreme in 300WSM I purchased.It is a Rem 700 action that has been lightened and trued, the bolt is spiral fluted and trued, the trigger is worked and very smooth, and crisp, probably breaks around 1 3/4 - 2 lbs. The barrel is a Shilen 24" turned down and carbon wrapped, [not sure of the grade]but it had alot of tooling? marks that took alot of work to remove, it is fitted with a removable brake. The magazine and bottom metal are rem 700, haven't had any feeding issues. The stock is Christensen Arms Graphite stock, fitted with a Simms Limbsaver recoil pad.I beleive when I weighed it without scope or mounts it came in at just over 5 1/2 lbs. I mounted a Leupold VX-L 4.14 X 56 in leupold mounts and the whole thing weighs 7lbs 2 oz. After some load work and alot of JB in the barrel it shoots 165grn Scirroco's in at .59, [ 5 shots @ 100 yds]. It still has a rough place in the barrel about half way that takes a while to clean. It will shoot 180's and 200's but I'm gonna have to pushem way down in the case on top of the powder, cause it's got a short magazine.[ wish I had thought of that before I bought it, my own fault]

The stock seems a little flimsy? to me and is quite loud and sounds hollow, it is not hard to compress towards the barrel just by squeezing, the bolt handle has three holes in it that I can see weakening it under a hard bolt lift. The muzzle brake was very poorly finished inside, with burrs around every port.

I bought it to pack and it will work, but for the money I spent, I think I could have done better with a smith from this sight. Oh yea, the thing about light rifles is they have noticable recoil /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif This one has a great deal of muzzle lift, in 338RUM I'm guessin it will too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Hope it helps
Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.