Cheep scope for new rifle

the vortex viper runs from 299-459. i think you are confusing the viper with the viper pst

Could be. acronyms at my age are all confusing. I had a hard time figuring out what a CVT transmission was compared to a Honda CRT and if you have a CVT in a CRT does that mean you own something special??? Very confusing..... My last tractor was a M9000HDCC3, hows that for a moniker.

I have a couple Viper PST's but I have yet to figure out what a Viper PA is....

PA to me is Pennsylvania...... It's also what my kid calls me when I'm around to hear. I imagine I'm the 'old man' or that f'in idiot when I'm not around......

Maybe I can be enlightened. I'd ask my kid (I'm sure he knows) but I don't want to appear 'dated' in his eyes.....:)

He wants the combination to my gun safe but he ain't getting it.....

Could be. acronyms at my age are all confusing. I had a hard time figuring out what a CVT transmission was compared to a Honda CRT and if you have a CVT in a CRT does that mean you own something special??? Very confusing..... My last tractor was a M9000HDCC3, hows that for a moniker.

I have a couple Viper PST's but I have yet to figure out what a Viper PA is....

PA to me is Pennsylvania...... It's also what my kid calls me when I'm around to hear. I imagine I'm the 'old man' or that f'in idiot when I'm not around......

Maybe I can be enlightened. I'd ask my kid (I'm sure he knows) but I don't want to appear 'dated' in his eyes.....:)

He wants the combination to my gun safe but he ain't getting it.....

:D

The PA is the Parallax Adjust model. The PST's are VERY nice and are a bit pricier, but the "regular" Vipers are great scopes as well. I think my next scope will likely be a PST for the .308 AR I am going to build.

OP: I also have a couple of Monarchs, for the money I would go Viper. As good or better glass and (IMO) better reticle choices.

I am very impressed w/ the Redfield Revolution and everyone else who bought one at the range where I am from agrees. When reading the 5 star reviews, it's true when others compare this model to high end scopes. Just thought I would mention my experience w/ the 4x12x40. I have owned the the Nikon Buckmaster mentioned and the Viper and whats nice regarding the Revolution is that it's cheaper and just as worthy, especially the accu-range reticle which works really well out to 600 yards. Take care.

IMHO you can't go wrong with anything produced by Leupold and I think they struck a homerun by buying Redfield and offering a great line of products, including the Revolution, with their warranty! I have very few rifles that don't have Leupolds on them and they're on all my "go to" ones.

Just popped over to Natchez shooting supply and found a couple of options. A Monarch 4x16x50 sf bdc ret. refurbished for 329.95 or a Monarch 4x16 x42 sf mil dot ret. refurbished for 299.95. I have three nikon refurbs and I have been happy with all of them. The Monarchs are some good Jap glass.lightbulb

I have had no problems at all. Nikon has gone through them and fixed the problems. It's a way to get better glass than you could afford otherwise. They come with a warranty so if it still has a problem you can send it back.

Personally I can't see buying refurbished stuff knowing that someone else already had problems with it that the company has had to fix!

Depends on what all if anything was done to the item. If a scope is mounted and the finish isnt perfect and someone decides they really dont want that model and sends it back....it cant be sold as "new"...

IMHO every Leupold scope I have owned or looked through had dingy yellowish glass. I bought several before I realized they are all show and no go.

IMHO every Leupold scope I have owned or looked through had dingy yellowish glass. I bought several before I realized they are all show and no go.

I've had just the opposite experience with Leupold/Nikon. I own two Leupold VX-3's (similar class of scope in my opinion) and previously owned a Nikon Monarch in similar magnification ranges. To me, the Leupolds blow the Nikon away. I did a lot of shooting at my range in the evenings with the sun setting just off to the left of my target at my shooting range and struggled every time with glare on my Nikon and had very little trouble with my Leupolds. Also when you get into the higher mag of the Nikon, eye box was incredibly critical, not near as much as the Leupold. To my eyes the Leupold glass was much clearer and brighter than the Nikon and much easier to use, so I totally disagree with the Leupold being all show and no go statement. Now, I have looked through and used worse scopes than the Nikon, but not my Leupolds..

I'll have to go along with rimjob and his comments regarding the negative Leupold evaluation. A person making those kinds of negative statements may need to have a really good eye exam and I mean that with no disrespect since one big thing Leupolds are known for is their clarity. I was also referring to internal scope problems when I was commenting about buying refurbished stuff. If it is being resold just because of some cosmetic defects I would agree that you can get some very good deals.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.